John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Performance DM R1T Max Pack, BMW X3
Occupation
EV Enthusiast
Clubs

I plan on doing the same when I get my truck.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
Nicely done. Hopefully it will last. Probably the only reason I haven't done this is I rarely use the fob... which is probably a reason I should do this because I can never remember where the buttons are at and forget about seeing them in low light.

I'm a bit surprised Rivian didn't spend the extra $2.50 on a multi-colored silicone cover.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
You can do better than that by lightly and patiently scraping off excess paint with an xacto knife.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
@txtravwill .. you did an excellent job!

I only painted one icon in each row.. I painted the Unlock symbol and the Frunk Open symbol. I figured as long as I can see those.. I know what is directly across from it.

Sponsored

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Fixed my fob where didn't have to memorize the hard to see buttons as much with a sharpie fine point paint pen.

IMG_20230813_160124291_MP.jpg
I do laser engraving and have engraved silicone watchbands. I bought some silicone ink that would not rub off. It would work in your application....problem is, it is expensive. A 1/4 ounce of the ink (with the color and activator) was about $60.

OP
OP
txtravwill

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
I do laser engraving and have engraved silicone watchbands. I bought some silicone ink that would not rub off. It would work in your application....problem is, it is expensive. A 1/4 ounce of the ink (with the color and activator) was about $60.
ah may check out. this seems to hold up as don't use the buttons that often and since they are sunk in some, we'll see. worst case can just reapply every so often into the little grooves.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

I forgot to add that our FOB is hanging on the key chain holder. I use my phone and if need be, I have the card in my wallet.

redantpile

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 EDGE, 2023 R1S red adventure 20"
Occupation
Retired telephone engineer
Clubs

Did mine last month. Sloppy, but better than stock 🙃. Picked up one of these covers, as well:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C3TB6J2X

1692023115244.png
That's interesting. What do you think of the product? Looks like it adds a little bulk to the fob.
It would be good if they could print the symbols on the cover. Maybe laser etching so it is permanent and burnt in.

Sponsored

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

That's interesting. What do you think of the product? Looks like it adds a little bulk to the fob.
It would be good if they could print the symbols on the cover. Maybe laser etching so it is permanent and burnt in.
I like it. It does make it a little thicker, but it just lives in one of my pants' pockets, anyway. For the price, the extra protection seems worth it.

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
Did mine last month. Sloppy, but better than stock 🙃. Picked up one of these covers, as well:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C3TB6J2X

1692023115244.png
I have the same cover, icons are impossible to see with or without the cover. I tried using the fine tip pen, but wasn’t happy with the result. I resorted to this “low tech“ method with my label maker until this https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/【update-now-available】how-do-you-like-this-key-fob.17271/post-376350 arrives.

Rivian R1T R1S Fob + fine paint pen IMG_5655

Last edited:

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Used paint from pen, dabbed onto a piece of scrap plastic. Tip of pen isn’t fine enough, so I used the tip of a toothpick to pick up and drip paint into the fob’s recessed icons. Once paint is dry and won’t smear, used a xacto to lightly scrape off excess paint to get sharp/clean edges. Could probably have used more paint for better coverage. Bit this was good enough for me. Did not bother filling the 2x; it’s easy enough to remember. The protector case from Amazon is pretty clear. Doesn’t add much bulk. But, I use PAAK daily and keep a keycard in my wallet as backup.

Rivian R1T R1S Fob + fine paint pen IMG_9392

rpmtexas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5 Diesel with Lift Kit, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Fixed my fob where didn't have to memorize the hard to see buttons as much with a sharpie fine point paint pen.

IMG_20230813_160124291_MP.jpg
I just did this yesterday. Yours looks better. I didn’t have a fine tip pen so I used a paint brush.

Rivian R1T R1S Fob + fine paint pen IMG_6438

PeterSK

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 FG/FE R1S, 2020 Model Y
Occupation
Retired / board director
Clubs

I went to Staples for a Sharpie fine paint pen - since they came in a multi-color pack I asked my daughter to use red and white. Because the points weren't fine enough, she said it was easier just to fill them in and then scrape off the excess. Came out pretty well.

Rivian R1T R1S Fob + fine paint pen IMG_5239
Sponsored