Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS1
Occupation
Farmer
Clubs

So from my exhaustive reading from this thread, there is a gripe against AT&T. What if they went to an esim model for connectivity (assuming they have the software/antennas that will work) and you could choose AT&T/Tmobile/Cricket/Verizon/etc. Better for regional access as well depending on where you live.

I'm totally fine paying up to $100*/month

Let's hope it is not $100/month!
Sponsored

kallisti5

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I hate paying extra for stuff... and would *never* pay for OnStar in my previous Bolt EV since the service was so shite, and I refuse to play their telephone games trying to get you to forget you pay for it.

however, Rivian's LTE connectivity really does provide a lot of benefits. If they offered an reasonable-cost service, (< $100 a year) i'd likely pay. $79/yr? Sold, and i'd pay it religiously.

kbrumbau

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
I couldn’t agree more. It would be crazy for Rivian to force customers into purchasing a data subscription to obtain full functionality of a vehicle they’ve purchased. Especially when virtually every Rivian customer already has a data plan via their mobile phones. Let us teather our R1’s to our phones

ActionableDave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition, LA Silver 22 Sport Bright
Occupation
Market Research Executive
I think if I could just have a satellite connection and decent software that integrates with my phone via either BT or USB, I would be good. Nav should work without a persistent LTE connection, and Spotify can stream from my phone if the LTE connection will come at a cost.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee had that very setup, and while I love the infotainment system on my R1S, I would really prefer CP. I realize everyone is pining for it.

Bottom line for me: If you aren't going to provide the LTE connection, then you don't get to monetize the stack. I am a big Rivian booster, but I can't continually vote against my paycheck.

Since there is no sat connection, I will pay the $100/year for LTE, which is less than $10 per month. Worth it at that price, absent other options.

fluffhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
isthisrequired
Once premium connectivity ends we’re going to find out a lot about Rivian as a company and how they treat their customers. Will they allow their customers the ability to leverage the data that they’re already paying for through their phones? Or will they use use it as an opportunity to extort money from their customers for basic services like access to music streaming and navigation data?

Sponsored

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I’m pretty sure their contract with AT&T won’t allow them to let others provide data: https://about.att.com/story/2023/rivian-commercial-fleet-pilot.html

• AT&T named exclusive connectivity provider for all Rivian vehicles in the U.S. and Canada, enabling smarter, safer and more connected driving experience

So, I guess it’s greedy because they want to sell a bunch of vans and trucks to AT&T and have a second fleet customer.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

IMHO, the value Rivian gains from ingesting our real-world telematics into their analytics systems outweighs the cost of them continuing to subsidize our data plans.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Once premium connectivity ends we’re going to find out a lot about Rivian as a company and how they treat their customers. Will they allow their customers the ability to leverage the data that they’re already paying for through their phones? Or will they use use it as an opportunity to extort money from their customers for basic services like access to music streaming and navigation data?
Be prepared to feel extorted.

Ecupip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Audi, and 2 Jeeps
I hope that’s the price. On my wife’s suburban, GM charges us $240/yr for that same AT&T service
It's also $240/year for our Grand Cherokee through AT&T.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Title of this thread should really be phrased as a question and not a statement of fact.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I would expect that Rivian needs to announce/coordinate/implement any changes to this at least 30 - 60 days in advance, so end of year is not accurate at this point.

Hillbilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Boat and tractor
Occupation
Hillbilly
I have a tablet mounted on the dash that I'll happily stream Google maps, media, etc through via my mobile data plan that I already pay for through Verizon. I just need to know that I'm not going to be forced into paying for Rivian connectivity.

SparkyR1t

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t/Model Y
Occupation
Retired Commercial Electrician and mechanic
how about Rivian covering all data costs during the term of the manufacturers warranty for us..

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
In the Rivian Newsletter- An update on connectivity: Rivian will continue to cover the cost of vehicle LTE connectivity through early 2024. Please look out for further updates next year. Happy holidays, everyone!
Sponsored