Sponsored

Latest on Rivian's move to NACS?

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

It seems you missed your statement about "It's not just up to Tesla" that I had quoted. Tesla is the one making the decisions with regard to the implementation they are requiring of other manufacturers. So yes, it IS up to Tesla....
In any negotiations, both parties has demands. - technical and financial. All these auto mfgs did not simply cave into Tesla. I know many of you here on the forum seem to think that Tesla is autocratic and either Tesla's way or the highway. Mfgs were heavily involved in the agreements. Both parties have somethings to gain through the relationship.

So, if you truly believe its all up to Tesla, and not just being unrealistic to increase banter and fun on the forum, then go ahead and continue to believe what you are saying.

Since many of you on the forum own either the GM or F EV's, you'll be the first to find out how it goes and implemented. Please let us know!
Sponsored

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Curious if anybody has heard anything new on existing R1S/T's being able to use Tesla Superchargers via adapters? I know they've said "Spring 2024", but was hoping somebody had some more concrete info. Hoping to do another road trip this summer....
Lectron, who is selling and manufacturing (but apparently not yet shipping) a NACS adapter mentioned:

"Early adopters of the North
American Charging Standard (NACS) will begin gaining access in the first
half of 2024. Subsequent access will be granted to other automakers throughout the rest of 2024 and 2025, roughly following the order they joined NACS
alliance"

Rivian R1T R1S Latest on Rivian's move to NACS? IMG_2903

Last edited:

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
If Lectron's information is accurate -- and it seems pretty specific for them to just be making it up -- there's no doubt that Tesla is controlling the timing of when each manufacturer will get access. Obviously ever manufacturer would like to get access ASAP, right? So it's most likely either that Tesla has made a policy decision to do the rollout in phases to manage the influx of new users or Tesla has its own software or other IT resource limitations that require a phased rollout (e.g. their team has some work to do verifying communications with different brands and models, connecting each payment system to theirs, etc.)

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
If Lectron's information is accurate -- and it seems pretty specific for them to just be making it up -- there's no doubt that Tesla is controlling the timing of when each manufacturer will get access. Obviously ever manufacturer would like to get access ASAP, right? So it's most likely either that Tesla has made a policy decision to do the rollout in phases to manage the influx of new users or Tesla has its own software or other IT resource limitations that require a phased rollout (e.g. their team has some work to do verifying communications with different brands and models, connecting each payment system to theirs, etc.)
Seems like it and it makes sense. Ford in Feb, GM in March, Rivian in April, and then I don't care who comes next.

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

Thanks! I genuinely had no idea 🙃
I think the 10% number was how many they were going to convert to the magic dock. Since most companies are shifting to NACS, my guess is that plan will change.

Sponsored

SSteveEV

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, etc
Clubs

In any negotiations, both parties has demands. - technical and financial. All these auto mfgs did not simply cave into Tesla. I know many of you here on the forum seem to think that Tesla is autocratic and either Tesla's way or the highway. Mfgs were heavily involved in the agreements. Both parties have somethings to gain through the relationship.

So, if you truly believe its all up to Tesla, and not just being unrealistic to increase banter and fun on the forum, then go ahead and continue to believe what you are saying.

Since many of you on the forum own either the GM or F EV's, you'll be the first to find out how it goes and implemented. Please let us know!
Perhaps this is a better way to phrase it: The fact that my R1T is unable to charge at its nearest Tesla Supercharger is entirely avoidable by Tesla.

If Tesla A) sold a stand alone magic dock adapter (and I purchased it) and B) enabled their app to allow me to use the adapter in the same manner as I can use a magic dock, I'd be able to charge with absolutely no effort from Rivian.

Therefore, its entirely up to Tesla. Since Tesla chose a different path with contracts we are in the dark about, we have no idea which company has what work to do. But it could have been entirely Tesla if they didn't want to maintain more control or squeeze the other automakers for some quid pro quo prior to opening access (and in turn losing a massive market advantage they did a fantastic job building over the years.

RivAW

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Glacier White, Black Mountain, Black AT 20s,
Yes, but HOW MANY are they going to open up?

