Sponsored

Anyone remove the chrome trim on the R1S?

LazarusTaxa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ60, XC90
I have mostly blacked out my R1S... Pretty much everything except the chrome trim around the roof. And, with everything else blacked out, its more glaring than ever..

I know TWraps sells a wrap kit, but I can imagine that not being very easy to install properly. I'm sure a shop would charge an insane amount to do it.

Anyone pull the trim off for painting? I believe it's just glued/stuck on with butyl tape and could be an easy thing to pry off.
Sponsored

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Don't do it; high chance your going to damage the trim and it is going to take some time and more money than you will like to source a replacement. Several companies have blackout kits that are reasonably priced. If you are not a DIY type, having a professional shop do it (cost at most should be a few hundred).

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

The vinyl kit is not too tough to apply. And very worth it.
Rivian R1T R1S Anyone remove the chrome trim on the R1S? IMG_0100

I was quoted $750 by a shop before I decided to do it with the kit. The one shop I checked with, would not use the pre-cut kit. They would only do a hand cut application. Probably explains the price.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Shop shouldn't charge too much. Color change wraps are typically much less than PPF installs. You could definitely try it with the twraps kit. @twraps also sells insurance on some of their DIY kits (verify that with them) so if you mess up the install they will cover a replacement to redo it.

pangpang77

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Hyundai Ioniq 5, 2023 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier
Occupation
Systems Exec
I got ones from TWraps here. They give you an extra set in case you mess up. It's actually super easy to do if you're patient. Should take about an hour.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone remove the chrome trim on the R1S? IMG_8437.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone remove the chrome trim on the R1S? IMG_8433.JPG

Sponsored

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Shop shouldn't charge too much. Color change wraps are typically much less than PPF installs. You could definitely try it with the twraps kit. @twraps also sells insurance on some of their DIY kits (verify that with them) so if you mess up the install they will cover a replacement to redo it.
The kit - you can see in my image above the quoted post - comes with two full sets of stickers; for reapplication if you mess up. Quality automotive vinyl is quite forgiving.

s00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S - Jeep LJ Rubicon - R1S
Donā€™t remove it - get the wrap kit. Iā€™m an idiot and I did a good job with it.

JoeSchmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
I have mostly blacked out my R1S... Pretty much everything except the chrome trim around the roof. And, with everything else blacked out, its more glaring than ever..

I know TWraps sells a wrap kit, but I can imagine that not being very easy to install properly. I'm sure a shop would charge an insane amount to do it.

Anyone pull the trim off for painting? I believe it's just glued/stuck on with butyl tape and could be an easy thing to pry off.
My detailer removed the trim and painted it. Looks great. There were gaps in the trim which made the wraps noticeable in those areas.

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone remove the chrome trim on the R1S? IMG_1554

Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Rivian / bodyshop both mentioned the HALO trim is one time use because the clips that secure it will break off.

New trim has to be used when you need any body work done in that area. Hopefully they revise the trim where you can replace the clips easier when you remove the trim to work on it / in that area.

238AMK

First Name
AMK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Cadillac Escalade ESV, Tesla Y
Occupation
CTO

I powder coat the wheels, replaced the emblems with the blackout version, and wrapped all the trims. Running boards & dark tint as well. I like the look a lot more after the mod

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone remove the chrome trim on the R1S? 00iuvRS

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone remove the chrome trim on the R1S? foVdExt

Here's how it look before the trim wrap
Rivian R1T R1S Anyone remove the chrome trim on the R1S? y4eCqCk

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
We did ā€” and I love it. Bay Area and we had PPF done in stealth/matte. Tinted the windows and removed the silver strip up top.

IMG_9207.jpeg
Awesome šŸ˜Ž

OP
OP

LazarusTaxa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ60, XC90
Looks good.. Maybe the twraps kit is the way to go.. I assumed that because so much of the sides of the chrome trim is visible, it would be hard to get it to wrap around the edges to get it covered.

Maybe I'll give it a shot.

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I also bought the Twraps but havenā€™t installed it yet. I think there isnā€™t enough of the vinyl so when you open the doors, you can still see the chrome strip. And it will be uneven which will bother me.

I was speaking to another Rivian owner who gave me a mobile installer. They do a process called liquid wrap. I think it covers the entire strip but not sure how itā€™s different than vinyl. But they come to you and will take care of it. If anyone has experience with liquid wraps, please let me know.
Sponsored