Sponsored

R1S - One of the tires spin slower than others

rivian2023sep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
R1S - Oct 2023 delivery - North America

I have observed that my rear left wheel spins slower than the other 3.
I have seen the motor running cooler than the rest of them and also the tire pressure being off by around 5 to 8 PSI being and not in sync with the other 3 tires.

I have already confirmed and adjusted the tire pressure just about as close I can get it to the other tires, but that did not resolve the issue.
To me it looks like the camber of the left rear is excessive negative angled. I tried setting at all ride heights and it looks the same to me.

I know the 4 motors are supposed to spin independently and all that, but that variation should be only on turns, uneven surfaces etc. I see this on regular roads as well as highways.

I spoke to a Rivian support and have they are going to have a look at it after scheduling an appointment. The closest service center is about 2 hours from me, so that sucks but I knew it while buying so its on me :)

Has anyone else seen such a issue?
Could it be ignored or is it a major risk?
Sponsored

endress14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC 90 recharge
Occupation
TBD
interested to know how you determined it is spinning slower. if your car is moving in a straight line don’t they all have to be spinning the same rate, assuming the tires are the same size?

edman007

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CY R1S
I have seen the motor running cooler than the rest of them and also the tire pressure being off by around 5 to 8 PSI being and not in sync with the other 3 tires.
I believe the coolant flows from one motor to the next, so they never really match, some motors will always be warmer than others because they receive warmer coolant. And you claim tire pressure being off, but then say you fixed it.

So how did you determine they spin at different speeds? If the tire pressure is different, they are supposed to spin at different speeds. On a Quad motor specifically, the torque is supposed to be the same on each wheel when on road, except in turns or spins. Off Road mode should do closer to constant speed instead of constant torque (and I believe it's adjusted by suspension height).

So under what specific conditions did you observe the wheels to rotate at different speeds, what was the surface, what was the drive mode, and what was the direction of travel? What was the percentage difference in speed?

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

not sure how you can determine wheel is spinning slower based on temp. what is the temp difference? do you have a picture of the left rear wheel?

Last edited:

Engineer

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S QM Adventure, UnderShield and 20" Darks
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

If one wheel was spinning slower than the rest it would be obvious and the tread would be gone in a few miles.

my motors read different temps regularly, how far off are they?

Rivian R1T R1S R1S - One of the tires spin slower than others IMG_1903

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

If one wheel was spinning slower than the rest it would be obvious and the tread would be gone in a few miles.

IMG_1903.jpeg
I've seen worse.
Rivian R1T R1S R1S - One of the tires spin slower than others 1000002627

Engineer

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S QM Adventure, UnderShield and 20" Darks
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I've seen worse.
1000002627.jpg
I have noticed that when the motors are in battery warming mode they can can be pretty far off from eachother.

why is your battery temp not shown?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I have noticed that when the motors are in battery warming mode they can can be pretty far off from eachother.

why is your battery temp not shown?
Battery warming mode when first plugged in after a cold soak. Demonstrates the coolant path. When driving, the difference isn't as dramatic for some reason.

OP
OP

rivian2023sep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
not sure how you can determine wheel is spinning slower based on temp. what is the temp difference? do you have a picture of the left rear wheel?
So in general, if you cold (starting tire PSI) of all tires are same, and when you drive for a few miles the tires are going to heat up and increase the PSI. If all tires are loaded/spinning properly they should be incrementing/decrementing in the same range, maybe 2/3 PSI's here and there is the acceptable tolerance. In my case there is a diff of about 6 to 8 PSI's and the all 3 motors run at exact same temp (2-3 degree variance) but the one in question in about 8 to 9 degree cooler.

Not a scientific method, as one can argue the TPMS is acting up and so is the motor temp sensor. Thus the question to see if this is been reported in the wild.

Also I have just 1200miles on it.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So in general, if you cold (starting tire PSI) of all tires are same, and when you drive for a few miles the tires are going to heat up and increase the PSI. If all tires are loaded/spinning properly they should be incrementing/decrementing in the same range, maybe 2/3 PSI's here and there is the acceptable tolerance. In my case there is a diff of about 6 to 8 PSI's and the all 3 motors run at exact same temp (2-3 degree variance) but the one in question in about 8 to 9 degree cooler.

Not a scientific method, as one can argue the TPMS is acting up and so is the motor temp sensor. Thus the question to see if this is been reported in the wild.

Are you checking tire temp with a TPMS tool as well?

OP
OP

rivian2023sep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S

IMG_1903.jpeg
In my case there is a diff of about 6 to 8 PSI's and the all 3 motors run at exact same temp (2-3 degree variance) but the one in question in about 8 to 9 degree cooler.

Also look at your tire PSI reading, they are in sync. my left rear is lower all the time no matter its a 5 mile drive or 50.
I will take some pics later and post.

Polar

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C40, LE CY R1S
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Yes I did, that was the first test case thinking that the TPMS might be acting up.
Rotate your tires - see if the “affected” bit is the location OR the tire/wheel combo.
This is the best way to validate it’s a motor/hub vs TPMS sensor issue.

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T

Remove all air and fill with the same source. Nitrogen is better. I have a slow leak in 3 tires(thanks to Discount Tire Redmond who said it was within spec) and I use a bicycle pump to add 1-2 psi. Over the years, the one tire has stable pressure and other three fluctuate wildly with temperature. Having water vapor in tires does this. I plan to deflate all tires and use my compressor to air back all tires.

Or rotate to confirm as the previous post suggest.
Sponsored