Sponsored

Does this Rivian patent demonstrate Max Pack module positioning?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Are you looking at that box in #320? Definitely could be! I don’t know what else is supposed to be under there except for storage.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I was looking through Rivian's patents and I happened to notice this nice illustration that seems to indicate what I had assumed about the max pack. That the extra 12th module would have to be stacked above the rest of the pack, under the rear seat.
1666039271285.png

https://patents.google.com/patent/US20220144348A1/en?oq=20220144348
Good find.

I was 95% sure they were sticking with the original under seat storage compromise on the T, but had hoped they figured out a way around it somehow.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Still a 5% chance...

[0044]
The foregoing is merely illustrative of the principles of this disclosure, and various modifications may be made by those skilled in the art without departing from the scope of this disclosure. The above-described embodiments are presented for purposes of illustration and not of limitation. The present disclosure also can take many forms other than those explicitly described herein. Accordingly, it is emphasized that this disclosure is not limited to the explicitly disclosed methods, systems, and apparatuses, but is intended to include variations to and modifications thereof, which are within the spirit of the following claims.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I *think* they changed that, and the additional modules fit in the open space that's between the frame rails. Which is what RJ pointed to when he was giving a factory tour to some media.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I *think* they changed that, and the additional modules fit in the open space that's between the frame rails. Which is what RJ pointed to when he was giving a factory tour to some media.
11 vs 12 modules. I'm still doubtful they could hit the 400+ mile target on only 11 modules. Personally I'd much rather give up the under seat storage for another ~8% range.

seajayseven

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Occupation
Jobs
Pull off the underbody panels and there is a ton of room for more battery. A ton.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Pull off the underbody panels and there is a ton of room for more battery. A ton.
Only room for two modules behind the existing ones. Seems like a lot but the modules are pretty big and you still need all the supporting connections, and stay far enough away from the motors.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
I agree, there's space between rails already by many pictures out there. Now where they put it... Knowing Rivian engineering it'll end up under the frunk tub! Why you might ask, well because they don't like to do simple things - witness the tonneau cover.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
11 vs 12 modules. I'm still doubtful they could hit the 400+ mile target on only 11 modules. Personally I'd much rather give up the under seat storage for another ~8% range.
11 modules seems to align with the battery sizes. 135 kwh/8*11 = 185 kwh. That would also land at like 430 miles of range just scaling things up by the ratio.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

11 modules seems to align with the battery sizes. 135 kwh/8*11 = 185 kwh. That would also land at like 430 miles of range just scaling things up by the ratio.
135 has 9 modules

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Don't read too much into a patent drawing, especially when the patent is for a completely different concept. Patents are documenting/protecting a concept, not a specific design. If you closely compare the illustration to a photo of the Rivian "sled" you'll see lots of differences.

Reactions: Jac

MikeySea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model X
Occupation
Gainfully unemployed
I hope so. I love that underseat storage. Use it constantly for odds & ends.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer