Sponsored

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

I have to ask because I don’t have my R1S yet and I’ve never owned an EV. If you don’t charge at home where it’s convenient overnight or whatever isn’t it a pain in the ass to wait at a charging station for 1 hour+? Like how long does it average? Do you only charge enough to get you to your destination and back or do you “top off”?
Unless I'm on a road trip, I charge at home. When on a road trip, I only charge as much as needed to get to the next charging station unless I'm eating lunch or something and it's just opportunistic. Only charge what's needed because the higher the state of charge, the slower the charging speed. Often 20 to 80% takes roughly ~30 minutes. It may take another 20 minutes or more to go from 80 to 100% which just isn't worth it. So unless you've just got time to kill, only charge what's needed. Charging at home is also cheaper. I pay $.045/kwh between midnight at 6AM here in Georgia. The typical EA charger, I pay $.35 or so/kwh depending on the location and whether or not it actually charges me, etc.
Sponsored

Comstockery

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S (launch green, 22" dark); Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Attorney
Clubs

It seems like a number of you are able to charge at 200+ kw for an extended period of time. Last weekend, I plugged into an EA 350 kw charger with about a 48% SoC. The charging rate quickly ramped up to 219 kw, much higher than I've previously experienced at either EA or EvGo chargers; typically my charging rate tops out in the 180s. After at most a couple of minutes at 219, I received a warning that the station was limiting my charge rate, which dropped to 42 kw. I let R1S charge for a few minutes to see if that rate would increase; it didn't. I then unplugged; the CCS plug was pretty hot. I moved to the charging space next to one I'd been at and plugged in again (350 kw charger). This time, the charge rate topped out at 186 and the plug didn't get hot. It seems like the R1S wasn't ready for a 219 charge rate. I'm guessing lack of pre-conditioning (I had only been driving for a few minutes before I plugged in)?

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

I see a lot of threads with charts like this. Out of idle curiosity, what software are you using to make these? Don't tell me Excel, LOL. 😆

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
It seems like a number of you are able to charge at 200+ kw for an extended period of time. Last weekend, I plugged into an EA 350 kw charger with about a 48% SoC. The charging rate quickly ramped up to 219 kw, much higher than I've previously experienced at either EA or EvGo chargers; typically my charging rate tops out in the 180s. After at most a couple of minutes at 219, I received a warning that the station was limiting my charge rate, which dropped to 42 kw. I let R1S charge for a few minutes to see if that rate would increase; it didn't. I then unplugged; the CCS plug was pretty hot. I moved to the charging space next to one I'd been at and plugged in again (350 kw charger). This time, the charge rate topped out at 186 and the plug didn't get hot. It seems like the R1S wasn't ready for a 219 charge rate. I'm guessing lack of pre-conditioning (I had only been driving for a few minutes before I plugged in)?
Could be that the charger wouldn't output 500A, or it could be the vehicle SOC or temp like you are guessing. There's not currently a great way to determine that. Rivian really pulled back on how much it points out that the charger is the limiting factor compared to when it was first released.

Comstockery

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Clubs

Could be that the charger wouldn't output 500A, or it could be the vehicle SOC or temp like you are guessing. There's not currently a great way to determine that. Rivian really pulled back on how much it points out that the charger is the limiting factor compared to when it was first released.
Thanks!

Sponsored

zymolysis

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

Fast charging usually won't stay above 200kW once you get above 50% SoC. So I am not surprised that the second charger never got to 200kW (since, presumably, you were over 50% SoC by then).

OP
OP
zefram47

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

That's the signature of failed cable cooling. My first EA test I recorded had the same issue...spiked up over 200 kW for about 4 minutes and then thermally limited to 40 kW and the cable was hot. Swapped dispensers and got a decent curve after that.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/new-charging-curve-example-2023-10-02.14592/

OP
OP
zefram47

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I see a lot of threads with charts like this. Out of idle curiosity, what software are you using to make these? Don't tell me Excel, LOL. 😆
Sadly, a royal PITA. I ran video of the center screen and extracted data points where they were of interest...15s interval where interesting and 1 min otherwise. With the CANServer device becoming available, it might be possible to automatically grab these data in the near future. But you'd still aggregate those data in Excel, Open/Libre Office Calc, or Google Sheets anyway.

Comstockery

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Attorney
Clubs

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Sadly, a royal PITA. I ran video of the center screen and extracted data points where they were of interest...15s interval where interesting and 1 min otherwise. With the CANServer device becoming available, it might be possible to automatically grab these data in the near future. But you'd still aggregate those data in Excel, Open/Libre Office Calc, or Google Sheets anyway.
Same. Makes for some good spreadsheet therapy on the couch though.

Sponsored

sillygoose

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Mustang Mach-E GT
I have iPhone software written for my Mach-E to record trips and charges if there comes a way to pull it from my R1S. On the Mach-E I use a Bluetooth scan tool to grab all sorts of good driving and charging data that Ford exposes and would love to add Rivian support now that I have both vehicles.

Sample of a recorded trip from the Mach-E (more trip and battery data if you were to scroll up):
Rivian R1T R1S RAN Charging Curve (9% - 81%) Data - From Broomfield, CO Station 1685474322098

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
The charge rate past 80% is very bad. I’m not surprised your patience didn’t last. :)

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I charged at a RAN to 100% over the weekend. Dropped to ~50kW at 80%, to 30kW by 90%, then to 15kW at 100%. Still faster than it will charge on AC/Level 2, so that was good. I started around the 50% mark, (sadly, the Rivian "Charge receipt" thingy in the app doesn't show the charge curve, and I forgot to screenshot at the time,) but I added 56 kWh in 66 minutes. I know it started out pretty good, ~170kWish.

For comparison, the charge before was 75 kWh in 48 minutes. (Started much lower, didn't go to 100%.)

And the next day, put in 105kWh in 48 minutes (started at single-digit %, stopped at about 80%.)
Sponsored