First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I’ve driven both QM and DM a couple times now and the steering just seems to feel tighter and more accurate on the DM. It could just be a fluke I suppose; has anyone else noticed this? The QM I drove had the slight pull and the wheel felt looser. The DM I drive was tighter and did not pull.
I can't speak to the DM, but I can say my QM acts like any other vehicle I have driven in regard to steering. Much better than any other truck I have owned or driven. And as good as any car. Better than most other than much more focused driving cars.
Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Yep, they replaced the worn one ("Free of charge"), but made me pay for the unaffected tire to get the alignment "right" on my last fix... Still didn't work.

The Quad motor explanation makes sense to me... Just frustrating they haven't figured it out.
But they have figured it....my truck works perfectly at 35k with even ture wear. If somebody doesn't have that result....something is off with their truck.

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
Sold mine, never had any real service issues like OP that they couldnt fix, but there were annoyances about it I didn't like that it shouldn't do for a vehicle of any cost, and it was my first truck and I don't have any real need for one. My biggest dislikes were vampire drain and the suspension just makes way too much noise and felt loose. The only way to fix the looseness and noise of the front suspension is a redesign in my opinion, much like the original run of Panameras. Service centers will do nothing for either issue, id asked multiple times. The suspension noise got louder after the update that made the suspension softer, and then added new noises.
I drive a lot and never keep a car very long, but in general I liked it and think they will keep improving.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Yep, Quad motor... 98& of the time drive in All-purpose at standard height (Auto-ride height turned off).
It does not appear better after the fix.
Steering wheel has to be held to the left while driving down straight road (see pic).
Tire wear (pic) prior to first attempt at fixing the issue is only the outer rim of the passenger side front tire (remainder of tires, including that very tire's inner rim, is with expected/normal wear).

IMG_2846.jpeg

IMG_5369.jpeg
Buy a new pair of front tires and it in for an alignment.

They’ll do this for free in the first year, but if you wait too long, expectation is that it is driver-caused and not mfg defect.

OP
OP

Adampaul619

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Buy a new pair of front tires and it in for an alignment.

They’ll do this for free in the first year, but if you wait too long, expectation is that it is driver-caused and not mfg defect.
Thanks, but did this already …
Still no luck

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Kind of an OT question for the OP...

If you in fact do decide to sell your Rivian, what do you intend to tell potential buyers?
It's kind of like selling a house with a leaky roof during a dry spell...

You're in a tough position here, sorry!

OP
OP

Adampaul619

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Kind of an OT question for the OP...

If you in fact do decide to sell your Rivian, what do you intend to tell potential buyers?
It's kind of like selling a house with a leaky roof during a dry spell...

You're in a tough position here, sorry!
Good question… and mostly why I was asking in the original post what options folks used to sell (trade-in, private sale, etc…).
Wouldn’t want to dump the issue on some unsuspecting person for sure…

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Good question… and mostly why I was asking in the original post what options folks used to sell (trade-in, private sale, etc…).
Hate to go this route, but if you have recourse via lemon Law you could mention that to Rivian basically putting them on notice that they have one final try to fix it permanently. I've seen others do that with Rivian and that does seem to get their attention.

Rivdog

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Have you tried test driving a DM? It sounds like your service center is really far away so it might not be realistic, but did you get any Rivians as loaners in the prior times yours was in the shop? It sounds like something is definitely off with yours regardless, but maybe it would be worth your time and patience to swap out for a DM? After this current repair, perhaps Rivian would be receptive to a discussion about a trade in or something? Mine had an issue of pulling at one point but a software update greatly improved it.

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Thanks, but did this already …
Still no luck
I had issues getting mine aligned properly - took 3 tries, and that was only after a factory tech came in and did it himself (and it’s dead straight now).

Others have had subframe issues, but those were early trucks.

I would gently remind them that this is the 5th attempt, and assuming you have service records, if that doesn’t fix it then lemon it.

BTW for those concerned - I nearly had to do this on a new Toyota Tundra for crap alignment problems as well. Definitely not an issue isolated to Rivian.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
FWIW- my R1T was built in Dec 2022 (2023 VIN), so my Rivian is 1 month younger than yours.. it has zero pull in any direction and has never needed to go to the SC in Brooklyn (which sucks to get in to and out of).

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I’ve driven both QM and DM a couple times now and the steering just seems to feel tighter and more accurate on the DM. It could just be a fluke I suppose; has anyone else noticed this? The QM I drove had the slight pull and the wheel felt looser. The DM I drive was tighter and did not pull.
Yes. I experienced the same. Two different motors pulling on your front may account for some of this? Maybe a slightly different front end design? I don't know, but I do know this one drives better.

Reactions: KRG

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I got my R1T in 2022 and my front subframe replaced for alignment issues and the horrible noises that came with it when turning at slow speed.

I feel bad that you are continuing to have that issue as I know it can be corrected. To me, it sounds like you have a customer service issue more than a problem with your truck. The techs soul die able to fix it or diagnose a larger issue with motors or sub frame.

My truck is in the first original 5000 trucks and it had to go in for service a handful of times, but that's expected. Once those issues were resolved, I've been driving with no problems for over a year.

The only reason I would sell would be to get another Rivian. There's nothing else I can buy that matches this truck.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Yes. I experienced the same. Two different motors pulling on your front may account for some of this? Maybe a slightly different front end design? I don't know, but I do know this one drives better.
I am thinking you had a bad R1T. 15% worse economy, pulled, must have wore out front tires with what you have describes as something about horrible front tire wear and terrible in snow. Just thinking some of your experiences were just a bad R1T with a bad subframe alignment or something.

Not questioning your observations...just such a dramatic different experience from mine with my QM....makes me wonder if that was part of it.

Edit....or maybe the heavy off roading you do cracked a subframe or knocked something out of alignment.

Last edited:

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited, R1S Launch Green
Clubs

I have. Wasn't happy with ride quality, wind noise, and 400V charging speeds. If the R1S was $65K I would not have mind but not at $85K (which I sold it at). I moved onto a Bronco which suits me better for weekend use and I daily a Mach-E which is better suited for urban traffic.

R1S was supposed to be my hardcore off-roader but the R1S is too nice and delicate to off road. I'm very interested in an R2 though. Don't think I'd get another R1 personally.

These days resale prices are cratering hard. If you don't love something and barely use it... dump it.
Sponsored