Sponsored

Day 4 of ownership - already dropped off with service (CCS / DC Fast Charging not working)

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
That would be very frustrating, but they will get you taken care of. Hopefully it is something simple and you’ll be back out there soon.
Sponsored

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I see you joined the forum today. I get trying to vent out your frustrations but this is kind of a pet-peeve of mine. People create accounts just to complain or vent. Therefore it appears a larger percent of rivians have problems than actuality. I get looking for advice on how to proceed but it appears this was just to complain. Every forum has the same issues. When people are happy people are less likely to get in and say “yeah, everything works as intended”.

thanks just my venting.
Wow. Kick the guy while he is down. Not cool. 😐

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

I see your point... and do agree. I have been lurking here for a long time, but had not made an account until today. I have seen all the issues posted here and other places, and realize that people are more likely to speak out when they have problems! (Go look at any car forum)

For the record I decided to buy the R1S after driving my Dad's R1T for a few months. He has never had any issues with it!
Sorry if it came off harsh. I came home sick today am in a generally pissy mood because I never get sick. And sorry if it came harsh at you. You are a good person that replied very well for my message that lacked tact. I hope all gets resolved. I know I have had my R1T for 16 months and am still absolutely in love. I hope you get to that point.

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

Sorry if it came off harsh. I came home sick today am in a generally pissy mood because I never get sick. And sorry if it came harsh at you. You are a good person that replied very well for my message that lacked tact. I hope all gets resolved. I know I have had my R1T for 16 months and am still absolutely in love. I hope you get to that point.
Yeah, that’s what I get for replying when I am in a piss poor mood. Sometimes I need to shut up.
Be easy, man. You've been here since '21. You've seen price-hike-gate, trust fund babies bricking their Rivians in the snow, d-bags flipping their R1s in fields, @OutofSpecKyle stealing someone's R1, and so much more... there should be a support group. There's going to be new people who join who don't have this institutional knowledge/pain. I ran into a guy IRL the other day who mentioned he had a quad-motor R1S reservation at $78k and didn't know about price-hike-gate. I had to take a deep breath. I can empathize with your reaction and implore you not to beat yourself up (though the mea culpa is, I think, appreciated), but we should welcome our new family members with open arms, while gently introducing them to our collective trauma. Seriously, Rivian should have a brochure or a website to explain this stuff.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1T QM, '23 R1S QM, '23 MY DM, '24 Cyberbeast
Occupation
Electric bum
I have a brand new 2023 QM R1T. Currently has 427 miles, only home charged, never been DC fastft charged before. Today, I'm tried to charge it to 100% for my long interstate trip tomorrow but it stopped charging at 97% and notified me that charging has completed? I have two other Rivians that never stopped charging to 100%, one had around 8000 miles and the other around 4700 miles and both had experienced numerous DC fast charging. Is my battery pack bad and is showing degradation already with only 427 level 2 charged miles?
Anyone experienced this before?

Rivian R1T R1S Day 4 of ownership - already dropped off with service (CCS / DC Fast Charging not working) Screenshot_20231114_181410_Rivian

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
This sucks. So far, I haven't had issues after a year. Hope it continues. Interested in finding out what is the source of the issue.

OP
OP

Preoccupy7513

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I have a brand new 2023 QM R1T. Currently has 427 miles, only home charged, never been DC fastft charged before. Today, I'm tried to charge it to 100% for my long interstate trip tomorrow but it stopped charging at 97% and notified me that charging has completed? I have two other Rivians that never stopped charging to 100%, one had around 8000 miles and the other around 4700 miles and both had experienced numerous DC fast charging. Is my battery pack bad and is showing degradation already with only 427 level 2 charged miles?

Screenshot_20231114_181410_Rivian.jpg
very strange… seems like an edge case, update us with what Rivian says… thanks for sharing…

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
Just sharing my experience with a new R1S I picked up last Friday. Received the car with 85% charge did some driving around town, and planned on doing a little beginner off-roading the following day. I started the road trip out to the desert with around 55%, and topped up to 80ish% with an EVGO fast charger, everything worked as expected!

