Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

From the 22s? What form has your experience taken? Not doubting, honestly asking. I see the EPA estimate stays the same for 21 and 22.
From the chart it looks like the 21" gets about 11 miles more than 22" for the dual motor. I have been getting an actual 320 range with my large pack, quad motor, with 21" wheels in all-purpose mode. When I placed my order, I asked service tech which wheel/tire combo got best range and he suggested, "the 21" road tires". I would be curious to hear the actual range someone with the 22" wheels is achieving.

AbhorViolence

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 VW GTI, 1998 Toyota Tacoma
Option A. Longer warranty, better performance, more drive modes, much better color. And you'll proudly be driving the original quad motor which will be more rare over time.

But if you don't care much about those things then option B for the extra range isn't a bad choice.

Regardless, I would strongly suggest getting the 20" (forged) wheels over the 22s (and definitely not 21s) and then swapping to 275/60/20 AS tires when needed for a nice range boost (see thread on that).

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
How often do you make a round trip journey that is more than 200 miles and less than 300 miles?

On trips less than 200 miles both options have more than enough. And on trips more than 300 miles you are going to have to stop either way. And once you have to stop the extra range is back to making no difference. On a 12H drive, the extra range would save you like 10 minutes. Which is essentially nothing.

If you do a lot of drives in that 200-300 mile window, then the extra range could be quite valuable, otherwise it makes no difference.

And then how often do you anticipate flooring it? Personally I would really miss the acceleration of the quad motor over the non-performance dual motor. But many people would not.

It is hard to weigh those 2 to factors for someone else. But for me it would be a very easy decision to go with the quad. I would wish I had a bit of extra range 2-3 times a year if I go quad, but with the dual, every day I would regret not having chosen the option with more acceleration.

Sponsored

LiamWhitehouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian
Occupation
Archietect
Personally, I would definitely pay the extra 5k for the extra range or find the best deal with Priceva. Interior design is not the most important thing. Although for people with children and animals it may play a more important role.

Last edited:

shimps1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I would go A. 180 miles 1-way is not a problem for the quad large, and longer drives than that will be rare, like you mentioned.

Longer warranty and better performance and looks should be the deciding factor here. Range benefits would be rarely used with the max.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

unless you do regular long trips and/or serious offroading, id go with option A. you'll get the color you want with the 1 year extra warranty. other performance will be basically the same.

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

A. You’re paying over $80k for a new car, so I’d get the color choices you want. Also, as others mentioned, longer warranty, faster acceleration, more off road prowess, etc. Bank the $5k savings as well.

I probably wouldn’t even consider B even if you travel 300+ miles relatively often. You’d want a break before you drive that many miles anyways, and with NACS charging around the corner, it makes having nearly 400 miles range even less worth it, imo.

Also, you should’ve made a poll. ;)

Sponsored

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20” ATs
Occupation
Retired IT
How often do you make a round trip journey that is more than 200 miles and less than 300 miles?
…
If you do a lot of drives in that 200-300 mile window, then the extra range could be quite valuable, otherwise it makes no difference.
The above thinking was, in a nutshell, the deciding factor for me on the Max. We do weekend trips all year long as often as monthly, up-state to our vacation condo… where we have no access to a home-connected charger (parking lot is across the street). 290-320 miles round trip. And I really wanted the 20” AT tires. So with Max I have a lower probability for range anxiety doing a round trip even with zero charging until we return home to our (cheaper) home charger.
So after 2+ years of waiting, delivery is scheduled for next Saturday, 12/30… on a Red Canyon, Black Mountain, Performance Dual Motor Max Pack with 20” ATs and Underbody Shield. Price-protected and even a free home charger and $2K of electrical install work! Get what works for you and what you WANT.

As the saying goes:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

RivianDad2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Audi R8 V8, Toyota Prius
Do you need that extra range? What are your driving habits? I would never sacrifice color, it is what I see when I go to my R1S everyday.
I don’t really understand this concern. It’s just a one year difference. Also, you can buy a 10
year warranty (I.e six years beyond the Rivian warranty) for about $4,200, so it’s not that valuable a difference.

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
The above thinking was, in a nutshell, the deciding factor for me on the Max. We do weekend trips all year long as often as monthly, up-state to our vacation condo… where we have no access to a home-connected charger (parking lot is across the street). 290-320 miles round trip. And I really wanted the 20” AT tires. So with Max I have a lower probability for range anxiety doing a round trip even with zero charging until we return home to our (cheaper) home charger.
So after 2+ years of waiting, delivery is scheduled for next Saturday, 12/30… on a Red Canyon, Black Mountain, Performance Dual Motor Max Pack with 20” ATs and Underbody Shield. Price-protected and even a free home charger and $2K of electrical install work! Get what works for you and what you WANT.

As the saying goes:
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
I am skeptical that you will be able to make that trip without charging.

PhatDaddy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T RC PDM Max 20” ATs
Occupation
Retired IT
I am skeptical that you will be able to make that trip without charging.
Heh Heh... yeah, me too... a bit. Hence the comment "...with Max I have a lower probability for range anxiety" (not zero). And especially adding the weight of spare tire and underbody shield. But after waiting now for years, I am more than ready to finally pull the trigger and get a chance find out... and hoping for the best. :rolleyes: Of course I'll share the results here - good or bad.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I just came back from a 270 mile round trip LA to SD over Xmas. I had 25% battery 80 miles est of range left. I don't regret the max pack at all. If I drive 65-70mph I get 2.7m/kw and used 35% to get there. Drove another 5% in town. If I drive 75mph I get about 2.3m/kw. Used 35% to get back. I tested that driving back faster when I saw that I had plenty of range but traffic got me for a good section. It would have been a bit tight on the large pack and I would have thought about charging somewhere. In this way the max pack saved me time. On multiple long legs it might not reduce the number of stops.
Sponsored