Sponsored

Lectron vortex adapter (level 3 supercharger to CCS)

OP
OP
nc10

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Most likely. I don’t think the NACS to CCS adapter will also work with J1772.
Definitely will need both adapters, according to the Lectron FAQ. Maybe someone will come up with an adapter that works with Level 2 and Level 3.

From Lectron:

Will I be able to use the Vortex Plug to access level 2 charging at Tesla Destination Chargers or Mobile Connectors?
No, it won’t. The Vortex Plug is a DC adapter designed exclusively for safe use with Superchargers only. To charge your EV using Level 1 or Level 2 Tesla Chargers, we recommend our Tesla to J1772 adapter. This adapter is compatible with Tesla High Powered Wall Connectors, Destination Chargers of all generations, and Mobile Connectors.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
nc10

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
So once Rivian owners get their free adapter or buy the Lectron one, .....

I'd expect it will be an (overpriced) option to new buyers in Q3. I can't see any chance Rivian providing them for free to current owners.

From Rivian's June 2023 email: " Starting as early as Spring 2024, we’ll offer an NACS adapter that allows you to charge at Tesla charging sites. "

Unfortunately, I expect Rivan will sell the adapter for $350-$400..... (Lectron is taking preorders for their version for $200)

chicagoair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Performance Max Pack
Clubs

I'd expect it will be an (overpriced) option to new buyers in Q3. I can't see any chance Rivian providing them for free to current owners.

From Rivian's June 2023 email: " Starting as early as Spring 2024, we’ll offer an NACS adapter that allows you to charge at Tesla charging sites. "

Unfortunately, I expect Rivan will sell the adapter for $350-$400..... (Lectron is taking preorders for their version for $200)

OP
OP
nc10

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer

webfootdawg

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5, A4
Clubs

Wow....I stand corrected.... Thks

The big mystery is will this all be ready before summer road trips start.

Sponsored

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

I preordered one since I have a Hyundai Ioniq 5 and I haven't seen any communication from Hyundai about supplying one for free. I could be wrong on that as I don't exactly frequent that forum... it's a different group.

OP
OP
nc10

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Got an update from Lectron today about their CCS to NACS adapters. No new specific info on when they will start working... but apparently they have some confidence in their design and timing, to start production. Most companies don't like to build inventory, so I expect they were confident in an imminent market for these and this specific design.

Rivian R1T R1S Lectron vortex adapter (level 3 supercharger to CCS) Screenshot 2024-01-26 114936

Last edited:

JRock

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Barber
Has anyone gotten their Lectron adapter for Tesla superchargers, yet? Are they manufacturing them yet? Is there a shipping date? Lectron hasn’t been the best communicator for those of us who’ve ordered from them.

OP
OP
nc10

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Are they manufacturing them yet? Is there a shipping date?
In the Jan 26 post above Lectron said " We are delighted to announce that the Vortex Plug Supercharger to CCS Adapter has entered mass production. Shipping is set to commence at the end of January 2024. "

Sounds like manufacturing has started.

To the second question, the short answer is I dont' have a shipping date. Longer answer, it will depend on how you answer their questions:

Rivian R1T R1S Lectron vortex adapter (level 3 supercharger to CCS) 1708625053541

Sponsored

Cosmacelf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model X
Occupation
Software
State of charge did a review of the Lectron. I’m happy with my smaller A2Z unit.

OP
OP
nc10

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
Reassuring. He has no problem using this even though its not approved by the vehicle manufacturers yet. Charging speeds were comparable to CCS chargers. Surface temp increased by 20F, which he felt was better than expected (to me, it seems significant, will be interested to see how that compares to the Rivian supplied version).

Gee Bee

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Vw tdi golf -chevy SSR-997 Turbo S
Occupation
Design
I purchased a oem Tesla and case
New

Rivian R1T R1S Lectron vortex adapter (level 3 supercharger to CCS) IMG_4286

Rivian R1T R1S Lectron vortex adapter (level 3 supercharger to CCS) IMG_4287

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
That's a CCS to Tesla adaptor, not a NACS to CCS adaptor. Entirely different thing. Can't use that with a Rivian or with a Tesla supercharger.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Yep, @Gee Bee That's the wrong way. You need "NACS to CCS" to go from Tesla supercharger to Rivian. The one you pictured is CCS to NACS, which allows a Tesla to charge at a CCS station like EA, EVGo, etc.
Sponsored