On the return trip home, I had around 30% when I arrive back in town, and tried using a Circle K fast charger. It would not work, continually displaying "Error, The car detected a problem". I tried 2 different lines / machines there. This station had a good plugshare rating, and a R1T owner commented on it working fine just the day before.

The next day I went out and tried 2 separate EA stations, and multiple lines / dispensers. All of those machines errored out on me, with the R1S screen continually cycling between "starting" and "re-plug the cable". EA reset the machines several times and pushed through the payment on their end in case there was some kind of billing issue. I did a soft reset and a full reset as well, still did not charge. At least EA offered me one free charging session for going through the troubleshooting with them.

During my call with EA support, various vehicles were able to pull in and use the chargers I was just attempting to use.

Rivian phone support had me do the same resets, and also put the car in sleep mode. After these steps I went back to the Circle K station to try again. Same error. AC charging at home (using a regular wall plug) was working, so at least I got the car charged enough to make it to the service center.

Pretty disappointing to experience a problem with such a fundamental part of the vehicle this early on. The service center said that they have a bunch of cars ahead of me, and that I was going to be lucky to have it looked at by Wednesday. Contacted my guide about this experience hoping that he can help push the service earlier, but have not heard back.

On a side note, the off-roading was amazing, we made it up a steep sandy hill that a few experienced drivers with trucks did not attempt, they said they did not have enough power.
I have had similar issues with older versions of EA chargers. Every time I charge at Valley Fair Mall in SJC, my R1S either fails to charge or stops charging after 10-15 mins. Twice, I had a Battery System fault error with the turtle mode icon display. After a hard reboot, the error went away. So I stopped charging at older EA charging stations. I don't have any issues with newer EA charging stations or EvGo stations.

OP
OP

Preoccupy7513

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I have had similar issues with older versions of EA chargers. Every time I charge at Valley Fair Mall in SJC, my R1S either fails to charge or stops charging after 10-15 mins. Twice, I had a Battery System fault error with the turtle mode icon display. After a hard reboot, the error went away. So I stopped charging at older EA charging stations. I don't have any issues with newer EA charging stations or EvGo stations.
noobie to the world of EVs, how can you tell apart the “old” EA chargers from the new?

Sponsored

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
noobie to the world of EVs, how can you tell apart the “old” EA chargers from the new?
If the charger has two charging cables then I skip it. The newer EA chargers are generally 350Kw Hyperfast with only one charging cable per station.

Smeek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S (Quad Motor, Granite
Occupation
physician
Be easy, man. You've been here since '21. You've seen price-hike-gate, trust fund babies bricking their Rivians in the snow, d-bags flipping their R1s in fields, @OutofSpecKyle stealing someone's R1, and so much more... there should be a support group. There's going to be new people who join who don't have this institutional knowledge/pain. I ran into a guy IRL the other day who mentioned he had a quad-motor R1S reservation at $78k and didn't know about price-hike-gate. I had to take a deep breath. I can empathize with your reaction and implore you not to beat yourself up (though the mea culpa is, I think, appreciated), but we should welcome our new family members with open arms, while gently introducing them to our collective trauma. Seriously, Rivian should have a brochure or a website to explain this stuff.
i’m a bit new year but watch this guys videos. what happened here??

Tucker74

First Name
Tucker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
@RayzorBEV what is your charge limit set to? You may be limiting it from fully charging -

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3

Screenshot_20231114_181410_Rivian.jpg

Mine does it all the time. I have it set at 80% but it always stop at 78 or 79%. I can't figure out why.

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

i’m a bit new year but watch this guys videos. what happened here??
long story short: a year or so ago, getting your R1 delivered was very much a zero-sum game and people who had been waiting four years were all queued up and receiving theirs at a slow pace. He did a review of the truck with a media loaner, loved it, remarked about how he wish he’d reserved one, then had one a few weeks (months?) later while the plebeians continued to wait. He also somehow got the pre-price hike pricing apparently. The hate is sprinkled across the forum like the fine dust of the Milky Way, but there is at least one thread discussing him getting called out by another YouTuber:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/alex-on-autos-calls-out-rivian-for-line-cutting.7142/
Sponsored