Anyone sold their Rivian?

Adampaul619

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
I'll start by saying I was fully into to Rivian, having placed my initial R1S deposit in April of 2019.
We have a family of 6, so it was a big deal to have an EV that fit everyone comfortably.
I was totally patient with delays in manufacturing; optimistic that Rivian just wanted to get it right. Took delivery just over a year ago (Dec 2023), and since that time have had to drive 2.5 hours to the Brooklyn service center 4 times (once had a mobile service).
All of these trips were for alignment issues (it I don't steer to correct, I'd be off the road within 200 feet). Every time it's been taken in (usually after a month's wait, and significant tire wear), it's been "fixed, and should be good now". But, I have my 5th service center appointment (not until April) for the same issue.

I totally appreciate the "well, it's just the bumps with a new car manufacturer" sentiments (see above, was a fanboy day 1), but all of these issues with my vehicle and the financial struggles with the company are starting to have me wonder if I'm better to offload the vehicle after 14 months and 16k miles now, rather than wait and be stuck...

Anyone sell their Rivian after being unhappy with their vehicle/the company/service? What were your reasons? Did you trade-in? Sell privately? Anyone Lemon Law their car (In PA, I believe if its serviced for the same issue 3 times under 12k miles you can qualify).
Just curious to hear others experience.

Great weekend to all!
Sponsored

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Model Y, ‘22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Not planning to sell, but the software defined architecture does concern me a bit…

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

All of these trips were for alignment issues (it I don't steer to correct, I'd be off the road within 200 feet).
What are your roads like? If they have a heavy crown, it's supposed to pull right. Otherwise on flat roads it will pull to the left and I'm guessing you would find that behavior worse?

OP
OP

Adampaul619

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
What are your roads like? If they have a heavy crown, it's supposed to pull right. Otherwise on flat roads it will pull to the left and I'm guessing you would find that behavior worse?
Shouldn't pull right so terribly that the outer rim of the passenger front tire is completely bald, while the remainder of the tires show little wear, correct? This would be regardless of road structure? Any why wouldn't any other vehicle I own (have owned) have the same issue? Not asking to be smart, just curious...

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Shouldn't pull right so terribly that the outer rim of the passenger front tire is completely bald, while the remainder of the tires should little wear, correct? This would be regardless of road structure? Any why wouldn't any other vehicle I own (have owned) have the same issue? Not asking to be smart, just curious...
If it's a quad motor, Rivian has some issues with it because they have to power each wheel independently. You will get a little more wear on the outside, but not a lot. What drive height are you typically using?

When they do the alignment, has it been better but then progressively gets worse? Is your steering wheel position off center at all when driving straight down a road? Rivian was able to fix mine after two visits but it's still not as "perfect" as previous vehicles. But I also had never had a vehicle that could adjust the suspension heights either.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Adampaul619

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Yep, Quad motor... 98& of the time drive in All-purpose at standard height (Auto-ride height turned off).
It does not appear better after the fix.
Steering wheel has to be held to the left while driving down straight road (see pic).
Tire wear (pic) prior to first attempt at fixing the issue is only the outer rim of the passenger side front tire (remainder of tires, including that very tire's inner rim, is with expected/normal wear).

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone sold their Rivian? IMG_2846

Rivian R1T R1S Anyone sold their Rivian? IMG_5369

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
There is a growing theory that mismatched motors can cause pulling and tire wear issues. Mismatched motors can happen. In fact, it would be pretty hard to get four motors exactly matched, so the condition may exist to one degree or another in a lot of the QM's out there.

As to your question, yeah, a lot of us sold our R1s. I sold my first one because I too was unhappy with it. In my case, I turned around & bought a new Enduro unit & could not be happier.

So yeah... if it is not working for you, sell it & get one that does work for ya.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Shouldn't pull right so terribly that the outer rim of the passenger front tire is completely bald, while the remainder of the tires show little wear, correct? This would be regardless of road structure? Any why wouldn't any other vehicle I own (have owned) have the same issue? Not asking to be smart, just curious...
LOL, it's probably safe to assume that this isn't your first car or the first time you've driven the roads in your area, so I don't understand why people ask questions like that in the first place. Of course it seems obvious that your Rivian has an issue, but the real question is why it hasn't yet been corrected. Personally, if they've tried several times to correct the issue and have been unsuccessful, I'd definitely look into the lemon law in your state to see what can be done. But it seems crazy that something like this can't be easily corrected in the first place.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

LOL, it's probably safe to assume that this isn't your first car or the first time you've driven the roads in your area, so I don't understand why people ask questions like that in the first place. Of course it seems obvious that your Rivian has an issue, but the real question is why it hasn't yet been corrected. Personally, if they've tried several times to correct the issue and have been unsuccessful, I'd definitely look into the lemon law in your state to see what can be done. But it seems crazy that something like this can't be easily corrected in the first place.
Because how many other quad motor vehicles have they driven? There's a reason other companies haven't done it, including Tesla who said they were going to for the Cybertruck. The control systems are incredibly difficult to get right. You can't just drive every wheel at the same RPM/power/torque and drive straight down a road that's not flat. I would be incredibly surprised to hear that Rivian has just as many alignment concerns on dual as the quad that are coming off the line today.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Because how many other quad motor vehicles have they driven? There's a reason other companies haven't done it, including Tesla who said they were going to for the Cybertruck. The control systems are incredibly difficult to get right. You can't just drive every wheel at the same RPM/power/torque and drive straight down a road that's not flat. I would be incredibly surprised to hear that Rivian has just as many alignment concerns on dual as the quad that are coming off the line today.
You completely missed the point....unless of course you think that pulling hard to the right (or left) would be normal in a Rivian when it's obviously not normal on any other vehicle on the same roads the OP drives.

Rather than insult someone's intelligence, I'd choose not to suggest it's normal operation when it's so obviously not. It's a "this isn't my first rodeo" deal...
Sponsored