Sponsored

Need Advice on getting quad vs. dual

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

Unless you take both out on a track in inclement weather, you may not be able to tell the difference 😉

As Mason put it, the only vehicle better than a dual motor Rivian... Is a quad motor Rivian.
Sponsored

Frisbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The comments by others are certainly informative. My experience has been a little different and that drives my view. I was an early R1T QM Launch Edition purchaser. For the first 3,000 miles the vehicle was a dream. Then things started to go wrong mechanically. I won’t dwell on the lesser fit and finish issues nor electronic problems. The drive line (half shafts/front drive units) were a disaster. Finally after a year and a half, 12,000 miles and multiple unsuccessful repairs I demanded Rivian take the vehicle back and provide me a new one. They ultimately offered a new QM which I refused. Although a less expensive vehicle, I wanted a DM. My reasoning was that the DM was less complex and would have greater reliability in the long run. The DM does not have the rock climb nor rally features. It has two motors each of which connect to a more traditional differential type system. After several months of intensive “discussion “ (during which I could not use the QM vehicle) Rivian finally agreed. I only have around a 1,000 miles on the new R1T but so far it is a vast improvement over the previous one. But only time will tell. The QM was insanely fast. The DM is just really really fast.

WakesUp

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 R1T, ‘89 Landcruiser, ‘16 X5, ‘20 GL450
Occupation
In the field
Clubs

I have a QM R1T and A DM R1S. The only thing I have to add over the previous posts is the DM is noticeably louder in the 25-35 mph range. I have had a mobile tech assure me the DM is louder than the QM. I can also hear more shifting. shifting from the DM Where I hear none from the QM. In the end, QM is a no brainer.

OP
OP

ixtimes

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 R1S, Adventure, Large, Quad, Forrest Green, 21s
Occupation
Education Advocate
Thank you all for the feedback and thoughts. After a lot of discussion with my wife - we have decided to go with the QM. If we really can't tell the difference, and the cost is minor, why not get the one that will help with long term value the most. Also, I can get it now. That was a compelling argument. So, we have ordered a 2024 R1S, Adventure, Large, Quad, Forrest Green, with 21s.

Pick up is currently scheduled for 3/31

Thanks again for all the thoughts.

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Model Y, ‘22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Thank you all for the feedback and thoughts. After a lot of discussion with my wife - we have decided to go with the QM. If we really can't tell the difference, and the cost is minor, why not get the one that will help with long term value the most. Also, I can get it now. That was a compelling argument. So, we have ordered a 2024 R1S, Adventure, Large, Quad, Forrest Green, with 21s.

Congrats! You’re going to love it!

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales

You will have a blast! And you went with best color too!

OP
OP

ixtimes

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 R1S, Adventure, Large, Quad, Forrest Green, 21s
Occupation
Education Advocate
Yeah, I'm pretty excited! Black Mountain and Dark Ash interior. Just really anxious to start driving full time.

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

@ixtimes, tally another vote from random internet guy for Quad Motor.
not yet mentioned is that QM has much more robust silicon carbide inverters on front and rear drive units where as DM has cheaper IGBT inverters that have a shorter lifespan.
If range is the most important factor DM is still great. Most EV's use IGBT's in their drive units only a handful are using silicon carbide. I believe Tesla only uses them in Plaid trims for example.
Is that actually confirmed? And wasn't it speculated that dual max has silicone carbon on both the front and rear based on the EPA City tests?

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Is that actually confirmed? And wasn't it speculated that dual max has silicone carbon on both the front and rear based on the EPA City tests?
I read and watch so much Rivian content I can't recall where I got that info. It is possible the performance upgrade or the max pack includes silicon carbide inverters.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Unless you take both out on a track in inclement weather, you may not be able to tell the difference 😉

As Mason put it, the only vehicle better than a dual motor Rivian... Is a quad motor Rivian.
Well, having tested both extensively, head to head, that statement simply not true.

Range: quad not better.

Slippery surface traction: quad not better.

So, as has been discussed so many times, it depends on your application.

Sponsored

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Well, having tested both extensively, head to head, that statement simply not true.

Not this guy again.....

But seriously, I will follow you down a forum rabbit hole any day.

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

Today, you'll get better efficiency and range with DM, but QM is going to be the superior driving experience in most applications. This is coming from the lead engineer who worked on both systems..

I would actually argue the simplified hardware/software design is the best aspect of DM as that will translate to higher quality at lower cost over time :)

Rividiculous

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 3 series, 2015 Outback

Excellent decision! (Okay, so I would have said that if you had gone with the dual also.)

SciGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T quad, large pack, 20ATs; 2012 Acura TSX

Congrats! I think you made a good choice. I’ve had a quad motor R1T for about a year and recently drove a brand new dual motor max pack R1S for four days (loaner while the T was being repaired for some minor items). The loaner had less than 130 miles on it and I was excited to try it out because I’ve been considering buying one for my wife. Unfortunately after driving it around, to-from work, running errands, and taking a short road trip, I’ve decided it’s not nearly as refined as the quad. The dual motor noise is significantly higher than the quad, with the pitch and volume of the droning sound at about 32 MPH being almost unbearable. Driving feel is also much more jerky, particularly when transitioning from acceleration to regen or vice versa. It could be this one particular vehicle, but my takeaway is that the dual motor needs more refinement, which then also calls reliability into question for me. I’m confident Rivian will make improvements especially as more of these are on the road and they get feedback/data on how they perform and maybe what issues might arise (hopefully I’m wrong and they’re super reliable).
Enjoy your new R1S! I absolutely love my R1T. Best car I’ve ever had.

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
Congrats! I think you made a good choice. I’ve had a quad motor R1T for about a year and recently drove a brand new dual motor max pack R1S for four days (loaner while the T was being repaired for some minor items). The loaner had less than 130 miles on it and I was excited to try it out because I’ve been considering buying one for my wife. Unfortunately after driving it around, to-from work, running errands, and taking a short road trip, I’ve decided it’s not nearly as refined as the quad. The dual motor noise is significantly higher than the quad, with the pitch and volume of the droning sound at about 32 MPH being almost unbearable. Driving feel is also much more jerky, particularly when transitioning from acceleration to regen or vice versa. It could be this one particular vehicle, but my takeaway is that the dual motor needs more refinement, which then also calls reliability into question for me. I’m confident Rivian will make improvements especially as more of these are on the road and they get feedback/data on how they perform and maybe what issues might arise (hopefully I’m wrong and they’re super reliable).
Enjoy your new R1S! I absolutely love my R1T. Best car I’ve ever had.
Your experience with the loaner is interesting. We just traded our quad R1T (’22) for a dual R1S (built 1/25/24). I find the motor noise to be less than our quad (which wasn’t super loud anyway) and haven’t had any issues the acceleration/regen transition. The one big thing I notice is acceleration seems much more gradual - especially @ speeds over 40mph. It isn’t a huge issue but I didn’t expect it to be that different since I tend not to accelerate that aggressively anyway. Perhaps I just got a “good” one.
Sponsored