SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

We are still hopeful that there will be some additional tire selections for the 21's in the near future. Opal (our R1T) currently has 4,000 miles on her. We have had Opal for 7 months, so she will not be looking at new tires for another year or more. That should be plenty of time for Michelin and others to come up with a tire that we can use.

Brian
Sponsored

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

In the communities opinion, what is just the hands-down best range all-season option in the 20's. Preferably with the least amount of hassle for camera/speedo calibration?

Great spreadsheet BTW.

OP
OP

joshuaali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I updated the sheet today:
  • New tires, such as the Michelin Defender LTX Platinum, are now included.
  • Tires that Discount Tire were previously showing as incompatible, such as the Nokian Hakkapeliitta LT3, are now included.
  • Tread depth (and actual diameter) is now included.
  • Weight is now included.

Last edited:

Egen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner
I've created a list of every compatible tire according to, and sold by, Discount Tire. Effectively, this eliminates anything with a load index of 113 or lower.

It's split into three sheets—one for each wheel diameter. There are some filter views (Data > Filter views) to filter by type, or you can create your own temporary filter view.

Direct link

A note on weight:
First off, thank you for putting this extensive list together. I’m curious where you got the specs for 20” stock Pirelii’s. Pirelli doesn’t have any specs listed on their website. Tire rack has the specs listed in the screenshot below. The weight and max PSI differ quite a bit from what’s on your chart, so am trying to figure out which is more accurate.

Reason I ask - I’m trying to find another AT tire that is similar in weight/max PSI.
Rivian R1T R1S List of compatible tires (for each Rivian factory wheel diameter) IMG_9081

OP
OP

joshuaali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

First off, thank you for putting this extensive list together. I’m curious where you got the specs for 20” stock Pirelii’s. Pirelli doesn’t have any specs listed on their website. Tire rack has the specs listed in the screenshot below. The weight and max PSI differ quite a bit from what’s on your chart, so am trying to figure out which is more accurate.

Reason I ask - I’m trying to find another AT tire that is similar in weight/max PSI.
IMG_9081.png
All the data is from Discount Tire, and can also be seen on their website.

Sponsored

Whataboykie!

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla Model Y, 2018 Audi SQ5,
Occupation
Tired
Clubs

Well, nice work. You've put a lot of effort into this. Here is a tire that you should also include:
The Michelin Defender LTX Platinum! This is a tire Michelin just released in Nov 2023!
Thus brand new. The 275/60R20 was not yet available so I ordered me a set of 285/60/R20's.
Their overall diameter is 33.4" vs the average 275/60 is 33.1".
I have a 285/60/20 on my truck right now, and they fit perfectly, no rubbing or issues. I just dont like the tire noise from them, these Michelin's supposedly are much quieter.
Going to Costco today to have them installed.
I will post my results later after I've had them for a few days.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

I had 275/50R22 Continental TerrainContact H/T installed last week and so far they're a decent improvement over the OEM Pirelli Scorpion A/S.

We've only managed to lay about 1000 miles on the tires and will give them another 2000 miles before I submit more feedback on this particular application.

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

OMG that file just says to me "you're stupid for getting 21's". Haven't even picked up my R1T but 1 tire seems like someone dropped the ball somewhere. Can a brother get another tire.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Could I ask again, what do we think is the most efficient 20" option to get us back to 21" range or better? Is it simply a combination of less width and weight?

Egen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner
All the data is from Discount Tire, and can also be seen on their website.
Ok I see. Based on my research I think Discount Tire may have the specs off for these 116H tires. The E rated ones (also in 265/65/20) on Tire Rack are showing 57lbs.

Seems like Rivian would have opted for a lighter tire to help with range and 57lbs is in line with a lot of E rates tires from
other brands.

Rivian R1T R1S List of compatible tires (for each Rivian factory wheel diameter) IMG_9101

Sponsored

OP
OP

joshuaali

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Ok I see. Based on my research I think Discount Tire may have the specs off for these 116H tires. The E rated ones (also in 265/65/20) on Tire Rack are showing 57lbs.

