First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Sales
I have had my R1S for about 4 months and right at 4k miles. I take trips from TX to OK and back, every few weeks and have not had any issues until after the update 2004.07.02. I don't know if the update is the issue but I got stuck in OK and now have to have my R1S towed back to TX because it will not accept a charge of any kind. Has or is anyone experiencing charging issues?
Sponsored

Grasshopper

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Sales
I had a friend that just had the same issue in his R1S. The service center told him to perform a hard reset ( when not driving) to
See if that may resolve it. Not sure if he tried that yet.

OP
OP

Jmoss23

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Sales
I had a friend that just had the same issue in his R1S. The service center told him to perform a hard reset ( when not driving) to
See if that may resolve it. Not sure if he tried that yet.
Yes I did 3 hard resets and also put the SUV to sleep. Nothing worked...its about to get towed to a service center and find out what's going on.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Back early on with my first Rivian charger it was arcing in the connector and melted the charger side of the connector. They sent me a new charger, paid electrician to install, and it hasn't ever errored out since.

Grasshopper

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Sales
Yes I did 3 hard resets and also put the SUV to sleep. Nothing worked...its about to get towed to a service center and find out what's going on.
Please keep us posted on what they find. My friend tried the hard reset this morning and brought it to my house to try a different charger. Nothing worked. He is also going to take it to the dealer.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jmoss23

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Sales
Please keep us posted on what they find. My friend tried the hard reset this morning and brought it to my house to try a different charger. Nothing worked. He is also going to take it to the dealer.
Mine is being towed to the dealership right now. I will message when I find out what happen.

simpsonhomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Model S Plaid
I have had my R1S for about 4 months and right at 4k miles. I take trips from TX to OK and back, every few weeks and have not had any issues until after the update 2004.07.02. I don't know if the update is the issue but I got stuck in OK and now have to have my R1S towed back to TX because it will not accept a charge of any kind. Has or is anyone experiencing charging issues?
I'm in the same boat. After installing 2004.07.02, the app flashed a giant red "CHARGER DAMAGED" covering half the screen but then it immediately disappeared so I couldn't take a screenshot. Other folks on Reddit had the same experience and general consensus was that it was a fluke.

Then a couple days later I started getting generic "vehicle error" messages and the car wouldn't charge sometimes during its regular top-ups that it does every 4-6 hours.

I'm using the OEM Rivian charger at 48A. I tried it on my Tesla Universal Wall Connector and had the same problem. I did full vehicle restart (as well as infotainment restart), restarted both chargers, lowered amperage to 32A...nothing works. There is no visible damage the car's charge pins or the chargers' charge pins.

Oddly, it'll do a full charge just fine every time. The other day I plugged it in and it charged the full 3.5 hours with no problem, only to fail hours later when it woke up to do a quick top-up charge.

This morning I awoke to another "vehicle error" message (plus "unplug and try again") and inability to charge. I turned on preconditioning and then it started charging up again without me touching the car. I tried this trick before and it didn't do anything, so I'm not really sure it affected anything this time.

For me, it seems like it has a problem when it wakes up and suddenly starts trying to charge. I wonder if this firmware release made some changes to that behavior, and there's a race condition causing intermittent failures.

I have a service appointment set for April, but I have little faith that the service center will do anything since they'll just tell me they can't consistently reproduce it (speaking from experience here).

OP
OP

Jmoss23

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Sales
I'm in the same boat. After installing 2004.07.02, the app flashed a giant red "CHARGER DAMAGED" covering half the screen but then it immediately disappeared so I couldn't take a screenshot. Other folks on Reddit had the same experience and general consensus was that it was a fluke.

Then a couple days later I started getting generic "vehicle error" messages and the car wouldn't charge sometimes during its regular top-ups that it does every 4-6 hours.

I'm using the OEM Rivian charger at 48A. I tried it on my Tesla Universal Wall Connector and had the same problem. I did full vehicle restart (as well as infotainment restart), restarted both chargers, lowered amperage to 32A...nothing works. There is no visible damage the car's charge pins or the chargers' charge pins.

Oddly, it'll do a full charge just fine every time. The other day I plugged it in and it charged the full 3.5 hours with no problem, only to fail hours later when it woke up to do a quick top-up charge.

This morning I awoke to another "vehicle error" message (plus "unplug and try again") and inability to charge. I turned on preconditioning and then it started charging up again without me touching the car. I tried this trick before and it didn't do anything, so I'm not really sure it affected anything this time.

For me, it seems like it has a problem when it wakes up and suddenly starts trying to charge. I wonder if this firmware release made some changes to that behavior, and there's a race condition causing intermittent failures.

I have a service appointment set for April, but I have little faith that the service center will do anything since they'll just tell me they can't consistently reproduce it (speaking from experience here).
Mine will not preset for the fast charger, it does not show up on the screen. I can charge it at home but this happened while I was traveling out of state, it wouldn't connect to any charger. It's being towed back as we speak.

OP
OP

Jmoss23

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Sales
They told me it was the chargers not the car which is hard to believe because I went to 5 charging stations and tried each charger at the stations and none worked. I am about to pick it up and "hope" I don't get stuck in another state with no charge again.

simpsonhomer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, Model S Plaid
They told me it was the chargers not the car which is hard to believe because I went to 5 charging stations and tried each charger at the stations and none worked. I am about to pick it up and "hope" I don't get stuck in another state with no charge again.
Did Rivian service actually test it with an L3/DCFC? Did they review the logs?

Do you have a DCFC near your home that you can test out before your next trip?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jmoss23

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Sales
I have not yet but I will test it. There is no way I am traveling again without testing it to make sure that I don't get stuck again.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Has your credit card on-file expired?

OP
OP

Jmoss23

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Sales
No, I checked that and even changed to another card just incase.

Reactions: VSG

Mathme

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T: El Cap, OC, 20AT, Off road package
Occupation
High Tech
Ever since the last update, I get (at random times) "Pet mode turned on/off" when driving. Today I got it to repeat itself consistently when activating/deactivating the cruise control.

I didn't really know I needed pet mode turned on at 45mph.

OP
OP

Jmoss23

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Sales
That's weird, I just wonder if there are bugs in the update.
Sponsored