Sponsored

Fog lights installed near on the lower grill area?

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I drilled a hole behind this light in the blank for the horn, low so the light and grill hide it. With the frunk out, it is easily accessible from the rear as well. I routed wires parallel to the washer fluid lines and then down behind the grill.

20230919_115603.jpg
How were you able to get a washer/nut behind the grill? Iā€™m looking at my truck with the tub removed, etc and short of removing the grill I donā€™t see how itā€™s possible.
Sponsored

Riptonite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S & Model X
Occupation
Aerospace
Clubs

How were you able to get a washer/nut behind the grill? Iā€™m looking at my truck with the tub removed, etc and short of removing the grill I donā€™t see how itā€™s possible.
I kind of tipped, squeezed and wiggled it through one of the holes. It scuffed the plastic slightly, but not much. The washer went in separately and then I finagled them together with fingers and picks through the holes. A finger in from an adjacent hole held it together while I put the bracket and hardware on.

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I kind of tipped, squeezed and wiggled it through one of the holes. It scuffed the plastic slightly, but not much. The washer went in separately and then I finagled them together with fingers and picks through the holes. A finger in from an adjacent hole held it together while I put the bracket and hardware on.
Haha ok I was about to try that but didnā€™t want to deal with a lost washer/nut on top of the skidā€¦ not today.

Are your lights slightly pointing out due to the curvature of the grill?

I talked to Xtrusion Overland about a light bar mount using the factory recovery hook mounting points or something like that. Itā€™s tough with the sensors and camera.

For now Iā€™m going to focus on finishing my wiring for the new lights in the bed rack. One project at a time!

Canā€™t unsee snake eyes and fangs šŸ˜‚

Rivian R1T R1S Fog lights installed near on the lower grill area? IMG_3928

Last edited:

Riptonite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S & Model X
Occupation
Aerospace
Clubs

Haha ok I was about to try that but didnā€™t want to deal with a lost washer/nut on top of the skidā€¦ not today.

Are your lights slightly pointing out due to the curvature of the grill?

I talked to Xtrusion Overland about a light bar mount using the factory recovery hook mounting points or something like that. Itā€™s tough with the sensors and camera.

For now Iā€™m going to focus on finishing my wiring for the new lights in the bed rack. One project at a time!

Canā€™t unsee snake eyes and fangs šŸ˜‚

IMG_3928.jpeg
LOL - obviously serpentine!

I dropped bolts and washers behind the grill a couple times but they didn't go far enough to be out of sight and were easily retrieved. A combination of not frozen fingers and a pick or thin screwdriver were essential.
The lateral wiring behind the grill is still visible and it did not want to tuck (and stay) under the bumper lip so I will soon try some gap-filler round foam sections to wedge it in place.
Yes, they angle out because I did not shim behind the brackets and went with the grill curve. I did try to locate them directly above the tow loops so they didn't add another "line" to the face.
Agree that anything in front of the bumper has to contend with many sensors.
Do anyone know of any single row (roughly 1" tall), wide, multi function light bars? Especially slightly curved ones that could match the grill.

OP
OP

VikingMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
LOL - obviously serpentine!

I dropped bolts and washers behind the grill a couple times but they didn't go far enough to be out of sight and were easily retrieved. A combination of not frozen fingers and a pick or thin screwdriver were essential.
The lateral wiring behind the grill is still visible and it did not want to tuck (and stay) under the bumper lip so I will soon try some gap-filler round foam sections to wedge it in place.
Yes, they angle out because I did not shim behind the brackets and went with the grill curve. I did try to locate them directly above the tow loops so they didn't add another "line" to the face.
Agree that anything in front of the bumper has to contend with many sensors.
Do anyone know of any single row (roughly 1" tall), wide, multi function light bars? Especially slightly curved ones that could match the grill.
On my brief search today M&R had a light bar that looked like it might work.

Sponsored

OP
OP

VikingMD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I also saw some T nuts that took 1/2 inch bolts that might work for installation.

Riptonite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S & Model X
Occupation
Aerospace
Clubs

Pictures:
1. Low beams
2. Low beams plus Morimoto Fogs
3. Morimoto Fogs only
4. Low beams + factory Fogs
5. Low beams + factory fogs + Morimoto Fogs
6. High beams
7. High beams + Morimoto Fogs

Note: the ground slopes up gently on the right and there is both a mulch pile and old barn over there. To the left, there is a house behind the garden.

One aspect missed by the camera contrast ratio is the Morimoto's additional light to the sides above the cut off line. It isn't blinding by any stretch, but objects exist over there that the factory fogs entirely miss with sharp cut off and no scatter.

Rivian R1T R1S Fog lights installed near on the lower grill area? 20230919_215732

Rivian R1T R1S Fog lights installed near on the lower grill area? 20230919_215743

Rivian R1T R1S Fog lights installed near on the lower grill area? 20230919_215835

Rivian R1T R1S Fog lights installed near on the lower grill area? 20230919_215927

Rivian R1T R1S Fog lights installed near on the lower grill area? 20230919_215937

Rivian R1T R1S Fog lights installed near on the lower grill area? 20230919_220024

Rivian R1T R1S Fog lights installed near on the lower grill area? 20230919_220032

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Pictures:
1. Low beams
2. Low beams plus Morimoto Fogs
3. Morimoto Fogs only
4. Low beams + factory Fogs
5. Low beams + factory fogs + Morimoto Fogs
6. High beams
7. High beams + Morimoto Fogs
Great pictures! I might've missed it but where did you mount your switch for the fogs?

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
I don't want to hijack this thread but would like to see your bed rack lighting installation in a new thread if you have the time.... thanks.

Sponsored

WattTruckMatt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I don't want to hijack this thread but would like to see your bed rack lighting installation in a new thread if you have the time.... thanks.
I'll post the final pics on my build thread once I'm done, but I'll go ahead and upload some pics there so you can see the work in progress. šŸ‘ (link in my signature)

Riptonite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S & Model X
Occupation
Aerospace
Clubs

Great pictures! I might've missed it but where did you mount your switch for the fogs?
I used a Trigger 4 Plus so it has a wireless Bluetooth set of 4 switches. For now, I stash it in the cubby under the driver's seat and open that to use switches. I intend to mount it with removable double-sided tape to the side of the center tunnel lower tray, just ahead of the driver's seat.

Smlee

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3, BMW X5, BMW 330 and Winnebago Aspect
With them off and the Trigger 4 Plus location

20230919_115509.jpg

20230913_180125.jpg

20230919_115634.jpg
Hi, questions? What is the trigger 4 plus mounted on? Where is the mount attached and how?
Sponsored