Sponsored

Auto unlock as you approach car

irvineboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Does any other Rivian owners have issues with the auto unlock feature as you are approaching your car with the key fob? I’ve recently started to notice that it doesn’t always work. The auto lock as I walk away from my car will always work, but it’s the auto unlock as I approach my car that’s finicky.
Sponsored

YouKnowWhatsUp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 R1T Limestone
Clubs

When I got my R1T In March it would unlock as I was approaching it. Almost from too far away. It was also doing it in my driveway and street when I walked around my house.
Now it unlocks when I’m right next to the door most of the time but on occasion I have to wait a couple seconds for the handles to extend. It’s mildly annoying. Probably more embarrassing that I can’t get in my $90k truck. There have been two software updates since my purchase.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Works great 99% of the time for me. Very occasionally have to push a button on my phone while it’s in my pocket to wake it for unlock to happen. No biggie.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
My R1S is about 8 months old. It gives me a "hi hello" when the rear light bar lights up red; from about 20' out. Then the doors open when I'm about 5' out. While it's good enough for a boring banker; it would not be my vehicle of choice if I was an international man of intrigue. Can you imagine Jimmy Bob Bond running from the bad guys and his car won't open?

Edit: I took more notice and it appears that the "hi" is at almost 50' and the doors open at about 10'.

Last edited:

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
When I got my R1T In March it would unlock as I was approaching it. Almost from too far away. It was also doing it in my driveway and street when I walked around my house.
Now it unlocks when I’m right next to the door most of the time but on occasion I have to wait a couple seconds for the handles to extend. It’s mildly annoying. Probably more embarrassing that I can’t get in my $90k truck. There have been two software updates since my purchase.
Interesting to know that it has improved recently. I turned mine off shortly after taking delivery last March. It unlocked so randomly at home that I didn’t trust it to stay locked when parked outside a store or restaurant. I will have to give it another try.

Sponsored

Semibruce

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I had similar issues recently. A reset fixed it. Hold down the far left button on the steering wheel and the emergency flasher button for about 15 seconds. This will restart the entire computer.

Joe Hoffman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S & 2013 CMAX Energi Plugin
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Mine unlocks 99% of the time correctly. However when I walk away from it I need to manually initiate the lock about 1/2 the time. Just part of my routine when walking into a store.

Ironcitijc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Performance DM R1T Max Pack, BMW X3
Occupation
EV Enthusiast
Clubs

Does any other Rivian owners have issues with the auto unlock feature as you are approaching your car with the key fob? I’ve recently started to notice that it doesn’t always work. The auto lock as I walk away from my car will always work, but it’s the auto unlock as I approach my car that’s finicky.
Yes I’ve actually noticed the same thing recently (can’t pinpoint exactly when it started). I did a full reset last night and plan to test it today to see if it goes back to the way it used to work.

Sponsored

SactownD

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Professor
Same issue. I usually have to wake my phone up in order for the doors to unlock. No problem with it locking as I walk away. I have reset the vehicle multiple times and the issue has not resolved.

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Mine seems to be inconsistent as well...sometimes it'll unlock via the phone pretty quickly and others, I have to take the thing out of my pocket and hold it in front of the doors. no consistent reason there.

I do love it since Rivian added the turn off proximity unlock at home feature. Walk away from the truck and it locks and won't unlock until you use the app to do so. no more random locking and unlocking at random times while at home.

redantpile

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 EDGE, 2023 R1S red adventure 20"
Occupation
Retired telephone engineer
Clubs

Yes another one here. Mine has done that same thing over the last three updates. A reset would fix it, but it would come back later. Seems to have stopped with the most recent update I think, but was replaced with another odd locking issue. I need to try a reset to see if it goes away.
I use the fob, and it did the same thing with the phone when I tested it. Not presenting or not unlocking all doors.

SwampNut

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Geek
Clubs

I haven’t had an issue with either the phone or fob. Have you tried a new battery?

My Tesla needed to have the phone manually woken about 1/4 of the time. Pretty annoying.

SRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
retired
I didn’t know the key fob was supposed to do that.
Sponsored