Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Porsche Taycan, Tesla Model Y, Mini
Occupation
Physician
Disappointingly S L O W Charging Speed on My Juicebox 40
17 MPH

My Taycan and Model Y Charge at nearly DOUBLE that speed

Am I missing a setting to allow faster at Home charging?

Rivian R1T R1S 17 MPH - S L O W Charging Rate 20230415_071003

Rivian R1T R1S 17 MPH - S L O W Charging Rate 20230415_070900

Rivian R1T R1S 17 MPH - S L O W Charging Rate 20230415_070637

Rivian R1T R1S 17 MPH - S L O W Charging Rate 20230415_070514
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
That’s about right for the power you’re putting into the truck. It’s less efficient than your other cars so it’s going to add less miles per kWh.

That’s why the Rivian charger is 48a

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

That’s about right for the power you’re putting into the truck. It’s less efficient than your other cars so it’s going to add less miles per kWh.

That’s why the Rivian charger is 48a
This.
You charge up at a rate - that would be similar to the flow of fuel for ICE. Most people don’t pull up to a gas station and say they are adding however many miles a minute - they say they added 10 gallons.
That 10 gallons would go further Corolla than it would an expedition.

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Yep - Rivian's battery is way bigger, so it's going to take longer to fill up. Just like a truck with a 30 gallon gas tank takes twice as long to fill up as the car with a 15 gallon gas tank when using the same gas pump.

cjones1130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi Q7 , 2023 Red Canyon Rivian R1T
Disappointingly S L O W Charging Speed on My Juicebox 40
17 MPH

Am I missing a setting to allow faster at Home charging?
It's only 40 amps, so the rate of charge you're getting is correct. Your Taycan wasn't charging at "34 MPH"; it has a smaller battery, 80 kWh?, so obv the 135 kWh will take longer to charge.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
As others have mentioned, for the amps available, that is the correct number of miles. With our Rivian charger at 48 Amps we get 21 mi per hour.

CheezyNachos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T Adventure: LA Silver/Dark Mountain
Clubs

It's only 40 amps, so the rate of charge you're getting is correct. Your Taycan wasn't charging at "34 MPH"; it has a smaller battery, 80 kWh?, so obv the 135 kWh will take longer to charge.
Well...

Technically it's both. The Tesla and Porsche have smaller batteries, but they are also more efficient in terms of miles/kWh.

That doesn't change the fact that they are all charging at the same rate with that charger though. It just means that "miles per hour" isn't really the metric OP should be using, because that will obviously be different between a lot of EV's despite charging at the same rate.

cjones1130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well...

Technically it's both. The Tesla and Porsche have smaller batteries, but they are also more efficient in terms of miles/kWh.

That doesn't change the fact that they are all charging at the same rate with that charger though. It just means that "miles per hour" isn't really the metric OP should be using, be because that with obviously be different between a lot of EV's despite charging at the same rate.
True but efficiency has nothing to do w/charge rate. When he is mentioning MPH he's simply stating what miles are being put into his battery per hour, which I think is an acceptable way to think about it. The higher the amps, the more "miles" the charger is able to put into the battery per hour, day, minute, second, etc lol. People won't quit thinking this way for a decade or two.

Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
True but efficiency has nothing to do w/charge rate. When he is mentioning MPH he's simply stating what miles are being put into his battery per hour, which I think is an acceptable way to think about it. The higher the amps, the more "miles" the charger is able to put into the battery per hour, day, minute, second, etc lol. People won't quit thinking this way for a decade or two.
Charge rate in miles per hour has everything to do with efficiency and nothing to do with battery size. That’s why people get bent out of shape when the same exact charger does 30mph on their Tesla and only 15mph on their Rivian.

It’s an absolutely stupid way to think of the charging process. No one has ever stood at a gas pump and filled up their truck and thought that they’d somehow get the same mpg/range afterwards as the car at the next pump just because they’re at the same gas station.

cjones1130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Charge rate in miles per hour has everything to do with efficiency and nothing to do with battery size. That’s why people get bent out of shape when the same exact charger does 30mph on their Tesla and only 15mph on their Rivian.

It’s an absolutely stupid way to think of the charging process. No one has ever stood at a gas pump and filled up their truck and thought that they’d somehow get the same mpg/range afterwards as the car at the next pump just because they’re at the same gas station.
It may take a generation for peoples mentality to change

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Fixed it for you. It never ceases to amaze me that people forget/refuse to recognize the physics of a truck vs a subcompact egg pavement princess. It doesn't matter if it is an ICE or an EV. This truck does things for me that NO other EV out there can even come close to. I also understand that I don't and should never expect it to get the same mi/kWh as a streamlined sedan with 0 offroad capabilities that I have no use for.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Fixed it for you. It never ceases to amaze me that people forget/refuse to recognize the physics of a truck vs a subcompact egg pavement princess. It doesn't matter if it is an ICE or an EV. This truck does things for me that NO other EV out there can even come close to. I also understand that I don't and should never expect it to get the same mi/kWh as a streamlined sedan with 0 offroad capabilities that I have no use for.
The R1T actually has an extremely low drag coefficient, on par with many sedans.
Sponsored