Sponsored

supernu8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Engineer
i bet rivian will rather just certify the 3rd party ones instead of dealing with angry customers
Doubtful Rivian has the power to make this decision. We know Tesla has control over who can use their network. I'm sure it's written into this agreement that Tesla has final say on any 3rd party adapter approval.
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'd expect insurance to cover my rivian melting. No biggie.
Hope you have enough insurance to cover the property damage to the chargers and proximal vehicles too.

beyondgravity

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

They should prioritize by pre-order date as to not double penalize those of us that waited extra long for a vehicle eh?:)
This is not a popular opinion. As a long time owner (2021 reservation 2023 delivery 🤔), I hope they prioritize new owners. We are early Rivian adapters and we have been around the block. If this accelertes the sale to bring in middle/late adapters, I would tell Rivian to do that. I am selfish for Rivian to thrive and thus can support our vehicles long term.

Sponsored

Vantripping

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Power Developer
Clubs

This is not a popular opinion. As a long time owner (2021 reservation 2023 delivery 🤔), I hope they prioritize new owners. We are early Rivian adapters and we have been around the block. If this accelertes the sale to bring in middle/late adapters, I would tell Rivian to do that. I am selfish for Rivian to thrive and thus can support our vehicles long term.
I agree, and that they should include adapters with all new deliveries to avoid shipping costs to send to folks that just took delivery. Whether we get one in three weeks or five weeks likely won't change much, although I know we'd all love to have an adapter now.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I agree, and that they should include adapters with all new deliveries to avoid shipping costs to send to folks that just took delivery. Whether we get one in three weeks or five weeks likely won't change much, although I know we'd all love to have an adapter now.
You mean 3 months or 5 months or 12 months. It's going to take awhile based on Ford's rollout.

Redline

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Unapproved doesn't mean unsafe to use.

If it's too much risk for some of y'all, then wait.
It might not be unsafe, but you ARE taking a risk. If you brick your Rivian, or cause damage to Tesla SCs you will be held liable.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

And you think your Rivian warranty would cover that?
No but my insurance company sure would go after Rivian for it, and they'd probably have a much better case than if I intentionally went against Rivian's directions.

jtshaw

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, LE R1S
Occupation
Engineering VP
I can see your perspective. Building these adapters should be simple in comparison to building cars so hopefully the timeline for everyone to get one is relatively tight.

I worry overall about expectation setting with this program because it is currently a small number of Super Chargers that are listed as supported and they are doing PR around it while basically nobody can use it or knows when they will be able to actually use them.

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
You could buy one from A2Z or Lectron if you're impatient. They are about $200
…and they are probably fine…BUT Rivian advises specifically that only theirs is authorized…so good luck with your warranty claim if something goes awry…

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I can see your perspective. Building these adapters should be simple in comparison to building cars so hopefully the timeline for everyone to get one is relatively tight.

I worry overall about expectation setting with this program because it is currently a small number of Super Chargers that are listed as supported and they are doing PR around it while basically nobody can use it or knows when they will be able to actually use them.
According to RJ it’s 15,000 super chargers. How many would it take to graduate from small number to medium?
Also, there are quite a few Ford owners using the same adapter and it doesn’t appear much different than the magic docks that have been around for a while and I can verify those work, although the plug-n-play looks like a nice benefit.
Sponsored