Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

There is a Red E station in Elkins, WV. They run Autel units which are very reliable. For some reason Red E doesn't show up in Rivians navigation.

You can find it on plug share tho.

It is new from last May as well. Kinda going along with being impressed on them opening in new places. Especially in WV where the general feeling on EV's ain't great
Thanks.
Sponsored

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Nothing about charging...I just want to know can we finally play a decent second half on the road!?!?
I think our time is coming! It's going to happen.

hgpayne

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
A related question is - how long, after the Tesla chargers open up, will it take Rivian to distribute the free adaptors? I’m thinking about my wait on my tonneau cover 😴 and, well, you get the picture 😂 Whatever, I still love my T.
Thanks for that ... STILL waiting for my manual tonneau....

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Now that we've seen the Ford adapter and know that it does not have the AC pins for J1772 -- exactly as I expected, to be honest* -- do we think Rivian will also provide an AC Tesla->J1772 adapter of some sort? Or will we be on our own for that?

I expected this because the adapter would need to be far more complicated electronically if it has to figure out whether to send power to the AC or DC pins. Having separate adapters that are hardwired to only AC or only DC is far simpler and cheaper. So for better or worse we'll need 2 adapters if we want all charging options available to us.

And if we're on our own, what are people's favorite existing adapters? TeslaTap Mini 60A seems like a great option, but $260 is $$$. The regular pigtail TeslaTap 50A is $170, so probably a better "value", but does require more space. Lectron has a 48A that's an in-between size for just $140 right now. That's probably the winner for me, but maybe others have thoughts on why I should avoid Lectron and that adapter?

I have a Rivian wall charger at home, so any adapter I have will just be for road trips and will be a pretty rare need even for that, at least for a good few years before J1772 is replaced at most public chargers.

Sponsored

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

And if we're on our own, what are people's favorite existing adapters? TeslaTap Mini 60A seems like a great option, but $260 is $$$. The regular pigtail TeslaTap 50A is $170, so probably a better "value", but does require more space. Lectron has a 48A that's an in-between size for just $140 right now. That's probably the winner for me, but maybe others have thoughts on why I should avoid Lectron and that adapter?
Teslatap (OEM) has remanufacturered units for a bit cheaper on eBay. I went for an 80A unit last year and IMHO well worth the money as it's built like a brick. Also have a Lectron and it's night and day in terms of build quality. If you get on eBay, buy the minilocks for it too, just message before paying to add the locks.

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Or will we be on our own for that?
Likely. We have been for the last two years.....

And if we're on our own, what are people's favorite existing adapters?

I bought a previous version of this Shockflo adapter on Amazon, more than a year ago. Have used a half dozen times or so., get 10-11 KW on chargers than are capable for that. Also used it once on an EV6. Looks like you can preorder the updated version for $60 currently ($20 coupon on amazon). Seems solidly built, but hard to tell about electronics from the outside. By far the lowest price I've seen for an adapter.

I understand Lectron is the top brand, but this is enough less $ and has pretty many decent reviews, so was a reseanable option for me.

Last edited:

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Now that we've seen the Ford adapter and know that it does not have the AC pins for J1772 -- exactly as I expected, to be honest* -- do we think Rivian will also provide an AC Tesla->J1772 adapter of some sort? Or will we be on our own for that?

I expected this because the adapter would need to be far more complicated electronically if it has to figure out whether to send power to the AC or DC pins. Having separate adapters that are hardwired to only AC or only DC is far simpler and cheaper. So for better or worse we'll need 2 adapters if we want all charging options available to us.

I have a Rivian wall charger at home, so any adapter I have will just be for road trips and will be a pretty rare need even for that, at least for a good few years before J1772 is replaced at most public chargers.
I have the TeslaTap 50A and it works great!

md2023

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Clubs

0 confrontation here. Just wondering where you are road tripping to? I have done Houston to Buffalo twice now and it's crazy how many more chargers there were November of 23, compared too July of 22'.

I can now go from western ny to Disney with all but 1 RAN.

So many Superchargers with the magic dock have opened up as well.

I know through the plains still isn't the greatest.
NH, parts of ME, and Vermont. Especially in winter with reduced efficiency.

SolartoEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T VIN 269*, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, 1999 Ford F-250
NH, parts of ME, and Vermont. Especially in winter with reduced efficiency.
I would agree that Maine and NH were some of the tougher parts for a 10,000 mile east coast rode trip i did this summer. Range anxiety will diminish greatly with Supercharger access up there.

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Another brand Tesla->J1772 I'd be interested in experiences/reviews: A2Z. It's small like the TeslaTap Mini and much cheaper. $113 right now. Looks like part of that is a cheaper plastic casing, but maybe functionality is just as good as TeslaTap?

Tim-in-CA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
🌲🌲R1S, Lucid Air, T-Bird