Sponsored

Any clever idea to overcome no Android Auto / Apple Carplay?

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
2024 Rivian R1S Performance Dual Motor Standard+
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Has any one come up with an ingenious idea how use Apple / Android in their R1T /R1S?

I was thinking of having an ipad/tablet that mounted to a magnet hinge under the front center vents. either an Ipad / tablet with cellular connectivity or one that shares the 5G connection to my phone (I use a OnePlus, this is a feature on their devices). This way I can use my YouTube music, google maps, waze, etc... as my media player. I would have this Bluetooth to the car rather than my phone. Text and phone calls would be the only issue.

I don't like the looks of those aftermarket Carplay/ Android auto screens that are available.
Sponsored

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Mapping: Rivian navigation has gotten way better in the last 6 months, and for me it almost always matches Google maps routing exactly.

Music: I use Spotify, but YouTube music works via bluetooth. If you care about audio quality you wouldn't be using YouTube music.

Texting: I have my phone set to announce texts when I'm driving and it does this over bluetooth. I can also just say "Hey Siri" to call or text anyone and it works very well, also over bluetooth.

Haven't missed CarPlay at all really, but I'm not a Waze power user.

OP
OP
narmstrong79

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Mapping: Rivian navigation has gotten way better in the last 6 months, and for me it almost always matches Google maps routing exactly.

Music: I use Spotify, but YouTube music works via bluetooth. If you care about audio quality you wouldn't be using YouTube music.

Texting: I have my phone set to announce texts when I'm driving and it does this over bluetooth. I can also just say "Hey Siri" to call or text anyone and it works very well, also over bluetooth.

TubeYou music quality is pretty close to Spotify IMO. I've had both. I pay for YT premium, for the added google 1 storage, no ads on YT etc... I'm not paying for an additional streaming service. Especially Spotify, who i don't agree with their business practices. https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/spotify-vs-youtube-music/

The only thing from Android Auto i will miss is how well integrated it all is. Calls, Text, Notification, warnings on goggle maps/waze its more of a comfort of being in the ecosystem really.

OP
OP
narmstrong79

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Sponsored

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

Thanks, I personally don't like those.
Easy install. I HIGHLY recommend it and would have paid double for it considering I now have 30+ more apps incl. Waze, texts et. al; I refuse to use Rivian's horrible Navigation and half-a$$ implementations of Spotify, etc. #ItJustWorks

OP
OP
narmstrong79

narmstrong79

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Easy install. I HIGHLY recommend it and would have paid double for it considering I now have 30+ more apps incl. Waze, texts et. al; I refuse to use Rivian's horrible Navigation and half-a$$ implementations of Spotify, etc. #ItJustWorks
I'm sure it works fine. There are plenty of these on Amazon (ie. https://amzn.to/4cSCdMb. Which I think is the same hardware, EVline just makes a bracket and added startup graphics). I'm not a fan of how they look installed or the specs on these. May go this route, but was seeing who had more clever ideas.

Last edited:

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

I'm sure it works fine. There are plenty of these on Amazon (ie. https://amzn.to/4cSCdMb). I'm not a fan of how they look installed or the specs on these. May go this route, but was seeing who had more clever ideas.
Sure there are plenty of them, but this one was specifically made for Rivian dash easy install with a Rivian-specific bracket requiring no screws etc for easy install and taps into the fuse box.

Typical excellent Rivian-specific product designed and delivered by @evsportline. Again, HIGHLY recommend.

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Sponsored

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

Has any one come up with an ingenious idea how use Apple / Android in their R1T /R1S?

I was thinking of having an ipad/tablet that mounted to a magnet hinge under the front center vents. either an Ipad / tablet with cellular connectivity or one that shares the 5G connection to my phone (I use a OnePlus, this is a feature on their devices). This way I can use my YouTube music, google maps, waze, etc... as my media player. I would have this Bluetooth to the car rather than my phone. Text and phone calls would be the only issue.

I don't like the looks of those aftermarket Carplay/ Android auto screens that are available.
You can connect an iPad to the Rivian hotspot, and if you use an iPhone, you can make/take calls and text/iMessage/Facetime on iPad and iPhone on the same network (Rivian Hotspot). Its LTE and has better coverage than 5G, albeit bit slower - not slow enough that buffer runs out and lags during playback on video.

Personally, I have not bothered to do it. Maybe on the next road trip.

tpberding

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS2

I don’t miss CarPlay. Save your money.

TNutz

First Name
Taft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Finance Leader

100% agree. I have not missed CarPlay. Additional add you can send routes to your Rivian from google maps. Also I use My Amazon music account that is integrated.

SactownD

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Professor
CarPlay is better, but the Rivian system gets the job done. Just waiting for texting and Apple Music and then would be mostly good.

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

@narmstrong79 Have you tried it? Love to hear from others who have used it.
I purchased it and had to return it for a number of reasons. It's more trouble than it's worth and I'd recommend against it. It randomly turns on when the vehicle is off and there is no fix for this. My vehicle is close enough to my office that it would connect as a bluetooth device and take over phone calls as a speaker even when I wasn't in the vehicle. There is no optical sensor on the device so it does not dim automatically at night. You will constantly need to manually adjust the brightness. It has a scheduled night mode that did not work on my unit. The installation is easy but it rattles. The device is essentially unsupported by EVSportline. They are having a very difficult time with customer service at the moment. It took months and half a dozen emails to get a single response regarding the technical issues I was having. You're better off getting a magsafe phone mount for the dash, connect it to power via the obd port, and using your phone for Waze, etc. For audio, you can pay for two years of Spotify for the cost of the display which will work and sound better.
Sponsored