Sponsored

Guess it was my time - 12v is dead

wallyman424

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T and 2023 R1S
i bet the car works fine. Same thing happened to my wifes R1s last week. Got the warning, she drove it just fine. Service said measured voltage was fine, just set off the replacement warning. I pulled up the RIDE menu and it was 13.4 volts. They just replaced the battery this past monday.
Sponsored

Jdcorbitt3

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Quad motor CR 2021 Tesla Model Y Perf
Occupation
Pilot
Clubs

Ironically, my daughter’s Y battery failed last week. Coming back from Rivian service today, I decided to drop in to Tesla and buy two batterie, one for each Y. Since my R1T is a May build, I should have bought one for it too. I am keeping my Wife’s Y battery as a hot spare on a float charge. I can use it with Jumper cables for a spare for the R1T.
It is funny we are controlling a 135kwh lithium ion battery with a 0.5kwh lead acid battery.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
This doesn't always mean it can't be driven. As long as the battery doesn't have an internal short, it should be fine.
I would agree, just the fact it is still communicating with the app indicates it is not dead.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Front hood almost entirely inaccessible. There's no way to get the tub out of the frunk where it currently is
The tub can stay in place. The 12v batteries are accessible without removing the tub.

ericindc

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps
Occupation
wine snob
I see posts like this and I'm like WTF, why isnt this self repairable? Coming from a classic car and Jeep background, I couldnt imagine not being able to self repair something as simple as a 12-V battery. Is this just a function of the vehicles being within the warranty period?

Sponsored

majorfriend

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser 100, Launch Edition R1T, Mustang Mach
Occupation
IT Consultant
Oh man....keep us updated.

If you can jump it from the rear you should be able to get it to power up and see if there are any warnings on the HV battery.

This seems like such a silly thing to disable the truck.

Joules Burn

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L FE
Occupation
Retired Electronics
It looks like the early R1S had two 12 volt batteries and the newer ones have one 12 volt and some sort of super capacitor. The Rivian batteries look smaller - I don’t think Costco has an equivalent replacement.

My Kia EV6 GT-L had a defective OEM 12 volt battery. (It seems to be an an issue with Hyundai/Kia.) I replaced it with a Costco Interstate AGM and solved the problem. This will probably not be a Rivian solution.

Looking at the battery placement in the front cowling, it looks like some sort of golf cart battery. Not reassuring.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I see posts like this and I'm like WTF, why isnt this self repairable? Coming from a classic car and Jeep background, I couldnt imagine not being able to self repair something as simple as a 12-V battery. Is this just a function of the vehicles being within the warranty period?
It is self repairable, but not required while under warranty.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I am still hoping in the future refresh or next gen R1 Rivian puts a mechanical keyed lock into the driver's door where the key is a part of the fob. And then a mechanical frunk release in the cabin. Then in a 12v failure, at least you can get in the cabin, release the frunk, and get at battery without all the steps needed to be taken today.

For a adventure vehicle, it sure would suck for this 12v failure to occur deep on a trail somewhere and not even be able to get back in the vehicle without tools one generally doesn't have. Downright dangerous.....

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

How is this still happening with the 12V batteries? I thought the software update had the computer monitoring the voltage in the 12V to prevent this kind of thing from happening. With massive batteries in our trucks, it seems ridiculous that they would be crippled by 12V batteries dying.
12v batteries can just die. They just do. Rivian has now made 100,000 vehicles. If there is 1 12v failure a week across the fleet then the failure rate is just 0.052% per year. Even one per day across the fleet is just 0.36% in a year. Perspective.

Sponsored

Fred6v

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi avant, VW Tiguan
Occupation
Consultant
Clubs

I am still hoping in the future refresh or next gen R1 Rivian puts a mechanical keyed lock into the driver's door where the key is a part of the fob. And then a mechanical frunk release in the cabin. Then in a 12v failure, at least you can get in the cabin, release the frunk, and get at battery without all the steps needed to be taken today.

For a adventure vehicle, it sure would suck for this 12v failure to occur deep on a trail somewhere and not even be able to get back in the vehicle without tools one generally doesn't have. Downright dangerous.....
There are a couple posts on set of tools that can be stored in the hitch on the site that assist access to manual lever to frunk. PITA but solvable for $40.

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

I would be shocked if it doesn't drive, unless it sits for another week unattended. Typically, it's a warning prior to complete failure of the batter(ies)
That was not the case for my dead 12V. It was essentially bricked even though trying to jump it at least opened the driver's side door handles but otherwise it was a brick. Couldn't even open the frunk nor tailgate. Since I ALWAYS drive it in lowest sport mode/lowest drive height, the tow truck operator couldn't get under it to release the rear brakes w/ the electronic tool, so he had to hammer some hard-plastic skates under the rear tires to get it on the flatbed.

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
While this is a relatively minor thing to deal with now, WHERE it happened is the real issue. It's going to be an absolute nightmare to try and get this serviced.

The garage at my place is entirely unreachable for any flatbed to tow. The garage it's in it barely squeaks into and the drink area is inaccessible.

I am hoping it can be jumped from the rear well enough to let it back out a bit and have mobile service replace the 12v bits - but if that doesn't work this is going to get ugly, quickly

Screenshot_20240416-163444.png

Screenshot_20240416-155007.png
🫣😱😣

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

12v batteries can just die. They just do. Rivian has now made 100,000 vehicles. If there is 1 12v failure a week across the fleet then the failure rate is just 0.052% per year. Even one per day across the fleet is just 0.36% in a year. Perspective.
Non-defective 12V batteries should NOT just die in < year from delivery regardless of EV, ICE, or whatever. Rivian obviously got a bad batch from the supplier. Who knows how long they were sitting on a shelf before Rivian got them?

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

How is this still happening with the 12V batteries? I thought the software update had the computer monitoring the voltage in the 12V to prevent this kind of thing from happening. With massive batteries in our trucks, it seems ridiculous that they would be crippled by 12V batteries dying.
Well, to be fair, no warning could be expected if there was a short, but considering the number of these occurrences posed on this forum alone, seems highly suspect there would be this many shorts instead of slow degradation which is not comforting since it could point to a common production or even design issue.
Sponsored