Sponsored

Please help me make final choice on my pre price-hike config

wrightwood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar, R1T
Dual Max 20 - cause that's what I got. :)

But seriously, I'm hoping the 20 AT will mean I don't have to change the tires for snow (or anything). And from what I've read, the ride is nicer on the 20s.

Color is subjective. If black was free, I would have chosen that, but I personally don't like white or silver.
Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Depends on what is most important to you. I would pay the extra 5k for max but not the 10k post price hike upcharge.

If you want all our performance and 25,000 extra miles warranty on battery and electric drive the quad is the way to go. The quad in conserve can go up to 347 miles estimated.

If you want slightly better efficiency and slightly larger battery (11 kwh usable) then max pack is the way to go.

Either config is a really nice truck for sure. I'm partial to the quad because I like control at all four wheels and maximum performance.

mzdds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S, 2023 R1S
Occupation
Dentist
B. I have a Launch Green and my daughter and son in law picked up a white dual motor. I had a Forest Green R1T rental and did not care for the color. The white looks great.

BeanEW

First Name
Eugene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Retired
If I select Config. A, I would probably wonder... hmm, what if I selected Option B with the extra miles.

If I select Config B, I would probably never thought about Config A again.

Btw, I have a Forest Green quad R1S. I love the color but it is not the most important thing for my selection, and I don't know the drive differences between dual and quad. However, I do like my quad on snow and icy roads.

gordonrands

First Name
Gordon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Prius Plug-in hybrid, 1997 Dodge Dakota
Occupation
university professor
Clubs

Can you afford to get it now before the end of the year? If so, you might still be able to get the promotion offer of a free wall charger and charger installation credit of up to $2000 if you get one from the R1 Shop.

That's what I decided to do: found one with everything I wanted except Reinforced Underbody Shield so I pounced on it. I live two hours from the factory so I'll be picking up my Red Canyon Dual Max OC with 21s" in one week; 4 years and 8 months after reserving one. I decided that for $7K extra the Max was pricey but probably worth it. Of course, I have a bucket list trip to Alaska planned.

Also, if you signed the pre-March 22 commitment to purchase, you aren't subject to the $80 K limit in order to get the full $7500 tax credit.

Sponsored

Ingen

First Name
L.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S QM-Large, 2018 Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Filmmaker
Clubs

I'm a little surprised at how many people on this particular thread chose Dual Max over Quad Large. In other parts of this forum, seemed like most people were down on the Max Pack because it wasn't significantly larger than the large pack AND that there's speculation that the new battery chemistry might degrade faster. That last part is pure speculation though.

I was debating between similar configs -- ended up going Quad Large for a variety of reasons (price, warranty, driving dynamics, etc.). BUT as @BeanEW said, I do wonder if I chose the right one every now and again... BUT I probably would be doing that with either config.

Also I went with LA Silver and Ocean Coast/Dark Ash and love the look of it, but that's all personal taste.

OP
OP

JustPokingAround

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
car
Thanks all. Like most humans most of our drives are short(ish) or medium so the range difference doesn't matter. We do however do a +/- 180 mile (each way) drive to a vacation house a bunch of times/year. We have a charger at each end however, so again the extra range wouldn't be a factor there.

OTOT, we have kids going to college in the next few years and there's a non-zero chance that "far" is in the cards. Not cross-country, but think say New England to the Midwest. We might make that drive now and again, especially to move them in at the start of the year.

We did sign the purchase agreement thing, so we'll get the credit.

More pondering...

runningdenver

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S QM
Occupation
Tech
Once the supercharger network is available, that makes the extra cost for the max pack seem even greater for the limited additional KWH it buys. Many here have had teslas, and know that range anxiety isn't 'a thing' when you can use superchargers.

OP
OP

JustPokingAround

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
car
Yup I am coming from a Model Y so that's my take too. I'd love more firm dates for the network opening up and adapters being sold, but I may have to hit Go before that.

Sponsored

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Mods - sorry if this is the wrong subforum...please move if/as appropriate.

SO I pre-ordered eons ago and have been continually pushing back delivery pending the expiry of existing vehicle leases. That happens Spring of '24 so it's getting close and I'd like to finalize my config once and for all.

I have pre price-hike pricing.

CONFIG A, as originally envisioned:
-Quad
-Forest Green
-22" Bright
-OC/Dark Ash
303 Mile EST Range
$78,800

CONFIG B, after they released Dual/Max:
-Dual
-White or LA Silver (i.e. free colors)
-Max Pack
-22" Bright
-OC/Dark Ash
380 Mile EST Range
$83,800

So basically, for $5k more and via sacrificing exterior color choice, I get an extra 77 miles of EPA-estimated range. I know the difference will be smaller IRL.

What's the conventional wisdom around here been on this trade-off?

TIA
21" road tires will increase your range about 20 miles in my experience. I have Canyon Red with OC interior and love it. Think the OC interior looks best with red and blue. Once we get access to supercharges the additional range for max pack will probably be less of a factor.

OP
OP

JustPokingAround

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
car
21" road tires will increase your range about 20 miles in my experience.
From the 22s? What form has your experience taken? Not doubting, honestly asking. I see the EPA estimate stays the same for 21 and 22.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

From the 22s? What form has your experience taken? Not doubting, honestly asking. I see the EPA estimate stays the same for 21 and 22.
Not sure where you read that.

Rivian R1T R1S Please help me make final choice on my pre price-hike config 1702400234613

OP
OP

JustPokingAround

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
car
Doh! You're right. Realized that I clicked from one 22 to the other rather than to the 21. Hmmm. So yeah maybe I take the "free" 21s, spend that $ for now on the exterior color I want, and get the Dual Performance/Max, then buy a snow tire/wheel set...

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I'd go with DM Max in a second. If you regret it and decide you want a quad I'll trade you mine 😜
Sponsored