I've heard they have zero plans to open beyond 10% of their current total network, period. It's all speculation and supposition, so I'm not giving it full credence, BUT I've also not heard any reliable numbers (no one is suggesting they're opening the ENTIRE network, are they?).
You’re just making that up and spreading false information. You’ve “heard”…come on?!

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

You’re just making that up and spreading false information. You’ve “heard”…come on?!
So, first off, if your reading comprehension was beyond grade school levels, you'd see that I fully admitted I didn't have the facts. I was genuinely asking a question based on what I'd known to date (and could only assume was true).

And yes, I'm not making it up: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradte...but-its-more-complex-and-the-plans-misguided/

This was, at one point, the information given.
So...

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I guess you'd agree then that it's not entirely up to Rivian if the RAN is opened to other vehicles based on your logic?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
So, first off, if your reading comprehension was beyond grade school levels, you'd see that I fully admitted I didn't have the facts. I was genuinely asking a question based on what I'd known to date (and could only assume was true).

And yes, I'm not making it up: https://www.forbes.com/sites/bradte...but-its-more-complex-and-the-plans-misguided/

This was, at one point, the information given.
So...
Just to clear up that article was from February last year, pretty sure it is referencing the number of sites that they were planning to add the Magic Dock to.

The deal they are making with the other auto manufacturers will enable those cars to charge at the V3 and V4 chargers using an adapter until they start delivering their vehicles with a NACS port.

Based on a trip I just took a couple of weeks ago in my Tesla, I used 64 unique Super charger stations and 61% of them were V3 (250 kW) stations. Many of the V2 stations had V3 stations in relative close proximity. Based on my trip seems like there will be a decent amount of chargers around to increase charging options while traveling around the US.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Just to clear up that article was from February last year, pretty sure it is referencing the number of sites that they were planning to add the Magic Dock to.

The deal they are making with the other auto manufacturers will enable those cars to charge at the V3 and V4 chargers using an adapter until they start delivering their vehicles with a NACS port.

Based on a trip I just took a couple of weeks ago in my Tesla, I used 64 unique Super charger stations and 61% of them were V3 (250 kW) stations. Many of the V2 stations had V3 stations in relative close proximity. Based on my trip seems like there will be a decent amount of chargers around to increase charging options while traveling around the US.
And any new superchargers are all V3 and V4 so we will be able to use them. According to supercharger.info Tesla has already opened up 3 dozen chargers in North America this month. Impressive speed for sure.

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I guess you'd agree then that it's not entirely up to Rivian if the RAN is opened to other vehicles based on your logic?
In principle yes. Except that I believe RAN DCFC terminals have payment acceptance ability; whereas Tesla SC does not. I've used RAN chargers at several locations but never paid any attention to if it can take payment at the terminal or not. Just plug in-charge-and-go, like Tesla and Rivian charges my cc on file.

So if Rivian RAN did not have payment facility built in already, then others that want to use it somehow must work with Rivian to get the billing part connected, if one wants a simple plug-charge-and-go, like R1 can and how Tesla SC does with their vehicles.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
In principle yes. Except that I believe RAN DCFC terminals have payment acceptance ability; whereas Tesla SC does not. I've used RAN chargers at several locations but never paid any attention to if it can take payment at the terminal or not. Just plug in-charge-and-go, like Tesla and Rivian charges my cc on file.

So if Rivian RAN did not have payment facility built in already, then others that want to use it somehow must work with Rivian to get the billing part connected, if one wants a simple plug-charge-and-go, like R1 can and how Tesla SC does with their vehicles.
I have not heard if this Supercharger access is going to be plug and charge.

Has anyone seen info around that? 🤞🏻 That it will support it as that is probably the single best feature to me of the Superchargers. I wish Rivian would work with EA to implement that as well.

Florida Panhandler

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Happy camper
Clubs

I don’t expect Tesla Superchargers to be greatly overwhelmed in average locations as EA chargers will still be sought out by car owners still getting free EA charging as part of their purchase. However in high traffic Tesla locations it will probably be a different story.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Non Tesla owners will be paying a premium to charge at Supercharging stations.

The recently passed Infrastructure Act is funding the construction of charging stations across the country. The government is even installing them in low income areas where BEV ownership is extremely low. We are also subsidizing electric Semi trucks for businesses.

https://www.transportation.gov/brie...nces-623-million-grants-continue-building-out
Sponsored