Sponsored

Back window replacement needed -- pricing and availability?

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

This sucks... Sorry to hear.

The vehicle is too new in the product population such that there is no 3rd party glass being made yet (e.g., PPG, Pilkinton, etc).

Hope its not the typical Rivian repair - few thousands and couple of months....

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
šŸŒ²šŸŒ²R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird
That sucks. Why wouldnā€™t you go through insurance? It would be covered under Comprehensive.

Also, had to google ā€bippedā€:

In all of the ongoing debate over crime in San Francisco, the one offense that may have vexed everyday people the most is ā€œbipping.ā€ That's slang for breaking into a car and looting it of any valuablesā€”which, if the car owner is lucky, they might see again being resold on a street corner.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

In all of the ongoing debate over crime in San Francisco, the one offense that may have vexed everyday people the most is ā€œbipping.ā€ That's slang for breaking into a car and looting it of any valuablesā€”which, if the car owner is lucky, they might see again being resold on a street corner.
Thanks for sharing the definition. I had assumed it was something to do with the big storm the news is saying is hitting Cali right now. Hope that storm doesn't get OP right now, with no back window! That would really be a double-whammy. šŸ¤·šŸ˜†

Sponsored

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

That sucks. Why wouldnā€™t you go through insurance? It would be covered under Comprehensive.

Also, had to google ā€bippedā€:

it's absolutely NUTS, it's completely indiscriminate, just entire lines of vehicles block after block, all with windows smashed out

HeyEllwood

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y R1S
Occupation
Operations Analyst
Yeah. The little tool that is used is a very handy tool. But obviously isn't a handy tool when it's being used for this on your vehicle.

Just got our R1S and I don't think I will drive it into SF/Oakland anytime soon now'a days. It's always been an issue but it's taken off in the last few months.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

I work in the bay area and there is no way I would drive my R1T or my Rav4 Prime into the city. I will go to the BART station in Warm Springs and take it in......$7.00 one way and save a lot of anxiety from "bipping".

What is sad, it wasn't always this way. Only within the last 10 years has it started getting bad and the Mayor of S.F. is the worst and hates the police.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Not just SF. Secured parking or donā€™t go.

1692717531743.gif
Unless the stuff they take is more than $951, the criminals won't serve a day of time or be prosecuted.

Sponsored

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

So you don't consider the damage to the vehicle as criminal activity?
I do...but the city of S.F. might not. I haven't gone there in over a year and that was for a team-building event that we took a private bus to. On my own, it has been over 8 years since I drove and parked anywhere in the city....I have parked in South S.F. and over by the airport, but that's the closets I have got to S.F.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

i'd contact your insurance/Safelite to see if they have any options. waiting for Rivian might take a while.

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21
Sorry to see this happened, hope it gets fixed quickly and repairs goes smooth. Also got hit couple mo ago in Gotham city and it was broad daylight just next to golden gate park. The Rivian mobile repair process was very smooth. Forget about Safelite, they couldn't get any stock.

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Sucks. I had to take my 6 week old Rivian to SF earlier this year. Was pretty nervous based on the word of my friends and colleagues in the area. I was very careful where I parked and made sure I could keep an eye on it as much as possible when parked in areas that clearly had cars getting ā€œblipped.ā€ I was so happy to make it out of there without a single scratch. On the way back to LA I decided to celebrate with a little Pismo Beach sand dune action where someone backed into me on the beach creating 7K worth of damage. Go figureā€¦
Sponsored