Sponsored

Please help me make final choice on my pre price-hike config

JustPokingAround

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
car
Mods - sorry if this is the wrong subforum...please move if/as appropriate.

SO I pre-ordered eons ago and have been continually pushing back delivery pending the expiry of existing vehicle leases. That happens Spring of '24 so it's getting close and I'd like to finalize my config once and for all.

I have pre price-hike pricing.

CONFIG A, as originally envisioned:
-Quad
-Forest Green
-22" Bright
-OC/Dark Ash
303 Mile EST Range
$78,800

CONFIG B, after they released Dual/Max:
-Dual
-White or LA Silver (i.e. free colors)
-Max Pack
-22" Bright
-OC/Dark Ash
380 Mile EST Range
$83,800

So basically, for $5k more and via sacrificing exterior color choice, I get an extra 77 miles of EPA-estimated range. I know the difference will be smaller IRL.

What's the conventional wisdom around here been on this trade-off?

TIA
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

In my opinion that is quite a bit of extra range (+25%) for the money if the faster acceleration and longer warranty don't mean much to you. I think in standard drive mode you would see that difference but who knows. Also more payload on the dual motor if that matters to you.

I think White looks great too but less sure I would like white or silver with OC interior.

OP
OP

JustPokingAround

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
car
with OC interior.
Yeah for better or worse we have a white floofball who rolls with us so we get light/white interiors whenever possible otherwise you see every single bit of hair and there's tons of it!

I tend to agree that it feels like a lot of extra range for the $, though I am now concerned about it looking too much like a marshmallow white on white or silver on white. Hmm.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yeah for better or worse we have a white floofball who rolls with us so we get light/white interiors whenever possible otherwise you see every single bit of hair and there's tons of it!

I tend to agree that it feels like a lot of extra range for the $, though I am now concerned about it looking too much like a marshmallow white on white or silver on white. Hmm.
I have a big black floofball that leaves hair everywhere so I fully understand.

Just pony up the extra cash and get the color you really want on a DM Max pack. I think FG with OC works great.

Sponsored

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY

OC is more of a really light grey with bluish hue. It’s not really white. I think it looks great with a white exterior. Haven’t seen many LA silvers around.

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
I vote option A for the longer warranty. I personally don’t like LA silver with OC. Just looked weird to me when I saw it.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
If having a 3 second 0-60 isn't important to you, go with option B.

OP
OP

JustPokingAround

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
car
If having a 3 second 0-60 isn't important to you, go with option B.
I stomped on my Model Y a handful of times when I first got it - grins from ear to ear of course. But since then I've been in Chill mode 100% of the time, so, yeah...that .5 seconds doesn't really concern me tbh.

Sponsored

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
Depends on what you do. If you really the range on a regular basis, then B. If you do one road trip a year that requires fast charging, then buy based on other criteria than range.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I stomped on my Model Y a handful of times when I first got it - grins from ear to ear of course. But since then I've been in Chill mode 100% of the time, so, yeah...that .5 seconds doesn't really concern me tbh.
I haven't been in a "regular" DM, but I have ridden in a DM performance and it felt every bit as fast as my QM. I bet the non-performance is plenty quick.

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

Get Dual Performance, not just regular dual and you can save some more money getting 21's.

OP
OP

JustPokingAround

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
car
save some more money getting 21's.
I thought about that but then given the lack of snow tire options, I'd wind up paying for this choice in the form of a completely new set of winter wheels and tires, as opposed to just snow tires.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Option A because colour is more important than miles. Also, you wont feel inadequate without the yellow calipers.
Sponsored