Seems like Rivian would have opted for a lighter tire to help with range and 57lbs is in line with a lot of E rates tires from
other brands.

IMG_9101.png
I agree with you in that the numbers do seem off, particularly the max air pressure of 44 PSI—isn't the recommended tire pressure 48 PSI?

To keep things simple, however, I'll keep this in sync with what Discount Tire says.

Could I ask again, what do we think is the most efficient 20" option to get us back to 21" range or better? Is it simply a combination of less width and weight?
Weight and, more importantly, rolling resistance. The latter is influenced by air pressure, compound, tread pattern, width, and many more factors.

I don't think there's a difinitive answer to your question of what the single, most efficient tire is, and even if there is, it's unlikely to match the OE size.

I can, however, provide general trends:
  • Higher air pressure reduces the contact patch and reduces deformity, resulting in better rolling resistance—for example, the D/E-rated tires can be inflated up to 65/80 PSI.
  • Smoother tread patterns have better rolling resistance (think highway terrain vs all-terrain)
    • This also mean that lower tread depth tends to result in better rolling resistance. New tires will also have worse rolling resistance than worn tires!
  • Stickier compounds will have worse rolling resistance (think high performance tires, winter tires).
    • This also means that low rolling resistance tires will tend to have lower grip.
  • There tends to be an inverse relationship between treadwear and rolling resistance, i.e. high mileage tires tends to have worse rolling resistance.
  • Narrower tires have smaller contact patches, resulting in better rolling resistance.
  • Higher weight means more energy required to start moving.
As you can see, there are a lot of trade-offs with tires, especially if you want the most efficient one.

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I had 275/50R22 Continental TerrainContact H/T installed last week and so far they're a decent improvement over the OEM Pirelli Scorpion A/S.

We've only managed to lay about 1000 miles on the tires and will give them another 2000 miles before I submit more feedback on this particular application.
Are you able to do any snow ice testing where you are?

Egen

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 4Runner
I agree with you in that the numbers do seem off, particularly the max air pressure of 44 PSI—isn't the recommended tire pressure 48 PSI?

To keep things simple, however, I'll keep this in sync with what Discount Tire says.

Weight and, more importantly, rolling resistance. The latter is influenced by air pressure, compound, tread pattern, width, and many more factors.

I don't think there's a difinitive answer to your question of what the single, most efficient tire is, and even if there is, it's unlikely to match the OE size.

I can, however, provide general trends:
  • Higher air pressure reduces the contact patch and reduces deformity, resulting in better rolling resistance—for example, the D/E-rated tires can be inflated up to 65/80 PSI.
  • Smoother tread patterns have better rolling resistance (think highway terrain vs all-terrain)
    • This also mean that lower tread depth tends to result in better rolling resistance. New tires will also have worse rolling resistance than worn tires!
  • Stickier compounds will have worse rolling resistance (think high performance tires, winter tires).
    • This also means that low rolling resistance tires will tend to have lower grip.
  • There tends to be an inverse relationship between treadwear and rolling resistance, i.e. high mileage tires tends to have worse rolling resistance.
  • Narrower tires have smaller contact patches, resulting in better rolling resistance.
  • Higher weight means more energy required to start moving.
As you can see, there are a lot of trade-offs with tires, especially if you want the most efficient one.
Thank you for all this detail.

RivianGuyG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Pre-delivery) , Ford Explorer (2013)
Clubs

I've created a list of every compatible tire according to, and sold by, Discount Tire. Effectively, this eliminates anything with a load index of 113 or lower.

It's split into three sheets—one for each wheel diameter. There are some filter views (Data > Filter views) to filter by type, or you can create your own temporary filter view.

Direct link

A note on weight:
welp, with me having the 21in wheels, now I have to watch the gear shop so I can order some 22's when they are available
Sponsored