First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Real estate agent
This is a really helpful list. Thanks OP. Question (for a sad 21" configuration person): there are several 275/50/R21 tires available. I understand that the diameter is 1.08" smaller and the load rating of 113 vs 116 equates to reduction of 221 lbs in load rating each tire AND the speedometer might be off by 3%. But if I'm not bothered by the speedo error is it a terrible idea to consider say the Michelin Defender with a 70K wear warranty vs another set of Pirellis with NO tread wear warrant and a lot more cost?

Has anymore successfully put a set of 275/50r21 on their R1 ?
Sponsored

alpharr

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Occupation
Hedge fund
Are there any work around a yet for the 21's or is it just one choice, the ridiculously overpriced oem's with no militate guarantee and some people getting just 15k miles! I've seen the 21's with great powder oat and wheel caps but I don't wanna be locked in to 1 choice! On the bright side I called discount tire near me and there was a Michelin option available now for the 22 for 319 tire and 70k warrantee

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Has anymore successfully put a set of 275/50r21 on their R1 ?
Not that I'm aware of. I've found an off-road specialty shop near me that said they'd mount them regardless of load index, but I'm not sure they are a trustworthy shop and if it's worth it. All of the 275/50/R21 tires that I've seen have a 113 load index.

Tbirdjeff

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales
I've created a list of every compatible tire according to, and sold by, Discount Tire. Effectively, this eliminates anything with a load index of 113 or lower.

It's split into three sheets—one for each wheel diameter. There are some filter views (Data > Filter views) to filter by type, or you can create your own temporary filter view.

Direct link

Known issues:
  • Some tires have multiple variants (e.g. the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus comes in the OE 116H, but also comes in a 126S). Only one variant is shown.
Incredible. Thank you for all the work and sharing

alpharr

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Occupation
Hedge fund
I second that , amazing work! I called discount tire near me and they were great and knowledgeable. They mentioned the general 22 tire which looked like a great deal to me and was reviewed well by consumer reports and was just ok, they had Michelin defenders for $320 ish (a little less ) with a 70k warrantee

I'm going to get the 22 inch sport wheels based on this tire thread so thanks again. The 21 are the best deal and u can get them powder coated or vinyl for cheap to make them look almost the same as the 22 dark sport, however the one tire choice doesn't work for me. I like big wheels and tires so paying up for the 22 dark makes sense , and there are plenty of replacement's whereu can stay the same in total size or even go up if u do at's . And there is enough choices of all tire types, I thought about the 20 dark long and hard but if I ever went with an all season they would be a lot smaller . Also I feel the suv is more of a sport suv like a Range Rover then a hummer or Tahoe but different people have different opinions

am I thinking about this right? Are the 22 sport dark the way to go ? (I need black wheels to contrast with the el cap, I had a McLaren with this same color scheme and it looked great !

Sponsored

alpharr

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Occupation
Hedge fund
I've created a list of every compatible tire according to, and sold by, Discount Tire. Effectively, this eliminates anything with a load index of 113 or lower.

It's split into three sheets—one for each wheel diameter. There are some filter views (Data > Filter views) to filter by type, or you can create your own temporary filter view.

Direct link

Known issues:
  • Some tires have multiple variants (e.g. the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus comes in the OE 116H, but also comes in a 126S). Only one variant is shown.
Hi! Great work here , someone in another forum posted they used these Goodyear wranglers (had these on my hummer and they were great and lasted forever) , any reason why these aren't on the 22 list ?

Goodyear wrangler steadfast h/t 275 50r22

these are a great option if they are ok

OP
OP

joshuaali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

As mentioned in the original post, this list simply contains all the tires sold, and deemed compatible, by Discount Tire. If you know of a tire that is not in the list, it is likely because it isn't sold by Discount Tire!

alpharr

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Occupation
Hedge fund
As mentioned in the original post, this list simply contains all the tires sold, and deemed compatible, by Discount Tire. If you know of a tire that is not in the list, it is likely because it isn't sold by Discount Tire!
Got it! Thank you! I'm surprised discount tire doesn't sell good year wranglers but that makes sense! Good tires , I loved em on my h3 , wore forever . Anyway great work and thanks op for doing it

Si.LE.R1S

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘23 R1S Launch Edition, ‘20 eTron Chronos Edition
Clubs

And there is enough choices of all tire types, I thought about the 20 dark long and hard but if I ever went with an all season they would be a lot smaller .
Not smaller overall diameter with 20s. Will be larger (or same with non OEM AS)

Stock:
21 + Pirelli AS = 33”
22 + Pirelli AS = 33”
20 + Pirelli AT = 34” (much more sidewall with smaller wheel and larger tire diameter, least efficient)

20 + Pirelli AS = 33” (same as 21 and 22 stock options); others post this combination is as efficient as 21 stock

22 have at least one 34” AT option if you want to go larger, but there are no posts as yet to efficiency hit

Sponsored

OP
OP

joshuaali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Any reason this didn’t make the list?

