Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 IONIQ 5, 2011 Leaf, 2010 Odyssey
Occupation
Waiting for R2
To the OP, you are not alone.

I found the Flickinger Park location to be odd,

I hated that the R1S drove like a 3-ton american pickup truck (don't need that after more than a decade of driving an EV.),

And I find the forced one-pedal driving modes to be something i have no interest in dealing with.

I bought an IONIQ 5 instead and am looking forward to the upcoming IONIQ 7. I expect the ride quality and driving-style options to be far superior in that vehicle also.

Rivian on a Rampage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, GMC Sierra, Ford 555, 29 Ford tudor
I hated that the R1S drove like a 3-ton american pickup truck (don't need that after more than a decade of driving an EV.),
All my daily drivers have been american pickup trucks. R1 vehicles are medium-large, but I feel they drive nothing like an american pickup. For me it seems crazy to think that. Maybe I am crazy.

I find it interesting how may vehicles Rivian is compared to. It doesn't ride as smooth as range, doesn't handle like a Porshe, has a smaller bed then f150, Jeep can offroad better, Tesla has better UI, Mercedes interiors a more luxurious. I do not think Rivian is the best at anything but is great at everything. I did not realize how much I liked my Rivian until I drove it for a week and then drove another car. Everyone has their own preference though.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

Would be interested in knowing what version software it had. I was driving a loaner in July that was 4 updates behind. I updated it while I had it.

Edit: May have only been 3 behind now that I think about it.
Not a fan of the last update (34) even though the first few minutes I thought it was better. Slightly more comfortable but much worse handling. Not worth it to me.

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired

And I find the forced one-pedal driving modes to be something i have no interest in dealing with.

I bought an IONIQ 5 instead and am looking forward to the upcoming IONIQ 7. I expect the ride quality and driving-style options to be far superior in that vehicle also.
Going from a 2011 Leaf to a 2023 Rivian is like going from a Yugo to an Escalade, they're on opposite spectrum, there's absolutely no comparison. And one-pedal driving is one of the most important feature of EVs, turning it off is like going back to ice vehicles again. The Rivian has regular and high regen modes to adjust how you want one-pedal driving to perform. I would never want to have the ability to completely turn it off.

Sponsored

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Going from a 2011 Leaf to a 2023 Rivian is like going from a Yugo to an Escalade, they're on opposite spectrum, there's absolutely no comparison. And one-pedal driving is one of the most important feature of EVs, turning it off is like going back to ice vehicles again. The Rivian has regular and high regen modes to adjust how you want one-pedal driving to perform. I would never want to have the ability to completely turn it off.
Dudes got a 2010 minivan and a 2011 leaf and knocking how a R1S drives....you can't make it up :CWL:

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

Considering that it is an American 3.5 ton pickup/SUV, not sure what you were expecting…? Expecting it to drive/handle anywhere near an Odyssey or Leaf is completely unrealistic.

All my daily drivers have been american pickup trucks. R1 vehicles are medium-large, but I feel they drive nothing like an american pickup. For me it seems crazy to think that. Maybe I am crazy.

I find it interesting how may vehicles Rivian is compared to. It doesn't ride as smooth as range, doesn't handle like a Porshe, has a smaller bed then f150, Jeep can offroad better, Tesla has better UI, Mercedes interiors a more luxurious. I do not think Rivian is the best at anything but is great at everything. I did not realize how much I liked my Rivian until I drove it for a week and then drove another car. Everyone has their own preference though.
I too have driven full-size American trucks/SUVs for decades. R1 does not drive like OP says at all, and FWIW OP appears to have a Honda and a Leaf as their point of reference. Mildly amusing.

I’ve cornered my R1S at speeds that would have spun out or drifted out of control my other trucks.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Honestly, this site is becoming one of my favorites now. A lot of us now have our vehicles, and we're loving it, then we've got a couple sad sacks that don't like their vehicles, and people like OP and Odyssey racer to spice it up. Hell, I was arguing with @Donald Stanfield a few weeks ago and now he's my fav poster :CWL:

Sponsored

jwanderson88

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
itselectric said "Weird about the test drive location though. Rivian has always conducted those at the service center where I live."

I have to laugh at the things people write accidentally. It livens up an otherwise humdrum discussion. ;)

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

You lost me when you described the wood as "sterile in a Tesla sort of way."

There is nothing about the Rivian interior, minus the reliance on the center screen" that is sterile in a Tesla sort of way. Nothing beats Tesla when it comes to cheap minimalism.

Is the R1S as refined as a BMW X7 or a Range Rover?

No

But that isn't why you are buying an R1S. You are buying it because, for the price, you cannot beat the overall capability, comfort, and speed.

Since you are in the market for a $100K vehicle and you are concerned about refinement, I suggest you look at the BMW iX. That is the pinnacle of refinement in the Luxury SUV segment. It won't be as fast, or capable or agile as the R1S but it probably checks all of your boxes - except the sunroof - but that is unrealistic as there are very few EVs that either have them now or will have them in the future.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
You lost me when you described the wood as "sterile in a Tesla sort of way."

There is nothing about the Rivian interior, minus the reliance on the center screen" that is sterile in a Tesla sort of way. Nothing beats Tesla when it comes to cheap minimalism.

Is the R1S as refined as a BMW X7 or a Range Rover?

No

But that isn't why you are buying an R1S. You are buying it because, for the price, you cannot beat the overall capability, comfort, and speed.

Since you are in the market for a $100K vehicle and you are concerned about refinement, I suggest you look at the BMW iX. That is the pinnacle of refinement in the Luxury SUV segment. It won't be as fast, or capable or agile as the R1S but it probably checks all of your boxes - except the sunroof - but that is unrealistic as there are very few EVs that either have them now or will have them in the future.
Bingo. Rivian accomplished what Tesla tried and failed to do. A modern styled interior is very much a different thing than the cheap minimalism found in a Tesla. Tesla is modern styled for people who don't know what modern styling is.

The best way I can describe it is elegant simplicity. The wood trim is anything but cheap and I'd argue Rivian's execution is some of the best in the industry. I like it better than the flat plane trim in the iX for example as the texture adds an extra level of difficulty and really makes the dash.

Even the Rivian seats with the metal bolsters and the logos in the center are not Spartan in design feel and I'd argue that with quality leather surfaces the Rivian interior would rivial anyone else at that price point. You could put aniline leather in a Tesla and it would still look cheap because there is no style there.

Tesla's drive pretty nice and their tech is good but their styling is a deal breaker for me.

pricedm

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Denver, CO near Rivian and Tesla service centers
Vehicles
Tesla
...I find the forced one-pedal driving modes to be something i have no interest in dealing with.
Why? Do you like wearing down friction brake pads and rotors, plus the expense of maintenance?

Post #260 lists many benefits. And these benefits are even more pronounced for higway driving in the mountains.

lovetowait

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 IONIQ 5, 2011 Leaf, 2010 Odyssey
Occupation
Waiting for R2
Why? Do you like wearing down friction brake pads and rotors, plus the expense of maintenance?

Post #260 lists many benefits. And these benefits are even more pronounced for higway driving in the mountains.

I didn't say anything about using the brakes and I'm not against one-pedal driving as an option.

I think all vehicles should give you the option to coast, pressing neither the gas nor the brake, e.g. without having to feather the gas.

Many EVs allow for this driving style. Right now Rivian does not, because even the lowest Regen settings in Standard mode is faiy aggressive regen if you let off the accelerator.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.