Sponsored

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

I agree with you in that the numbers do seem off, particularly the max air pressure of 44 PSI—isn't the recommended tire pressure 48 PSI?

To keep things simple, however, I'll keep this in sync with what Discount Tire says.

Weight and, more importantly, rolling resistance. The latter is influenced by air pressure, compound, tread pattern, width, and many more factors.

I don't think there's a difinitive answer to your question of what the single, most efficient tire is, and even if there is, it's unlikely to match the OE size.

I can, however, provide general trends:
  • Higher air pressure reduces the contact patch and reduces deformity, resulting in better rolling resistance—for example, the D/E-rated tires can be inflated up to 65/80 PSI.
  • Smoother tread patterns have better rolling resistance (think highway terrain vs all-terrain)
    • This also mean that lower tread depth tends to result in better rolling resistance. New tires will also have worse rolling resistance than worn tires!
  • Stickier compounds will have worse rolling resistance (think high performance tires, winter tires).
    • This also means that low rolling resistance tires will tend to have lower grip.
  • There tends to be an inverse relationship between treadwear and rolling resistance, i.e. high mileage tires tends to have worse rolling resistance.
  • Narrower tires have smaller contact patches, resulting in better rolling resistance.
  • Higher weight means more energy required to start moving.
As you can see, there are a lot of trade-offs with tires, especially if you want the most efficient one.
Great info. My follow-up question would be which tires have people had the best results for range then.

Egen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner
I agree with you in that the numbers do seem off, particularly the max air pressure of 44 PSI—isn't the recommended tire pressure 48 PSI?

To keep things simple, however, I'll keep this in sync with what Discount Tire says.

Weight and, more importantly, rolling resistance. The latter is influenced by air pressure, compound, tread pattern, width, and many more factors.

I don't think there's a difinitive answer to your question of what the single, most efficient tire is, and even if there is, it's unlikely to match the OE size.

I can, however, provide general trends:
  • Higher air pressure reduces the contact patch and reduces deformity, resulting in better rolling resistance—for example, the D/E-rated tires can be inflated up to 65/80 PSI.
  • Smoother tread patterns have better rolling resistance (think highway terrain vs all-terrain)
    • This also mean that lower tread depth tends to result in better rolling resistance. New tires will also have worse rolling resistance than worn tires!
  • Stickier compounds will have worse rolling resistance (think high performance tires, winter tires).
    • This also means that low rolling resistance tires will tend to have lower grip.
  • There tends to be an inverse relationship between treadwear and rolling resistance, i.e. high mileage tires tends to have worse rolling resistance.
  • Narrower tires have smaller contact patches, resulting in better rolling resistance.
  • Higher weight means more energy required to start moving.
As you can see, there are a lot of trade-offs with tires, especially if you want the most efficient one.
For what it's worth, I called Tire Rack and asked if they could weigh one of the Pirelli's in their warehouse. They came back and confirmed 48 lbs and 51 max PSI.

HyperionMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model Y (previously a 3 and X)
I know a lot of tires out there have a LRR (low rolling resistance) rating. Kind of like the 3PM but for compound/weight/other attributes. Can I assume that none of these tires are LRR?

dehmatrix

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE
Has anybody considered this tire? Not sure why it's not listed on the chart.

Vredestein Pinza AT 275/60 R20 - 115H - 3 Peak -

• 275/60R20
  • Service Description
  • Speed Rating: H 130 Mph
  • Load Range: SL Max Load 2679 lbs.
  • Max PSI = 44 psi
  • Tread Depth: 12/32"
  • Tire Weight: 44 lbs.
  • Rim Width Range: 7.5-9.5"
  • Section Width: 11"
  • Tread Width: 8.6"
  • Overall Diameter.:32.9"
These are highly rated on Tire Rack ...............

Rivian R1T R1S List of compatible tires (for each Rivian factory wheel diameter) 1702148191086

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...6HR0PAT&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes#

Sponsored

TRap015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Does this mean any of the tires in the list for 20” works?? I understand that it’s hard to determine the most efficient tires, but should be easy to find one that’s more efficient than the OEM AT tires. Given the weight of the vehicle, just want to make sure the tires won’t pop while driving (at most I probably go at 75mph), don’t see the purpose of finding most efficient tires and lose it from going like 85+

OP
OP

joshuaali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

From the original post:
I've created a list of every compatible tire according to, and sold by, Discount Tire.
Does this mean any of the tires in the list for 20” works?? I understand that it’s hard to determine the most efficient tires, but should be easy to find one that’s more efficient than the OEM AT tires. Given the weight of the vehicle, just want to make sure the tires won’t pop while driving (at most I probably go at 75mph), don’t see the purpose of finding most efficient tires and lose it from going like 85+
The load indexes and speed ratings are displayed in the sheet. As for efficiency, see my previous posts in this thread.

TRap015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
From the original post:

The load indexes and speed ratings are displayed in the sheet. As for efficiency, see my previous posts in this thread.
Sorry, question about the list. Why these 2 have the same names, same diameter, etc etc, but the rating are so different between the two. Which one is Rivian offering? I just need a better load index and speed rating all season tires than OEM, then i know it's safe to swap

Rivian R1T R1S List of compatible tires (for each Rivian factory wheel diameter) 1703033906773

ealberton

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback
Occupation
Solar Sales
Clubs

This is Great thank you. Being able to filter down to what's important to me makes this list invaluable. I now can see the 4 tire options that will be best for me. Thank you thank you thank you

OP
OP

joshuaali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Sorry, question about the list. Why these 2 have the same names, same diameter, etc etc, but the rating are so different between the two. Which one is Rivian offering? I just need a better load index and speed rating all season tires than OEM, then i know it's safe to swap

1703033906773.png
Because Pirelli offers two products in that family and size:

Sponsored

TRap015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Sorry, i can't find the info else where.

These Pirelli looks the same, why they have different rating?? Why Rivian gives a shittier rating version??

Is the bold one the one that Rivian uses? Newbie in tires, it looks the same

rkalbiar

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T , 2024 Rivian R1S
I've created a list of every compatible tire according to, and sold by, Discount Tire. Effectively, this eliminates anything with a load index of 113 or lower.

It's split into three sheets—one for each wheel diameter. There are some filter views (Data > Filter views) to filter by type, or you can create your own temporary filter view.

Direct link

A note on weight:
Thanks so much for this! Do you plan on keeping updated? e.g. The New LT275/60R20 Toyo Open Country A/T III EV

Diggie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

Vredestein Pinza AT 275/60 R20 - 115H - 3 Peak -

• 275/60R20
  • Service Description
  • Speed Rating: H 130 Mph
  • Load Range: SL Max Load 2679 lbs.
  • Max PSI = 44 psi
  • Tread Depth: 12/32"
  • Tire Weight: 44 lbs.
  • Rim Width Range: 7.5-9.5"
  • Section Width: 11"
  • Tread Width: 8.6"
  • Overall Diameter.:32.9"

1702148191086.png

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...6HR0PAT&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes#
I am very curious as well! They look great.
Sponsored