First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3 P
Occupation
Professor
I'm on my second R1T as my first one was totaled when a kid ran through a red light and T-Boned me. I had the first one for 6 months and 5,700 miles and it did not have any significant suspension rattles. I've had my second one for just a week and put 325 miles on it and it just started rattling today. It's pretty disconcerting, and absolutely not "normal". It soulds like something in the suspension is loose and rattles loudly over mild bumps, sometimes so bad I can feel it. I'll be putting in a service request.
Sponsored

Deleted member 7086

Have 10,000 miles on my R1T. Have been trying to solve this problem for the past 5,000 miles without success. Good luck. Rivian’s position is unless there is evidence of oil leakage or physical damage they will not replace the shocks.

DSH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T(22), R1T(23), R1S, ETron, Taycan, Model 3,
Add me to the list. Same clunking / suspension rattle as others. Have had it since 500 miles (6 months ago). Had SC check it while in for alignment fix and was told everything normal. Tech said "trucks make noises." Thanks.

I live two miles down a sandy road - the same road my E-Tron and Taycan whisper across - and though there is absolutely no performance issue in the R1T, the suspension sounds as if it has come unbolted, or the dampers failed, or there's a heavy plastic ball rattling around in the frunk.

I love everything about this truck, but the suspension noise is enough to make me think about selling it. Had hoped I'd find some ingenious solve here on the forum threads. So far no luck, but if there's any wisdom I've missed, please share.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Add me to the list. Same clunking / suspension rattle as others. Have had it since 500 miles (6 months ago). Had SC check it while in for alignment fix and was told everything normal. Tech said "trucks make noises." Thanks.

I live two miles down a sandy road - the same road my E-Tron and Taycan whisper across - and though there is absolutely no performance issue in the R1T, the suspension sounds as if it has come unbolted, or the dampers failed, or there's a heavy plastic ball rattling around in the frunk.

I love everything about this truck, but the suspension noise is enough to make me think about selling it. Had hoped I'd find some ingenious solve here on the forum threads. So far no luck, but if there's any wisdom I've missed, please share.
I’ve also had the noises since first few hundred miles. First fix was some new washers. Did nothing for the noise. Second was replacing dampeners in the front. Quieted down the click / ticking for 100 miles. Now back to where it started. This along with a myriad of other issues that either don’t get fixed or get partially fixed at the SC with appointments months apart and “fixes” that take several weeks at the SC each time has me already looking at other options.

I’ve been a beta tester before with Tesla, but issues were fixed and never returned. I have not had that success with Rivian.

Shawnybs

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T CY/OC and Tesla M3P
Clubs

Same noise from the front end here - 15k miles and basically have had it since purchase. If anyone has a solution please share 😅

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Even Kyle from Out of Spec says in his latest video that he is still having half-shaft issues, gear cogging, etc., and he's had the washer "fix" and everything. So if they can't fix this for one of their fans and high profile youtubers, I have little hope they will be fixing mine.

linkwpc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 CMax, 2001 Saleen, 2002 GS300
Clubs

My rear end is noisier. Lots of clicking! Front end does not sound like anything.

OP
OP
computertom

computertom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Bronco Raptor, '80 911 SC
Curious if any Dual Motor folks have any feedback on their front ends / suspension noise?

The R1T that was the genesis of this thread moved on last Spring, but I have since test driven an R1S that was better (bot not perfect) and seen so many R1T's that I think I might want another one.

Stockholm Syndrome anyone?

Last edited:

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Curious if any Duel Motor folks have any feedback on their front ends / suspension noise?

The R1T that was the genesis of this thread moved on last Spring, but I have since test driven an R1S that was better (bot not perfect) and seen so many R1T's that I think I might want another one.

My DM is much better put together and more refined feeling than the QM was. And yes, plush suspension that makes no noise.

Come back to the fold, but I highly recommend getting the new drivetrain.
😎

AlpMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, 4Runner
Occupation
Doing stuff
Curious if any Duel Motor folks have any feedback on their front ends / suspension noise?

My DM is much better put together and more refined feeling than the QM was. And yes, plush suspension that makes no noise.

Come back to the fold, but I highly recommend getting the new drivetrain.
😎
I'm actually in the same boat as computertom. Sold the quad R1T because of the suspension noise and every time I see one on the road (which is a lot in Colorado) makes me want to buy another.

Appreciate the feedback about the DM being more solid and quiet. I will probably setup a demo drive just to make sure all the new ones are quiet and we'll see what happens after that :cool:

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'm actually in the same boat as computertom. Sold the quad R1T because of the suspension noise and every time I see one on the road (which is a lot in Colorado) makes me want to buy another.

Appreciate the feedback about the DM being more solid and quiet. I will probably setup a demo drive just to make sure all the new ones are quiet and we'll see what happens after that :cool:
I want to test drive a dual as well and trade in the quad but the scheduling system doesn’t let you pick which drive motor setup you prefer. 🤷‍♂️

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer

I could have lived with the suspension noise... & even the badly designed half-shafts. It was the quad design itself that eventually turned me off.

The redesigned drivetrain makes all the difference. My new rig has lots of problems... Fit, finish, latches that don't work, all typical when trying to get a new product worked in. I don't care, all that stuff is fixable. As a truck and an off-roader it just works now... The rest will come.
😎

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I don't know. I never bothered to ask her...
Sponsored