Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Definitely maybe. Will the wallbox work with the Rivian though?

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Not as long as it uses CCS2

centexR1S

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Tundra, CR-5
Occupation
Retired
Will the Rivian R1T work with this Wall Box bi-directional charger?
Quasar 2: Reimagining what charging can do with Wallbox - New
From what I understand, Rivian has given us a promissory note that the hardware will support bidirectional charging and that the software will be changed and boxes will be available once a National standard is agreed upon. So I do not believe the software currently supports Quasar or any other bidirectional charging. Is there any progress regarding the National standard? Let’s hope Rivian does not pull a tank turn on this issue.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
To answer your question, no, current R1 vehicles do not work with bidirectional charging. They can obviously take in charge, but they cannot output charge. It could very possibly in the future with a software update, or it may never.

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
https://enphase.com/ev-chargers/bidirectional

This is the one I'm waiting for as my solar is Enphase and I already have all of the other hardware waiting for it to plug into. But I expect to be paying a premium price being Enphase. It should still be cheaper than their options for 10 kWh of home batteries though. I asked my installer if they had pricing on their next gen 5P batteries. She didn't, but said she recommended waiting for any option to add to or upgrade my current system since they just got back from an installers conference and it was sounding like we would be seeing some pretty dramatic price decreases across the board in the very near future.

Forgot to add. If you look at any photos of the lvl 2 chargers at Rivian's service centers, the majority of them are Clipper Creeks. Enphase bought Clipper Creek a year or two ago and eventually replaced the logo. So my optimistic mind says that Rivian/Clipper Creek-Enphase have at least some level of prior business transaction/relationship, so the chances of making sure Rivians are supported from the launch of Enphase's V2H product might be just a little better.

Jblaze121

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1S 20" A/T
Clubs

Battery warranties are tied to miles or years, not use cycles. They would need to add some legal disclaimer if the car is used for V2H, there is some max count on discharges that may void the warranty sooner.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

To answer your question, no, current R1 vehicles do not work with bidirectional charging.
Are you speaking from experience with a product that follows the CCS specification or just speculating?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Deacon

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

https://enphase.com/ev-chargers/bidirectional

This is the one I'm waiting for as my solar is Enphase and I already have all of the other hardware waiting for it to plug into. But I expect to be paying a premium price being Enphase. It should still be cheaper than their options for 10 kWh of home batteries though. I asked my installer if they had pricing on their next gen 5P batteries. She didn't, but said she recommended waiting for any option to add to or upgrade my current system since they just got back from an installers conference and it was sounding like we would be seeing some pretty dramatic price decreases across the board in the very near future.

Forgot to add. If you look at any photos of the lvl 2 chargers at Rivian's service centers, the majority of them are Clipper Creeks. Enphase bought Clipper Creek a year or two ago and eventually replaced the logo. So my optimistic mind says that Rivian/Clipper Creek-Enphase have at least some level of prior business transaction/relationship, so the chances of making sure Rivians are supported from the launch of Enphase's V2H product might be just a little better.
Hope you are correct. I just want to get V2H before the next hurricane hits me!

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
Are you speaking from experience with a product that follows the CCS specification or just speculating?
The person was asking a simple question. Of course some of us get into the weeds, but I was trying to give him a simple answer. “Bi-Directional Charging.” We can all speculate, but the answer is no, the vehicle does not provide V2H or V2G or whatever power. TODAY. Maybe tomorrow, hopefully.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Fords implementation of V2H is very expensive and complex to install. I would like to see Rivian be able to implement something for V2H. We have two Rivians and it would be super useful to be able to tap that energy to keep lights on and food from spoiling during a power outage. I would also like to be able to run our entire TT off the truck when we don't have a camp site with shore power.

1500w is ok but more capabilities would be really really nice.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Fords implementation of V2H is very expensive and complex to install. I would like to see Rivian be able to implement something for V2H. We have two Rivians and it would be super useful to be able to tap that energy to keep lights on and food from spoiling during a power outage. I would also like to be able to run our entire TT off the truck when we don't have a camp site with shore power.

1500w is ok but more capabilities would be really really nice.
All VtoH is going to be expensive as they are required to have grid cutoff so during an outage it is not sending power to the grid endangering workers.

That can be automatic or manual but does require a decent amount of wiring to support it.

ealberton

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback
Occupation
Solar Sales
Clubs

The person was asking a simple question. Of course some of us get into the weeds, but I was trying to give him a simple answer. “Bi-Directional Charging.” We can all speculate, but the answer is no, the vehicle does not provide V2H or V2G or whatever power. TODAY. Maybe tomorrow, hopefully.
At the time of production, ALL Launch R1T and R1s were built with the hardware required for ANY Bi-directional charging. As mentioned above it's a simple OTA that will allow it to happen. With that said any Bi-directional charger (Ie Wall box, Enphase, Sunrun) will work with the existing architecture of the trucks
Sponsored