New RAN station in Montrose, CO

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Its a good stop to get you to Crested Butte and Telluride for skiing...and Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park.
Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I’m excited for Grand Junction. Steamboat or the vicinity would also be really useful. Please and thank you.

What are people using the Montrose station for? Is it on the way to camping, skiing? Haven’t spent too much time in that area of Colorado.
if we could get one in Grand Junction, one somewhere in an around Silverthorne, and one in steamboat, we would be pretty darn set.

I don’t understand the focus on Denver when I don’t need charging in and around my house I need it in the mountains when I go places!

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

if we could get one in Grand Junction, one somewhere in an around Silverthorne, and one in steamboat, we would be pretty darn set.

I don’t understand the focus on Denver when I don’t need charging in and around my house I need it in the mountains when I go places!
Yes, that would be pretty great.

I suspect the one in Denver (Broomfield) may have been low-hanging fruit somehow and/or a bit of advertising in a high traffic area. Though i suppose it may be good for people coming from the south before they head into the mountains or continue north to Wyoming.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I stopped by this morning; there is a 1000kva transformer installed now but no pedestals or equipment in the fenced in area yet.
Thanks for the Intelligence!

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

What are people using the Montrose station for? Is it on the way to camping, skiing? Haven’t spent too much time in that area of Colorado.
Montrose is sort of the gateway down to the Ouray/Telluride/Silverton area which is kind of Colorado's mecca for off-roading. There are a couple of slow DC chargers in Ouray and Lake City, but anyone coming from Denver will hit Salida and Montrose on the way down there.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Yes, that would be pretty great.

I suspect the one in Denver (Broomfield) may have been low-hanging fruit somehow and/or a bit of advertising in a high traffic area. Though i suppose it may be good for people coming from the south before they head into the mountains or continue north to Wyoming.
As someone who plans to charge 95% of my time at home, where I really need the RANs is out in the mountains - MTB trips to CB and Salida, ski trips, etc are where having access is most valuable. I'd appreciate Aspen area as well and something off 285 (Buena Vista area) but now I'm just being greedy.

Last edited:

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
The map of the original RAN plan has a ton in CO, including Estes Park, Granby, Silverthorne, Glenwood Springs, Fairplay, Ouray, Placerville (those seem awfully close to each other?), Basalt, Cortez, Durango, Pagosa Springs, Del Norte, and a few more along I-25.

Last edited:
Reactions: VSG

uphill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, undisclosed PHEV, undisclosed classic V8
I wouldn't hate RAN chargers in Steamboat or Silverthorne but Walden, with the Northern Dunes, Never Summer Mountains and Upper Poudre Canyon in the area and no other chargers, would be even better. I'd probably use a Silverthorne one all the time but a Walden RAN would enable much more casual camping in that area. Keep it adventurous, you know?

Both Craig and Kremmling have Magic Dock Tesla chargers. Steamboat has ~200kW Chargepoint.

Meeker is a real dead spot too and a nice way to go into the Flat Tops or a lot of BLM OHV areas.

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
I wouldn't hate RAN chargers in Steamboat or Silverthorne but Walden, with the Northern Dunes, Never Summer Mountains and Upper Poudre Canyon in the area and no other chargers, would be even better. I'd probably use a Silverthorne one all the time but a Walden RAN would enable much more casual camping in that area. Keep it adventurous, you know?

Both Craig and Kremmling have Magic Dock Tesla chargers. Steamboat has ~200kW Chargepoint.

Meeker is a real dead spot too and a nice way to go into the Flat Tops or a lot of BLM OHV areas.
There is a good spot at the Silverthorne Starbucks. So far it's been 10x more reliable than the Walmart ea dcfc in frisco.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

That was posted last February before any of the magic dock stations were opened. And now we have Grand Junction!
Sponsored