First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Adventure Quad
Occupation
Lead PDM
Got delivery of my R1T Forest Green/Forest Edge QUAD motors with Large pack on Friday 16,2023. Love the truck how it performs and everything about it!
Today I when to wall-mart for some shopping and we also chose via navigation, the closest to us that had Fast chargers by EA. So I figure let me get my first charge! When we came back about 30 minutes later it was just finish (2 minutes over) so I unplug it (my wife was with me) and got in. As soon as I step on the brake I got a message saying "Performance limited Right Now, Drive with Caution", "Driver+ features unavailable", "Coolant low". So I called in and did a restart of the vehicle but didn't solve the issues. It also I could not use my phone as a key or a card as a key. The only thing that allow me to start the truck was the key fob that thankfully my wife had it with her! Currently my Green Mean Machine has only 252 miles on her. Anyone else experience this issue?

Rivian R1T R1S Performance is limited! "Driver+ features unavailable", "Coolant low" coolant low

Rivian R1T R1S Performance is limited! "Driver+ features unavailable", "Coolant low" Performance limited mode

Rivian R1T R1S Performance is limited! "Driver+ features unavailable", "Coolant low" turtle mode
Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I was planning on trying my first first charge but might hold off until you get your issues squared away. I've only had it charged by the SC and then myself at home using the Rivian wall charger. No issues to report with 173 miles total since picking it up yesterday.

OP
OP
Green Mean Machine

Green Mean Machine

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Adventure Quad
Occupation
Lead PDM
Congrats! And yes before you do your first Fast Charge the truck it supposed to do a precondition to the battery according to my service guy. Mine didn't do that even though I use the Navy to find the Fast Charger and it supposed to do it when I arrive there.

Last edited:

Batman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition; Kia Telluride SX-P
Is pre conditioning only required for fast charging? Wife has a L2, max 6kwh, at work and she just plugs it in. No issues yet

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
Pre-conditioning is necessary to optimize charging rate. For fast charging, it helps extend the duration at which the vehicle can accept the highest charge possible, and raise the level of charge rate across the curve. But it’s not strictly necessary, if the vehicle is in standard operating temperature range - just possibly not optimal.

It will not impact your L2 charging, except in extremely cold conditions. I’ve not experienced these conditions, but others here have.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Green Mean Machine

Green Mean Machine

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Adventure Quad
Occupation
Lead PDM
According to the Service man I spoke, Precondition is require for Fast Chargers (any kind). The truck should let you know. Mine unfortunately didn't...maybe thats why the issues....I guess will find out. :rolleyes:

Uluru60

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian RT1 and Mercedes AMG G63
Occupation
Senior Executive Financial Services
Apologies for my ignorance but what is “Preconditioning”? And how do I perform such function?

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Apologies for my ignorance but what is “Preconditioning”? And how do I perform such function?
Battery preconditioning warms or cools the battery to optimum temperature to get it ready for charging.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

According to the Service man I spoke, Precondition is require for Fast Chargers (any kind). The truck should let you know. Mine unfortunately didn't...maybe thats why the issues....I guess will find out. :rolleyes:
Hmm. Interesting suggestion from the service man. I would love to point at launch these trucks didn’t even have pre-conditioning.

Bottom line if this error is persistent there is something wrong with your truck but it doesn’t have anything to do with whether your truck preconditioned or not. It is automatic, if you routed to the charger and it didn’t precondition then it didn‘t need it.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Got delivery of my R1T Forest Green/Forest Edge QUAD motors with Large pack on Friday 16,2023. Love the truck how it performs and everything about it!
Today I when to wall-mart for some shopping and we also chose via navigation, the closest to us that had Fast chargers by EA. So I figure let me get my first charge! When we came back about 30 minutes later it was just finish (2 minutes over) so I unplug it (my wife was with me) and got in. As soon as I step on the brake I got a message saying "Performance limited Right Now, Drive with Caution", "Driver+ features unavailable", "Coolant low". So I called in and did a restart of the vehicle but didn't solve the issues. It also I could not use my phone as a key or a card as a key. The only thing that allow me to start the truck was the key fob that thankfully my wife had it with her! Currently my Green Mean Machine has only 252 miles on her. Anyone else experience this issue?

coolant low.jpg

Performance limited mode.jpg

turtle mode.jpg
So far I’ve fast-charged twice without preconditioning (not set as a destination in nav) and most recently once with preconditioning. All three went fine with no issues. Yesterday‘s (with preconditioning) was under less than ideal circumstances since we arrived with 16% and the temperature was high-90s. Started the session, went into a mall for a restroom stop and to take a little stroll. Also, it turns out, to buy a couple things we didn’t strictly need but did want.

I don’t think I’ve seen other posts like yours so this may be a rare issue just with your truck: maybe a battery cooling system (leak?) or a bad sensor reporting the coolant low when it isn’t. Please keep us posted with the diagnosis and repair and I hope they get you fixed up quickly.

Needing the fob to start is a little disturbing since we typically take 2 phones and 2 cards with us.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Green Mean Machine

Green Mean Machine

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Adventure Quad
Occupation
Lead PDM
I agree with all your comments (especially that the truck should know if it needs to precondition or not). It is disturbing for this to happen...Especially the coolant part..Is possible for the coolant to leak because the tank somehow it was defective or something else that going on? Or did I get a truck that is a lemon? Well I have until Friday to decide if is worth it:confused:

BTW I had issues with my phone in the morning. IT will not recognize it as key. I had to use my wife Fob key to move the truck. Then finally I figure it out after it gave me the message to delete it and re-register it again. When the charging issue happen my phone and card keys did not work only the fob key work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Green Mean Machine

Green Mean Machine

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T Adventure Quad
Occupation
Lead PDM
SC is closed today. Update: The OP issue is still there even after the truck is sitting in the garage for 24 hours and the battery is cold. I can only use the key fob to get in by unlocking it. Proximity sensors are not working (part of the limited performance issues I'm guessing). My mobile phone and key cards are not working to wake it.
However when I use the key fob and got in and it was ready to go. Drove it around in my neighborhood and it seems drivable to the SC tomorrow. 🤞

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Preconditioning is not required for any type of charging. For fast charging it is optional to reduce charge time.

From experience precondition in hot weather doesn't do much of anything except use more energy. When it's below freezing outside pre conditioning will help the vehicle ramp up and charge faster.

To use preconditioning you navigate to your destination using the NAV (,not directly to the charger). If you do not have enough charge to reach your destination the NAV will add charging stops as necessary and auto precondition the vehicle .

If you do not want to precondition then you can use alternative NAV software like ABRP. What I do is use ABRP and then put the address of the charger into the NAV for directions and estimated charge on arrival. When I do it this way Rivian does not precondition the battery.

It would be nice if Rivian gave us the option (a toggle) to disable auto preconditioning.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I agree with all your comments (especially that the truck should know if it needs to precondition or not). It is disturbing for this to happen...Especially the coolant part..Is possible for the coolant to leak because the tank somehow it was defective or something else that going on? Or did I get a truck that is a lemon? Well I have until Friday to decide if is worth it:confused:

BTW I had issues with my phone in the morning. IT will not recognize it as key. I had to use my wife Fob key to move the truck. Then finally I figure it out after it gave me the message to delete it and re-register it again. When the charging issue happen my phone and card keys did not work only the fob key work.
My phone occasionally doesn't work to start the vehicle. It's always been fixed by restarting bluetooth on my phone. Telling the phone to repair the Rivian devices tends to speed up the recognition afterwards but isn't strictly necessary.
Sponsored