Sponsored

Rivian wall charger charging rate lower than Clipper Creek?

Zman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RT1
I bought the Rivian wall charger whe I got my truck. My wife has the hybrid Jeep and a Clipper Creek charger. Both are running 220. Her charger is blowing the Rivian charger out of the water. Same time for both when we tried. Mine got 7-9 miles per hour while her charger in my Rivian got 17-20 miles per hour.
Any thoughts????
Thanks
Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Our Rivian Wall Charger is on a 60 amp circuit and charges our R1T at 26 mph.

Brian

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
I bought the Rivian wall charger whe I got my truck. My wife has the hybrid Jeep and a Clipper Creek charger. Both are running 220. Her charger is blowing the Rivian charger out of the water. Same time for both when we tried. Mine got 7-9 miles per hour while her charger in my Rivian got 17-20 miles per hour.
Any thoughts????
Thanks
Adjust the Rivian EVSE dipsticks to 20% less than the circuit breaker amperage

Krs71

First Name
Krish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
IT
like other folks said, make sure you have a 60 AMP breaker in your electrical panel for your wiring and also check if your rivian is set to accept 48 AMP charging, I had a similar issue, it was cause the Rivian settings were set to 32 AMPs.
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian wall charger charging rate lower than Clipper Creek? 1699888672181

Sponsored

Florida Panhandler

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Happy camper
Clubs

You will likely cause either a fire or a tripped 60amp breaker without the proper gauge hardwire from the panel to the charger. Simply switching out a 40amp or 50amp breaker to a 60amp is just asking for trouble without knowing the correct wiring is installed.

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Any thoughts????
Thanks
We will need a lot more information to answer/help OP.

Please give us breaker ratings and EVSE settings as well - what ClipperCreek do you have installed HCSxxx?

Garzee

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
like other folks said, make sure you have a 60 AMP breaker in your electrical panel for your wiring and also check if your rivian is set to accept 48 AMP charging, I had a similar issue, it was cause the Rivian settings were set to 32 AMPs.
1699888672181.png
That's what mine did exactly until moving the Charging amperage to 42 amps... then it was golden.

OP
OP

Zman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RT1
Both circuits for both chargers are 40. It was wired in by electricians off the 220 ( sorry if I sound a bit off…electric is not my speciality….leave to the pros). My Rivian is set to 48, but reading the posts I should bring that down. I will get an electrician in to see if I can swap out the 40 amp circuits

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Both circuits for both chargers are 40. It was wired in by electricians off the 220 ( sorry if I sound a bit off…electric is not my speciality….leave to the pros). My Rivian is set to 48, but reading the posts I should bring that down. I will get an electrician in to see if I can swap out the 40 amp circuits
"Circuits" - you need to clarify and understand - is this a 40 Amp breaker, or 40 Amp wiring? If it is 40 Amp, you should not charge any higher than 32 Amps. If you upgrade the breaker, you need to be certain the wiring is properly sized.

Sponsored

FlightDoc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

The most Rivian EVSE can max charge is 48A which requires a 60A breaker (240V) and 6 gauge copper wiring, hardwire, not receptacle. I'm am not an electrician either but your guy should have installed it like that.

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

I use a chargepoint on a 50amp breaker charging at 40amps and get 20-24 miles per hour.....Unless it's cold, it starts at 11 miles per hour, warms up then hits the 20-24.
Sponsored