Sponsored

Anyone sold their Rivian?

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Sold mine, never had any real service issues like OP that they couldnt fix, but there were annoyances about it I didn't like that it shouldn't do for a vehicle of any cost, and it was my first truck and I don't have any real need for one. My biggest dislikes were vampire drain and the suspension just makes way too much noise and felt loose. The only way to fix the looseness and noise of the front suspension is a redesign in my opinion, much like the original run of Panameras. Service centers will do nothing for either issue, id asked multiple times. The suspension noise got louder after the update that made the suspension softer, and then added new noises.
I drive a lot and never keep a car very long, but in general I liked it and think they will keep improving.
My top two R1T complaints are:
1) vampire drain
2) loose feeling front end

Every time I hit a bump it feels like the front end is going to fall off. Itā€™s very disconcerting.

I notice that resale values on used R1Tā€™s are dropping fast. I monitor every Cars & Bids and BAT Rivian R1T auction. Mid to low $60ā€™s is now the norm. I predict used R1Tā€™s will be in the $50kā€™s by fall.

Iā€˜m am pretty confident that I will not be keeping the Rivian long term as I just havenā€™t bonded with the vehicle. The R1T is simply to ā€œcar likeā€œ for my personal tastes and service appointments are currently 3 months out at my local SC.

I have a day 2 deposit on a Cybertruck and an 4/2023 deposit on a 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro hybrid (at MSRP) that comes out in the next few months. As a former Tacoma owner who was very satisfied I am currently leaning towards the ā€˜24 Tacoma TRD Pro hybrid.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
Have you tried a reputable tire shop for a proper alignment? Iā€™m not sure the Rivian service centers actually have any idea what they are doing with a lot of thingsā€¦but particularly when itā€™s an existing specialty service that doesnā€™t involve taking your vehicle apartā€¦.

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
My top two R1T complaints are:
1) vampire drain
2) loose feeling front end

Every time I hit a bump it feels like the front end is going to fall off. Itā€™s very disconcerting.

I notice that resale values on used R1Tā€™s are dropping fast. I monitor every Cars & Bids and BAT Rivian R1T auction. Mid to low $60ā€™s is now the norm. I predict used R1Tā€™s will in the $50kā€™s by fall.

Iā€˜m am pretty confident that I will not be keeping the Rivian long term as I just havenā€™t bonded with the vehicle. The R1T is simply to ā€œcar likeā€œ for my personal tastes and service appointments are currently 3 months out at my local SC.

I have a day 2 deposit on a Cybertruck and an 4/2023 deposit on a 2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro hybrid (at MSRP) that comes out in the next few months. As a former Tacoma owner who was very satisfied I am currently leaning towards the ā€˜24 Tacoma TRD Pro hybrid.
Carmax dropped my bid from. 61k to 58k in a week. I lucked out and sold to a ram dealer in our dealer network for 63k. I wasn't an early reservation holder I bought mine from someone who was a year ago with 500miles.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
The latest news about Rivianā€˜s troubles isnā€™t helping resale values.

When I purchased mine in December of 2022 I took it down to CarMax within the first week out of curiosity.

Their purchase quote was $83k.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
The latest news about Rivianā€˜s troubles isnā€™t helping resale values.

When I purchased mine in December of 2022 I took it down to CarMax within the first week out of curiosity.

Their purchase quote was $83k.
Nope....and this is one of my stronger concerns with trying to sell new trucks too. I hope they can figure that one out, because I can't.

Sponsored

KRo

First Name
Kory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22ā€™ R1T, 22", RBlue, OCoast, no Tonneau
Occupation
Business owner
Yep, Quad motor... 98& of the time drive in All-purpose at standard height (Auto-ride height turned off).
It does not appear better after the fix.
Steering wheel has to be held to the left while driving down straight road (see pic).
Tire wear (pic) prior to first attempt at fixing the issue is only the outer rim of the passenger side front tire (remainder of tires, including that very tire's inner rim, is with expected/normal wear).

