Sponsored

My R1S SUV suffered hail damage during delivery from Illinois to the Toronto service center

kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

I would pass and ask for another new non-damaged R1S. You have the right to do so.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
meh. I had a car that was on a dealer lot for a bit before I bought it. Windstorm came through, sandblasted the heck out of it. Dealer resprayed bumper, hood, and replaced the windshield.

It was fine for six years.

You'd also be surprised to know how much damage happens to vehicles in transit that is never disclosed. Not uncommon for a car to get crunched by the hydraulic ramps on a transporter, for instance. In ontario, an auto dealer is not obliged to disclose any damage pre delivery under $3000.
https://www.omvic.ca/buying/your-rights/mandatory-disclosures/

Nothing should show up on any history checks, outside of perhaps rivian's own records.

If you're fine waiting for another one and it doesn't happen to get damaged on the way up, take it.

OR. if they're offering you a new one, ask about factory delivery. Drive it home!
You can import a new vehicle bought directly from the manufacturer without going through the usual importation inspections.

Not sure if Rivian is doing this for canadian customers but it would be neat.

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I would double check with Rivian if the damage is linked to the vehicle after you take delivery. I don't think that is true, but it's worth asking. If it does then I would either ask for a discount or get a new one.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Depends on the damage. If PDR can fix it no big deal. If it requires body shop work though your better off rejecting it because the truck will likely be in the shop for the same amount of time it will take you to get a different one.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I would reject it. Most ppl here are obsessed with their Rivians. I'm no exception. Unless there is a very compelling reason to rush and get this one-wait a bit and get a new one. Best way to work with any CS is be very nice. Blaming your spouse for the rejection, and most other things work really well; unless you get caught by said spouse. All the best mate.

Sponsored

ath2001

First Name
Anand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Management Consulting
I’d say just refuse and wait for a new one.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Knowing about it would be in the back of my mind like anyone else, but it’s important to remember that vehicles are damaged in transit way more than we even know. Manufacturers have body shops located at ports and other staging facilities and fix these things before they ever get to the dealer. And they don’t say a word about it to the customer.

NightRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Manufacturing
I would pass and ask for a new vehicle. I had hail damages on two of vehicles in the past. Both repairs showed up on CarFax as "collision repair". They were repaired at two different shops at different time periods, and they were Paintless Dent Repairs with no body work or paint job. Both cars lost value when I traded them in with the car dealers. So I recommend you not to accept that car and ask for a new one.

Robin

First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bicycle
Occupation
Waitress
They promised me they will fix it and ensure it looks good. My question is, will these repairs cause any long-term issues such as rusting?

Or request a new vehicle, which will take another month or so
Ask for a new vehicle

Jiji

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1S
Knowing about it would be in the back of my mind like anyone else, but it’s important to remember that vehicles are damaged in transit way more than we even know. Manufacturers have body shops located at ports and other staging facilities and fix these things before they ever get to the dealer. And they don’t say a word about it to the customer.
It is said what you don’t know doesn’t hurt you.

The corollary to that is what you do know makes you lose sleep.

Sponsored

Kev3in

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Aerospace Test Engineer
Clubs

My R1S SUV suffered hail damage during delivery from Illinois to the Toronto service center. Before I pick it up, what should I do? They told me they will send it to a body shop for repairs. Do you think it's better to repair it and then pick it up
Well, Technically, that's not yours. Rivian had their vehicle damaged. Since this repair may be reported to services like CarFax, it could negatively affect value. There might be a discount in your future.

OP
OP

paranee2

First Name
Parani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Well, Technically, that's not yours. Rivian had their vehicle damaged. Since this repair may be reported to services like CarFax, it could negatively affect value. There might be a discount in your future.
Hi, thank you all. He mentioned that there's another similar configuration, except the inventory has the upgraded '22' Sport Dark tire, whereas mine has the 'under 22' Sport Bright tire. Additionally, it includes underbody protection. However, he is not prepared to negotiate or offer. I told him to speak to the manager. He said he would get back to me today. Another thing that really upset me is that I specifically told him I would come to see it before sending it to the body shop. After they agreed, he called back hours later and informed me that they had already sent it to the body shop

Vik

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S | Model S LR | Model Y Perf
Reject it and then post the VIN here in this thread so a future owner may be aware.

OP
OP

paranee2

First Name
Parani
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your support and feedback. I received a call with some exciting news - guess what? They're willing to upgrade my R1S with the same specifications to the R1S with upgraded features for free! This includes 22" Sport Dark wheels and underbody protection. I am ecstatic about this, despite the slight delay of just one week; it was supposed to be delivered on March 21st, but now it's scheduled for the 28th. Rivian truly is amazing. I've already placed an order for the R2.
Sponsored