Sponsored

shap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, R1T
Thank you - it was too good to be true - they do not make such a margin that can justify such a discount IMHO

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

I’m getting new 21” Pirellis through Rivian SC soon and they are not cheap. Made it to 20K miles, though.
Sam's Club also carries the tires and might be cheaper for the replacement. You also get lifetime rotation and balance. My local Sam's has and will work on Rivians and will only use a specific lift due to the weight. I'm personally waiting for the 21" Defender option that is suppose to come out this summer and hope CostCo carries it.

DELaunchR1S

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Clubs

I got a cancellation email, too, and a credit refund on my card, even though the original charge hadn't moved beyond pending yet. Maybe the pending charge won't go through and the credit refund will! Will keep an eye out for suspicious charges, though...

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I’m getting new 21” Pirellis through Rivian SC soon and they are not cheap. Made it to 20K miles, though.
Interesting. Can you say how much the SC charges for the 21” tire? I was considering Discount Tire but wanted to shop around.

Sponsored

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Sam's Club also carries the tires and might be cheaper for the replacement. You also get lifetime rotation and balance. My local Sam's has and will work on Rivians and will only use a specific lift due to the weight. I'm personally waiting for the 21" Defender option that is suppose to come out this summer and hope CostCo carries it.
Any updates on the possible date?

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

For the 4 tires and installation labor it’s just over $1,900.
Thank you! That’s comparable or maybe slightly better than discount tire I think.

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Some efficiency notes on the Michelin Defender LTC M/S2 tires compared to OEM 21" Pirelli AS:

So far, anecdotally, I am seeing about a .2mi/kwh decrease on my normal commute going to the Michelin from OEM Pirelli. This is not a result of scientific testing, and weather may be a factor still. Additionally, I have reason to believe that at least some of the difference is due to my wheel choice AW10 wheels from Atomic, having a slightly more aggressive width.

My commute is 26 miles each way, with about 20 of those miles on the interstate. My house is about 500ft higher than work, so my efficiency going to work is almost always higher than returning. The reason I think the offset is the primary factor is that low speed efficiency seems to be the same or even better, but at 75mph on the interstate it has been lower so far. I attribute this to the very slight changes in aerodynamic profile. The difference is roughly equivalent to what you lose/gain with the aero covers.

I do plan on doing a 100mi out and back on the interstate at some point to test this theory and compare my observed efficiency against what I have recorded from the 21" OEM. If there's someone out there in North SATX who still has OEM 21s and wants to meet to drive the same route together and compare, I'd be happy to work on that.

Again, anecdotal observations, but I've had enough trips to start comparing. I'm pleased with the outcome because the wheels look so much better, ride is as good or better, wet handling seems better, and tread life should be significantly improved. Also the Defenders are likely far more capable off-road. The trade off is worth it, for me.
I"m picking up the Aw09 from atomic wheels next week and decided to get the General grabber HTS 60 instead of the Michilen defender like yours. They both have the same load rating of 116 and max psi at 51 according to the specs. What Psi are you running with yours?

Sponsored

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
For the 4 tires and installation labor it’s just over $1,900.
That's actually a lot better than I thought it would be.

If my tires end up going bald before the Michelin comes out, I'll likely go that route. Much lower chance of them screwing up my truck vs a random tire shop (no Discount Tire in New England).

ElectroBroh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
That's actually a lot better than I thought it would be.

If my tires end up going bald before the Michelin comes out, I'll likely go that route. Much lower chance of them screwing up my truck vs a random tire shop (no Discount Tire in New England).
FWIW Discount Tire was going to cost hundreds more. The tire and install would both be more expensive.

RivnSoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5, ZHP, R1T, E36 M3
Occupation
Tax payer
Dang! That's an incredible deal @$220 a piece!
I just did my tire rotation, I'm at 22500 miles on my originals and can safely get another 5k from them.
So If I buy these OEM Pirellis at @$220, it will cost me about $1000 with install for another 27k miles of wear. Or I wait for the LTXs that would come with 60k wear warranty and cost me about $1600 as currently advertised

shap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 45e, R1T
It is not a deal - you can not order them for $220. Look couple of messages up
Sponsored