IMG_3040.png
Their website doesn't show it as compatible. I'm not sure why, since it's in the OE size and exceeds the OE load index. You may want to check with them. If they fix it on their end, I can then regenerate the sheet. It does show as unavailable/out of stock for me though.

Franksmartin

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
Software
Their website doesn't show it as compatible. I'm not sure why, since it's in the OE size and exceeds the OE load index. You may want to check with them. If they fix it on their end, I can then regenerate the sheet. It does show as unavailable/out of stock for me though.
Interesting, even Nokian lists it here: https://www.nokiantires.com/rivian/

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T

Direct link

Known issues:
Impressive work and a very useful reference for navigating a wide range of options (except for those with 21" wheels). It sounds, and looks, like you scripted this to dump the data from the Discount Tire site. If so, any chance you could add tire weight to the script? I'm starting to appreciate that added weight vs. stock is going to be a meaningful decision point when I am ready for new tires.

OP
OP

joshuaali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Impressive work and a very useful reference for navigating a wide range of options (except for those with 21" wheels). It sounds, and looks, like you scripted this to dump the data from the Discount Tire site. If so, any chance you could add tire weight to the script? I'm starting to appreciate that added weight vs. stock is going to be a meaningful decision point when I am ready for new tires.
I didn't include weight for several reasons:
  • Weight isn't included in the search results page, so to retrieve that, the script would have to look at every tire's product page, which would greatly increase the number of requests,
  • The weight of a given tire as reported by Discount Tire, Tire Rack, and the manufacturer's own website differ, which makes me question which one is correct, and
  • I'm not convinced that wheel/tire weight is that big of a factor for efficiency, especially compared to a tire's tread/compound ("rolling resistance").
For the last point, this could probably be its own thread, but despite all the conjecture across car forums, the only semi-scientific test I've seen is Tire Rack's:
TireTotal weight (lbs)Average speed (mph)Fuel economy (mpg)
Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus (Grand Touring)42.538.722.8
Pirelli P Zero Asimmetrico (Max Performance)38.539.021.5
Pirelli P Zero Asimmetrico (Max Performance)48.538.821.1

Comparing the first and second wheel/tire combination, despite a 9.4% weight saving, and 1% difference in speed, fuel economy went down by 5.7%, all because of the tire's rolling resistance.

Comparing the second and third wheel/tire combination, despite a 26% increase in weight, and 1% difference in speed, fuel economy only went down by 1.9%.

tl;dr: weight probably isn't as big of a factor as you think.

foxerson

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Outback, '11 328i, '23 R1T
I didn't include weight for several reasons:
  • Weight isn't included in the search results page, so to retrieve that, the script would have to look at every tire's product page, which would greatly increase the number of requests,
  • The weight of a given tire as reported by Discount Tire, Tire Rack, and the manufacturer's own website differ, which makes me question which one is correct, and
  • I'm not convinced that wheel/tire weight is that big of a factor for efficiency, especially compared to a tire's tread/compound ("rolling resistance").
For the last point, this could probably be its own thread, but despite all the conjecture across car forums, the only semi-scientific test I've seen is Tire Rack's:
TireTotal weight (lbs)Average speed (mph)Fuel economy (mpg)
Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus (Grand Touring)42.538.722.8
Pirelli P Zero Asimmetrico (Max Performance)38.539.021.5
Pirelli P Zero Asimmetrico (Max Performance)48.538.821.1

Comparing the first and second wheel/tire combination, despite a 9.4% weight saving, and 1% difference in speed, fuel economy went down by 5.7%, all because of the tire's rolling resistance.

Comparing the second and third wheel/tire combination, despite a 26% increase in weight, and 1% difference in speed, fuel economy only went down by 1.9%.

tl;dr: weight probably isn't as big of a factor as you think.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I can appreciate the added complexity of scripting a click-through to each detail page.

I had noticed the discrepancies in weight across sources. However, I am still see some value in it as a relative metric.

It would be interesting if Tire Rack would repeat that test with EV’s. I would expect both rolling resistance and weight to have a bigger impact on economy given how much more energy makes it to the wheels vs. an ICE vehicle.
Sponsored