oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

Have been a Honda then Kia person (2000's) with 4 Hondas and 2 Kias. Value reliability. The S has had its challenges with multiple SC visits, but it's the most "fun" car that is still family(2 and 4 legs) friendly that I've owned. I had a 90's Honda Prelude fully loaded which was a blast. I've literally and figuratively bought into the S and Rivian. Even with the problems (which has been more than any of my Hondas or Kias), the way Rivian has treated me has made it easier to swallow. Think it helps that I only live 50ish miles from Normal and their service center as I think they have more bandwidth than other SCs. Currently also have diesel Silverado which lets me know it could be a worse experience (GM has not been fun to work with when I've had to do all of the service visits for the Silverado).
Sponsored

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
My biggest concern and reason for considering selling is what happens to maintenance/parts/updates if they go out of business? I get someone would likely step in and buy them, but what if they don’t? That’s a big risk considering you are holding on to a $80k asset.

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
My R1T is my favorite vehicle I've owned thus far, and it's not even close. The value is also beyond all of my previous vehicles in terms of what you get for the dollar.
The R1T isn't a perfect vehicle, but I have yet to see anything else that I would be willing to trade for.

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
My biggest concern and reason for considering selling is what happens to maintenance/parts/updates if they go out of business? I get someone would likely step in and buy them, but what if they don’t? That’s a big risk considering you are holding on to a $80k asset.
That's not a $80K asset if they fold. Be lucky to get half that with no service infrastructure, no software updates (what if someone figures out how to hack them, no security patch will ever be issued) and no parts for repairs. Oh, and no trained techs to do the repairs.

What about a high voltage battery pack issue? That would mechanically total the vehicle, no recovery from insurance. You're just SOL.

Come to think of it, half that $80K would be aggressive. It's like buying a Blackberry today after the network no longer exists. I bet they go for a lot less than half.

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
That's not a $80K asset if they fold. Be lucky to get half that with no service infrastructure, no software updates (what if someone figures out how to hack them, no security patch will ever be issued) and no parts for repairs. Oh, and no trained techs to do the repairs.

What about a high voltage battery pack issue? That would mechanically total the vehicle, no recovery from insurance. You're just SOL.

Come to think of it, half that $80K would be aggressive. It's like buying a Blackberry today after the network no longer exists. I bet they go for a lot less than half.
agree. I guess I mean an 80k asset I can sell now and guarantee I get a full return.

Sponsored

carsly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LR Defender, Tesla Model S
I was looking to buy this quarter but after that last earnings call I'm going to wait until Aug/September and see how they progress with this latest strategy. I don't see the math working out - my guesstimate is they run out of cash in 4-5 quarters.

Should have cut deeper, paused the Georgia plant and announced they will begin producing the R2 in Normal on a pilot production line in mid/late 2025 with scaled production to come in 2026.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Become really good friends with the mobile technician in your area.

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired
I think the prices in the used market have come down considerably since the negative earnings report and news, if you watch the online auctions you can see that.

Mooeymoose

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
MD
Love my R1s. Only reason to sell would be because I like smaller cars and get an r2s provided they don’t go out of business. However, they likely would get bought before that. Apple buying them could be cool…

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired
As I posted before on different threads and maybe this one I did like my R1T very much but had a gut feeling about long term ownership so I took advantage of a great trade in offer and got out and with the current news I'm glad I did. Also the R1T was way more vehicle than I needed and if Rivian is still around and healthy in few years I would easily consider an R2S for my next EV.

Sponsored

voxel

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, 23 GC Limited, R1S Launch Green
Clubs

Have been a Honda then Kia person (2000's) with 4 Hondas and 2 Kias. Value reliability. The S has had its challenges with multiple SC visits, but it's the most "fun" car that is still family(2 and 4 legs) friendly that I've owned. I had a 90's Honda Prelude fully loaded which was a blast. I've literally and figuratively bought into the S and Rivian. Even with the problems (which has been more than any of my Hondas or Kias), the way Rivian has treated me has made it easier to swallow. Think it helps that I only live 50ish miles from Normal and their service center as I think they have more bandwidth than other SCs. Currently also have diesel Silverado which lets me know it could be a worse experience (GM has not been fun to work with when I've had to do all of the service visits for the Silverado).
Rivian service was excellent.

Today, buying any new car is just as risky as buying a Rivian. Depreciation is back to normal. Oversupply seems to be common. QC is still iffy on new cars/models across the board.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
You completely missed my point and instead are just insulting my intelligence?
So help me understand then.....why would you tell someone that a crown in the road is supposed to make the vehicle pull? I could see saying that to someone who is a new driver and has no experience, but beyond that, it's an insulting thing to say to someone who is obviously complaining about an issue they're experiencing.

If you had said that to me, I would have said something like this back to you: "Thanks, Capt. Obvious. This isn't my first time driving and it's not my first time on that road, so I think I have a pretty good idea of how a vehicle should behave on that road."

But then again, I guess the OP is a nicer person than me, so that's not the response you got.

downranger12

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Nissan Frontier Pro 4x, 2018 Toyota Prius
Occupation
retired optometrist
If it's a quad motor, Rivian has some issues with it because they have to power each wheel independently. You will get a little more wear on the outside, but not a lot. What drive height are you typically using?

When they do the alignment, has it been better but then progressively gets worse? Is your steering wheel position off center at all when driving straight down a road? Rivian was able to fix mine after two visits but it's still not as "perfect" as previous vehicles. But I also had never had a vehicle that could adjust the suspension heights either.
My early R1t runs dead straight with zero alignment or balancing problems on 21s. Tires rotated at 10,000k and even wear with both conserve or AP. Changed tires at 30,000k because winter was coming.
Sponsored