First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Sr. SW Engineer Bioinformatics
I'm living in a townhome now where the main living area is directly above the garage. I do have my phone setup as a key but this issue still happens when bluetooth is turned off. I'll be on my laptop on the couch and I can hear the car periodically lock and unlock. At first I thought maybe the keys were just a little too close since I'm right above where the car is, but the issue still seems to be happening even when I move them further away to a room that isn't directly over the garage. Is there anything I can do to stop this?
Sponsored

OP
OP

adaykin

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Did you turn proximity unlocking to off at home? That should do the trick.
I don't have it turned off at home. Was hoping I could keep it turned on and just not trigger it when the key is a certain distance away. But if there's no other solution I'd probably just turn if off at home.

Joe Hoffman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S & 2013 CMAX Energi Plugin
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I’ve turned off proximity locking at home but mine still locks/unlocks when I go in/out of my garage. Rivian can’t figure out how to fix it. They’ve tried rebooting, resetting. I think the root of the problem is it doesn’t recognize this as my home address and I can’t figure out how to get it to recognize this address as my home, i recently moved.

anyone running into this problem and solve it?

Sponsored

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I’ve turned off proximity locking at home but mine still locks/unlocks when I go in/out of my garage. Rivian can’t figure out how to fix it. They’ve tried rebooting, resetting. I think the root of the problem is it doesn’t recognize this as my home address and I can’t figure out how to get it to recognize this address as my home, i recently moved.

anyone running into this problem and solve it?
Did you enter your current address into the favorites when you press the search button on the nav screen? I also think you can edit your home address from there.

s0ysauce

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Since you are that close to where it parks, my only suggestion to you is to have it only lock when you are at home. You're also allowing the vehicle to get into a deeper state of sleep so you don't drain the battery as much.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

This is unfortunately "normal" since the update maybe 6 months ago tried to "fix" proximity locking responsiveness. Now it's too sensitive and keeps waking/sleeping in a loop and locking/unlocking, which in addition to potentially being a security risk if parked outside it also wastes ton of energy. The prox lock off at home isn't a fix because a) I don't want to have to remember to lock/unlock manually one place and not others and b) it happens all the time at my office too. Seriously one of the most annoying "features" of my truck and I really wish they'd used Bluetooth Ultra Wide Band (UWB) so they'd have a much better idea of how close to the vehicle the phone was. If I had to guess, R1 refresh and R2/R3 will include UWB and have a much better proximity experience.

Joe Hoffman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S & 2013 CMAX Energi Plugin
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Did you enter your current address into the favorites when you press the search button on the nav screen? I also think you can edit your home address from there.
That fixed it. Thanks ngkgb.
Rivian support kept playing with my address in their system. But it’s simply the definition of Home in navigation favorites.

Ngkgb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
That fixed it. Thanks ngkgb.
Rivian support kept playing with my address in their system. But it’s simply the definition of Home in navigation favorites.
Glad it’s fixed. I’m sure it was very annoying.

Sponsored

OP
OP

adaykin

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
This is what the disable proximity locking at home setting was created for.
Yeah but it doesn't make any sense at all for it to be triggered this far away. If you're parked at a restaurant and go into eat, you wouldn't want your car to start unlocking. They should give the consumer a way to tweak it so it only gets triggered at distances less than x feet.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Yeah but it doesn't make any sense at all for it to be triggered this far away. If you're parked at a restaurant and go into eat, you wouldn't want your car to start unlocking. They should give the consumer a way to tweak it so it only gets triggered at distances less than x feet.
I guess I'm a bit confused here. You have an issue (truck unlocks/locks too much at home), for which the truck has an exact setting to solve the problem you're having. Why over complicate things?

My truck has never unlocked itself unexpectedly when I've parked at a restaurant, or the gym, or anytime I'm out and about. Has yours? If yes, then I think a service visit should be requested. I've not heard of this happening for any other owners.

Most people complain that you have to be too close before it unlocks. PAAK is a fickle monster and I think it operates pretty well. I'm not an engineer, but I'd guess there's way too many variances in phones and OS's to be able to be exact enough to set a behavior to occur at X feet away.

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I've had mine do this at my office and I 'm a couple floors up. Someone comes in and says the lights are all on my car. Now you've heard, it's an issue. It's a terrible system that constantly wakes the car.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I guess I'm a bit confused here. You have an issue (truck unlocks/locks too much at home), for which the truck has an exact setting to solve the problem you're having. Why over complicate things?

My truck has never unlocked itself unexpectedly when I've parked at a restaurant, or the gym, or anytime I'm out and about. Has yours? If yes, then I think a service visit should be requested. I've not heard of this happening for any other owners.

Most people complain that you have to be too close before it unlocks. PAAK is a fickle monster and I think it operates pretty well. I'm not an engineer, but I'd guess there's way too many variances in phones and OS's to be able to be exact enough to set a behavior to occur at X feet away.
Mine sure as hell stays awake often at work and at restaurants...provable through ElectraFi data. Prior to the proximity "fix" update it didn't do that. As for a set distance...if they'd used UWB they could've been very precise with it, but they didn't spec the hardware.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Mine sure as hell stays awake often at work and at restaurants...provable through ElectraFi data. Prior to the proximity "fix" update it didn't do that. As for a set distance...if they'd used UWB they could've been very precise with it, but they didn't spec the hardware.
Awake or unlocked?

OPs concern is constant locking/unlocking.
Sponsored