Sponsored

Ford/Tesla Deal: Access to Superchargers, adapter coming, future EVs will have NACS (Tesla) port

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Oh I'm sure Tesla is going to try to get their cut from manufacturers by charging API access on the backend for payments or something. Would be disappointing but not surprising.

I wonder if they're hoping to get any Inflation Reduction Act money from opening their chargers this way with an adapter -- a payment scheme that way would maybe violate the payment portions of the bill. And would just be frowned upon generally. They've proven already with the magic dock that the adapter doesn't require anything but an app to pay with, nothing from the vehicle itself.
They can do what printer companies have done for decades, sell the hardware at cost and make the money selling the power. A lot of places the Tesla Superchargers are under utilized (not where I normally am), it would really help Tesla to reduce the idle times of those stations.
Sponsored

Khaneric

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Plymouth Roadrunner
Occupation
IT
Bad timing for RJ to have his AMA on Instagram tomorrow... i'm sure they are already getting hit with hundreds of people asking if they are next.

OP
OP
itselectric

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Bad timing for RJ to have his AMA on Instagram tomorrow... i'm sure they are already getting hit with hundreds of people asking if they are next.
Actually, this is great timing! I hope they do ask and I hope Rivian gets in ASAP.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I’m still waiting for Rivian to enable plug and charge for EA, ChargePoint, etc…

MDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance, LE R1T
Occupation
Retired Chemical Engineer
I certainly agree that the limited roll out was just an initial test to see how it went.

The argument for the Magic Dock was to limit the usage to only locations that were more rural. So that they got more usage.

Having an adapter means that any of the Superchargers can be used.

I don't see this as a win for EV's.

Instead I see it as the death of the magic dock hopes.

For a Ford EV owner its definitely a win.

For a Tesla owner its likely a loss because the location of the port on the Ford means that its going to use the wrong charger. This will lead to unoptimized charging where one stall will go unused if a Ford is charging.
I see it as a win for EVs as Ford customers will have zero range anxiety just like Tesla owners. Thus forward EV adoption. RANs are great but are too sparse. If RJ follows Ford, Rivian can stop RAN deployment, save millions, become profitable sooner and help R1T/R1S owners.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

True but hard to trust. It says the adapter will only work with version 3, that 12k number is old (or wrong).
I'm hoping this announcement means Tesla is going to have replaced all of their v2 stations by the time the adapter is for sale. Otherwise Ford will end up with some unhappy customers in places where those are the only superchargers.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I'm hoping this announcement means Tesla is going to have replaced all of their v2 stations by the time the adapter is for sale. Otherwise Ford will end up with some unhappy customers in places where those are the only superchargers.
I think they will need to add a filter on the SC map, currently the map only shows max charge rate, not hardware level.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Hopefully Rivian and Ford will relocate the charge port to driver side rear-- as Chevy did with their upcoming EV truck.

Tesla has v4 Supercharger--with longer cord--deployed in a few European locations. Eventually we will see this deployed in USA.
I forgot that Tesla was forced to go with longer cables and CCS (CCS2?) for Europe to be compatible.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

wow, thats surprising but strategic by Ford. lets see if that play ends up working out for them.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

The EV world is changing quickly. Hopefully, this will be for the better.

Brian

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
I see it as a win for EVs as Ford customers will have zero range anxiety just like Tesla owners. Thus forward EV adoption. RANs are great but are too sparse. If RJ follows Ford, Rivian can stop RAN deployment, save millions, become profitable sooner and help R1T/R1S owners.
RANs are long term profit centers. No need to stop them

Grabs10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo T8 and f350
If Ford wants to sell EV’s in the number it hopes it is a smart move to go NACS and ditch CCS…. CCS is likely to go the way of Chademo…. I hope these Ford dealers that are signed up to sell Ford EV’s install NACS connector on the required chargers they have to install since Ford is switching to the NACS connector. Lot more charging options for Teslas and Ford’s if they “combine” networks.

Hopefully Rivian sees the light and switch too!!!

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

But no photo of how long the cord on this adapter is?
Curious to see when this rolls out if they are at all interchangeable between different Fords or different brands.

Magic doc worked nicely on my last trip but I still wish they would just sell an overpriced adapter to anyone that wants one and let the chaos begin.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Whatever happens with this I refuse to ever call it NACS.

Rivian R1T R1S Ford/Tesla Deal: Access to Superchargers, adapter coming, future EVs will have NACS (Tesla) port Unknown

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
If Tesla is trying to “force” their standard upon the market by saying: “only viable way to use superchargers is our way or else”, I don’t think many brands are going to jump on.

Ultimately, this is what I’m most concerned with, if that’s what’s happening here. It’ll slow down EV adoption and ultimately not be end customer friendly
Sponsored