Sponsored

Dual Motor R1T - what's your avg mi/kwh?

Dual Motor R1T - What's your average efficiency?

• Total voters

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Prospective owner here - I'm digging into the gen 2 range claims. Looking at the large battery they're claiming 330 mi for the R1T with 109.4 kWh.

That's an average of 3mi/kwh.... Is that as far fetched as it seems? I barely hit 3 with my significantly smaller and more aerodynamic (and admittedly inefficient) Mustang Mach E
Sponsored

TTedP

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 R1T DM, Large
Occupation
Telecom
Keep in mind large pack went from ~131 kWh to ~109 kWh and now has different battery cells.

My Gen1 DM Large says 305mi @100%. w20"AT / 131 = 2.32 mi/kWh. I usually see 2.3-2.5 on road trips and ~2.8 if in chill mode. No one has the new R1T Gen2 large yet. There may be a thread around here on early Gen2 EPA testing.

Last edited:
OP
OP

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Keep in mind large pack went from ~131 kWh to ~109 kWh and now has different battery cells.

My Gen1 DM Large says 305mi @100%. w20"AT / 131 = 2.32 mi/kWh. I usually see 2.3-2.5 on road trips and ~2.8 if in chill mode. No one has the new R1T Gen2 large yet. There may be a thread around here on early Gen2 EPA testing.
Yeah that's exactly where my concern is. The battery is now a smaller capacity. And while I'm sure the internal efficiency is slightly better than gen 1, I have a hard time believing that 3 mi/kwh is a realistic metric given that the dual motors and aerodynamics didn't change in any meaningful way

teartags

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T A/T
Got my Dual Large with AT package (20" AT's) in Nov. So mostly coldish weather (CO) for the 1st 6 months. I averaged 2.11 until around April in the 10k miles range. I reset ODO-B at that time and now have about 5k additional miles and am seeing 2.45 mi/ kwh on THOSE miles. There was still some cold weather at the beginning in April, so I'm guessing I will be around 2.5-6 during summer months.
I generally drive it like I stole it, so I'm guessing someone else could do much better. I'll reset it again here soon when I get a rotation, so should have a true summer average soon.

Sponsored

saylormd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
PDM R1T max, Subaru Outback, Hyundai Palisade
Love my new truck but not impressed so far with the efficiency. Really glad I got the max battery because MPK varies in my G1 R1T PDM Max: 1.7 to 2.7, mostly 1.9 to 2.2. If this continues to be my experience the real world range based on 70% (80% to 10% state of charge) of 141 kWh is just over 200 miles. Fine as a daily driver and short weekend trips, of course.

This is at sea level, posted speed limit, with OEM 21" road tires + aero wheels, all purpose mode, standard height (not auto, which I do plan to use on longer trips), empty bed, and often using cruise control. Much worse in sport mode, of course, but so much fun who cares (sports mode is not included in above figures). Temperature has been 55-75 F. Even with all these variables held relatively constant the real-time efficiency displayed jumps all over. This variability does not seem to be related to how I have been driving or any other factor I have isolated. In town MPK is (about 1.9) worse than on a two lane highway (about 2.1) at typically 45-50 mph with a stop for cross traffic now and then. Limited access highway is better, 2.4-2.6 at 65-70 mph. Unless something changes as it "breaks in" my highway range (maximum planned distance between typical highway charge points) is likely to be only up to about 250 miles. This is also fine, as I rarely drive more than 500 or so miles per day when traveling, so one longer stop or two short ones.

I am very interested to hear other real world experiences about this topic.

Last edited:

Wildgoose115

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Dual Motor, Large Pack
Occupation
Video Producer
Gen 1 DM Large, with 20" dark OEM wheels. I've got about 6k miles on it since delivery in February in Michigan. My total average is 1.99 right now, used to be like 2.05. it's hard to not punch it with the instant acceleration...

I will also reset it with my tire rotation next month.

I'm hoping that the new OEM Goodyears might be a slightly more efficient option for us with 20" wheels.

Davethadog

First Name
YaMa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Trucks, bikes, excavators
This is why we ended up getting a g1 large pack last week. I know there are definitely efficiencies in the gen 2 but I seriously doubt they’ll be enough to compensate for the significantly smaller battery.

OP
OP

mpshizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Just doing some quick math based on Rivian's claims:

(These numbers are based on 22" sport wheels, which is now standard on Gen 2, and will give us a fair comparison)

Gen 1 Large: 341 mi with 131 kWh battery. That would be about 2.6 mi/kWh

Gen 2 Large: 330 mi with 109.4 kWh Battery. That would be just about 3 mi/kWh

So that's a 16% smaller battery, but only 3% less stated range.. In order to achieve that number gen 2 would have to be 15% more efficient than gen 1.

Put that way it seems.... Possible. Unlikely but possible.

Side note - even 341 is a bit far fetched it seems. Most of you are getting 2.3-2.5 according to the poll. So if you were to drive from 100% until the truck literally stops moving you'd be between 300-327 mi.

Side side note - it seems that most that have responded have the 20" wheels... Which are by far the least efficient. So.... None of these numbers really are that scientific... But I'm still enjoying the musings!! I guess we'll have to just wait until more gen 2 vehicles get out there and do some range testing

strykerwsu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy SS, Ford Bronco, Ram Rebel, Ford Flex, G8
I'm sure you undersrand but the 300+ is on a perfect epa setup at slower avg speeds. I have a quad, but with 21's and interstate speeds 2.25 is amazing and 2.1 is normal in reg conditions. I would be shocked unless at high elevation during summer that anyone would get >2.5 in a dual, either gen on interstate unless wind aided.

Sponsored

aznkukuboi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I will chime in here but I may be an anomaly.

I have the dual motor large pack. On the stock 21 inch wheels, I get 2.55 mi/kw, which is about 330 miles from full to dead.

However, I recently changed to 20 inch Atomic wheels and got the low rolling resistant general grabbers. I can now achieve 2.9 mi/kw. My theoretical is 380 miles on a full charge . (I stopped at 370 and was too pussy to find out the last 3% would get me though hahaha)

Things to note: I'm a very conservative driver, so my numbers may be drastically different from yours. If the gen 2 has extremely light wheels and tires, they probably can get 3 mi/kw then.

First Name
MICHAEL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Chevy Bolt, Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Government Sales
My dual motor on 21” stock tires averages 2.5 ish unless I’m towing or driving it hard. Highway / interstate driving 2.2-2.4 but I usually push it around 75-80mph.

Jiri

First Name
Jiri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 1983 Defender, 1999 Defender, Tesla Model 3
R1T Dual Perf. max and getting around 2.4 now on 20” Martian Wheels with Toyo ATs EV. On 22s mixed aggressive driving getting 2.5+ with heavy foot and mixed driving around DC including good chunks at 80 mph on freeway. (I swapped back and forth between off road wheel/tire and the 22s when we aren’t planning any mountains / camping for a while)

josh0

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2014 Jeep Cherokee
Driving around Baltimore this weekend, with the AC blasting in my R1T dual-motor max pack with stock road tires/wheels, I was getting around 3-3.5. On the highway I wasn’t paying as much attention, but I believe it was in the mid to high 2s.

ABRP says 3.13 at 65 mph, pulling data from the truck

Rivian R1T R1S Dual Motor R1T - what's your avg mi/kwh? IMG_0816

KRG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

I have the 22” sports. My lifetime average is 2.22 but I drive pretty aggressively with zero regard for efficiency most of the time. Also many little roadtrips up mountains etc.
Sponsored