IMG_2846.jpeg

IMG_5369.jpeg
I had this SAME issue, until I took my R1T to an independent alignment shop. Gone are those issues I struggled with after two Rivian alignments and 16k miles and wrecked tires.

Larrys

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired U.S. Marine, I.T. Consultant
I'll start by saying I was fully into to Rivian, having placed my initial R1S deposit in April of 2019.
We have a family of 6, so it was a big deal to have an EV that fit everyone comfortably.
I was totally patient with delays in manufacturing; optimistic that Rivian just wanted to get it right. Took delivery just over a year ago (Dec 2023), and since that time have had to drive 2.5 hours to the Brooklyn service center 4 times (once had a mobile service).
All of these trips were for alignment issues (it I don't steer to correct, I'd be off the road within 200 feet). Every time it's been taken in (usually after a month's wait, and significant tire wear), it's been "fixed, and should be good now". But, I have my 5th service center appointment (not until April) for the same issue.

I totally appreciate the "well, it's just the bumps with a new car manufacturer" sentiments (see above, was a fanboy day 1), but all of these issues with my vehicle and the financial struggles with the company are starting to have me wonder if I'm better to offload the vehicle after 14 months and 16k miles now, rather than wait and be stuck...

Anyone sell their Rivian after being unhappy with their vehicle/the company/service? What were your reasons? Did you trade-in? Sell privately? Anyone Lemon Law their car (In PA, I believe if its serviced for the same issue 3 times under 12k miles you can qualify).
Just curious to hear others experience.

Great weekend to all!
I traded my R1S for a Hyundai Ioniq6 got $80,000

downranger12

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x, 2018 Toyota Prius
Occupation
retired optometrist
Because how many other quad motor vehicles have they driven? There's a reason other companies haven't done it, including Tesla who said they were going to for the Cybertruck. The control systems are incredibly difficult to get right. You can't just drive every wheel at the same RPM/power/torque and drive straight down a road that's not flat. I would be incredibly surprised to hear that Rivian has just as many alignment concerns on dual as the quad that are coming off the line today.
My early R1T runs dead straight down all roads. I'm 10,000 miles into my second set of 21s. Discount tire used a handheld device on rotation and said that all the tires are wearing equally across the tread. I am driving gently in All Purpose auto most of the time. Tire balance, drive experience,and alignment seem perfect with mine.
When down to the factory for toneau cover install, the service guys said if you ever want to sell, sell it back to them. He said the emplyees are all looking to get one of their own, and they are in a better position to get it running right.
I feel real bad for your situation, and wish I could help more.
If their engineers had your truck in hand, it would help them prevent this in the future. No one at the company wants the outcome that you are experiencing.

KubotaTed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150, Bronco, 812, R8, S5, Cayenne,67 Mustang
Occupation
Actuary
I probably am going to sell my R1T in about 10-12 months. Iā€™ve had it since April of last year and like several things about it. Iā€™ve kept my F-150 because of range issues with my R1T.

Things I really like (not comprehensive):

• The exterior size of the truck. Much more manageable in town driving.
  • Fits in my garage
  • Storage (frunk + gear tunnel)
  • lack of body roll when cornering compared to other trucks
  • acceleration without having to ā€œget on itā€

Things that donā€™t work for my taste (and talking out of both sides of my mouth):

• Range anxiety. I canā€™t justify getting rid of my F-150 (which we take on longer trips)
  • Cabin interior size (I realize this is counter to one of my proā€™s about the exterior size) - 2nd row is just tight.
  • Concern about repair costs; costs to insure

My plan is to consolidate my F-150 + R1T to the new Ramcharger when it comes out (Tungsten trim). However, Iā€™ll have to park it outside due to size, so nothing is a perfect rating.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I probably am going to sell my R1T in about 10-12 months. Iā€™ve had it since April of last year and like several things about it. Iā€™ve kept my F-150 because of range issues with my R1T.

Things I really like (not comprehensive):

• The exterior size of the truck. Much more manageable in town driving.
  • Fits in my garage
  • Storage (frunk + gear tunnel)
  • lack of body roll when cornering compared to other trucks
  • acceleration without having to ā€œget on itā€

Things that donā€™t work for my taste (and talking out of both sides of my mouth):

• Range anxiety. I canā€™t justify getting rid of my F-150 (which we take on longer trips)
  • Cabin interior size (I realize this is counter to one of my proā€™s about the exterior size) - 2nd row is just tight.
  • Concern about repair costs; costs to insure

My plan is to consolidate my F-150 + R1T to the new Ramcharger when it comes out (Tungsten trim). However, Iā€™ll have to park it outside due to size, so nothing is a perfect rating.
I love the Ramcharger concept alot. But seeing Stellatis take on that big of an engineering challenge makes me concerned about it, but I do love my Ram dealer and they do a great job. Probably not the vehicle for my use case, since I really wanted the sporty driving aspect of the R1T, but the approach they are taking is pretty cool.

Sponsored

iBang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Rivian R1T Adventure
I'll start by saying I was fully into to Rivian, having placed my initial R1S deposit in April of 2019.
We have a family of 6, so it was a big deal to have an EV that fit everyone comfortably.
I was totally patient with delays in manufacturing; optimistic that Rivian just wanted to get it right. Took delivery just over a year ago (Dec 2023), and since that time have had to drive 2.5 hours to the Brooklyn service center 4 times (once had a mobile service).
All of these trips were for alignment issues (it I don't steer to correct, I'd be off the road within 200 feet). Every time it's been taken in (usually after a month's wait, and significant tire wear), it's been "fixed, and should be good now". But, I have my 5th service center appointment (not until April) for the same issue.

I totally appreciate the "well, it's just the bumps with a new car manufacturer" sentiments (see above, was a fanboy day 1), but all of these issues with my vehicle and the financial struggles with the company are starting to have me wonder if I'm better to offload the vehicle after 14 months and 16k miles now, rather than wait and be stuck...

Anyone sell their Rivian after being unhappy with their vehicle/the company/service? What were your reasons? Did you trade-in? Sell privately? Anyone Lemon Law their car (In PA, I believe if its serviced for the same issue 3 times under 12k miles you can qualify).

Great weekend to all!
I share your pain. If I were in your situation I would be thinking the same thing. Fortunately my R1T was very well assembled without any issue except the onboard charger was defective so they replaced it on day 1. I like my R1T and I intent to keep it even Rivian goes out of business. Hopefully some other company like GM will buy Rivian and continue to service the owners. The stock is different story however. I bought $100,000 worth of Rivian stock at $99 per share and now most of it is gone :(

Dr T

First Name
Hal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Physician Executive

Great weekend to all!
Love my R1T (delivery November 2023). No complaints at all. Still early, but likely the best vehicle I've ever owned.

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired

Great weekend to all!
I ordered my R1T LE in 2019 and it was delivered in August of 2022. I owned it at the pre price hike pricing less fed and state tax credits/rebates. I have had 0 issues including a working power tonneau cover and I did like driving it very much. What I didn't like was the range anxiety of charging stations (common to all non Tesla EVs) so I never took it on road trips, also I was reading a lot of horror stories about the cost of fixing minor fender-benders and the wait times at service centers if you did need service. Also the tire wear on such heavy vehicles plus the cost of replacing tires negated the cost of standard maintenance on ICEs such as oil changes and such, plus my insurance guy told me to expect huge premium increases as insurance companies are now getting data on the cost of fixing these vehicles. I traded it a month or so ago and got a trade in price a little more than my net purchase price so I decided to take the opportunity to get out. Obviously after the negative news I'm sure the trade price is down considerably. If Rivian survives I would consider an R2S in a few years as I do think it is a remarkable vehicle, time will tell?

CarefreeWilly

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, Tesla Model S, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Not interested in selling my R1S here in AZ but we drive 99% of the time in 2 wheel mode. Wonder if you did that if it would help.

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired
From what I understand 2 wheel mode is basically front wheel drive and will wear down front tires accordingly.
Sponsored