First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
But do they add the additionally aggressive "one time" to their verbiage? That is a particularly aggressive wording to me.
I might be wrong (because neither of our Tesla's have ever had to go in for service) but I've never seen "one time" on their service invoices when people have posted images.

In this case where the 12V batts were clearly damaged by an OTA update from Rivian there is absolutely no need for the gratuitous and aggressive "one time" verbiage. It's almost like adding "or else" to the conversation....
Sponsored

OP
OP

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T RB/OC/20
Add me to the list! Bricked last night and had to get it towed. SC called this morning and believe its the 12v battery. Same symptoms as already stated here.

Just updated to the lates software in the morning. Coincidence!?
Unlikely, update process seems to drain the batteries. Truck drove fine post for me but then died overnight.
I am not sure if plugging in the truck helps as tow guy told me they had picked one up that was plugged in and also bricked.
Good luck with getting it fixed quickly, SCs must have plenty of practice on how to fix by now :eek:

OP
OP

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T RB/OC/20
This whole dead 12V battery issue could have been and can be avoided if Rivian simply used or going forward switches to 12V Li-Ion batts for it's primary batteries. Automotive 12V Li-Ion batts have a built-in BMS with a software and hardware disconnect once total voltage drops below a certain level, but that level is way above the level that damage the cells/battery so all you need to do is recharge it and you're golden again with no need to replace the battery because it was discharged. It's called "battery protection".. maybe Rivian can look it up on Youtube :rolleyes:
Li-Ion have better management systems but are not faultless ie they can die too and are very expensive to replace so key to maintain them with a tender if not driven often.
Rivian has an issue whereas 12v systems seem to drain quickly during the update process but no efficient way to maintain/charge them

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I would think it would.. as it at least "should" help keep the 12V batts charged.

Seeing all the issues w/the last update.. I'm going to charge to 70% (my usual limit) and keep the truck plugged in then apply the next update.
You might also consider rolling down a window so you have access. Just in case.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Do we know are the 12V batteries sealed "maintenance free" or the type that need distilled water added?
I think it's noteworthy that as long as we as users are treating the 12v batteries as intended it's not our duty to prove the failure mechanism. They should last a minimum of 36 months and if they don't Rivian should be replacing them and go after the vendor if they don't meet specifications (warranty).

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Do we know are the 12V batteries sealed "maintenance free" or the type that need distilled water added?
Yes. They are sealed, spill-proof, and maintenance-free AGM batteries.

TAZ

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Add me to the list! Bricked last night and had to get it towed. SC called this morning and believe its the 12v battery. Same symptoms as already stated here.

Just updated to the lates software in the morning. Coincidence!?
I'll ask additional questions when I pick it up later today but new batteries fixed the issue.

Rivian R1T R1S R1T 12v batteries dead Screenshot 2023-03-17 at 9.50.32 AM

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Li-Ion have better management systems but are not faultless ie they can die too and are very expensive to replace so key to maintain them with a tender if not driven often.
Rivian has an issue whereas 12v systems seem to drain quickly during the update process but no efficient way to maintain/charge them
My point is... and I have built quite a few home made batteries from cells, Lithium batteries always have a protection circuit built in.. you can not make a working Lithium battery without a BMS circuit. Part of that circuit is a "low voltage cutoff" feature that does exactly what it's title says: it cuts off the connection to the battery to prevent any further discharge. That feature literally protects the battery from low voltage damage.
Can a 12V Lithium automotive battery go dead? Not really, it can dip below the "low voltage cutoff" value to protect itself form damage so it will read 0 volts, but a recharge will bring it back, and it will be perfectly healthy after that in contrast to a lead-acid battery that has no low voltage cutoff protection and will happily let you drain it down to 0.0 volts which will permanently damage the battery (which is what is happening in Rivian vehicles).

PappaBolt

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Corvette, 911
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

The more I read about this it seems likely that during a sleep cycle, buggy software draws down the 12v batteries, where there isn’t a protection mechanism to prevent a full drain. At that point the 12v’s are beyond salvageable. What’s lacking (to consumers) is transparency on what the root cause is.

Now, can someone explain why there are 2 12v’s and how they are connected?

cashen

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'18 Giulia '15 4Runner '13 Acura MDX '72 Chevy K20
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I'm another data point - happened to me last week as well. I'm also an 11,xxx VIN, my delivery was early September. Truck had never been to service prior to this, and is at about 12k miles. Came out of work last Monday and all seemed good, opened the gear tunnel, threw my bag in then hopped in and it wouldn't shift to D. Tried a couple reboots and then started getting some dask warning lights so I called service line. Had me try a sleep cycle but after that it was bricked. Called service back and had to get towed from my office parking lot, they actually came and got it sometime in the middle of the night which made me nervous but worked out OK. Picked it up a few days later, they had replaced the 12V batteries and did a low voltage system check. When I asked if it was anything that I did they said no but I also didn't get an answer on what might have caused it. Few takeaways:
  • when it's dead it's dead, can't lock or more importantly unlock the doors, can't open the tailgate, can't even access the center console. Luckily my doors were open and I didn't have anything important in the console.
  • Service was OK - I'm in MA so it was the Chelsea service center. A little unclear where to go when I arrived. I had to ask to get the seatbelt recall done. I'm used to dealers always checking against active service bulletins. Didn't wash it, guess it isn't a big deal but would be nice for an vehicle of this price. Also, wish I remembered to ask but they didn't calibrate my seat which has been annoying since a few updates ago. I did have to call them to find out that it was done which was odd.
  • Still thoroughly love this truck, after almost 7 months with a vehicle from a brand new manufacturer I would have expected a few more things like this to happen.
  • I do hope this 12V issue gets resolved because now I do have a bit more nervousness about getting stranded.

Sponsored

kcmwv

First Name
Kevyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2023 R1S
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Add me to the list. R1T 09*** VIN. Got home for a bit this afternoon, went out an hour later, and couldn’t unlock the truck. Called service, and they plan to pick it up next Tuesday! Told them that was unacceptable, but not sure it will change anything.

I live 3 hours away from the nearest service center. I was one of the “lucky” ones who was promised concierge service for all service visits when I was considering going through with the purchase, only to have the rug pulled a month or so into ownership. Then service person told me today I’d have to come get the truck or pay for a tow back after repairs, even if it is deemed warranty. Needless to say, I wasn’t a happy camper. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.

Aside from my rant, just wanted to say add another to the list. Seems like something significant is happening with this rash of 12V failures….

Pdm1230

First Name
Paarin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Director
I'm guessing the cost of towing is probably getting too out of hand to do towing both ways. They don't seem to have an issue paying for Ubers all the way. But it's not a big deal for me since Ubers have no issue driving me from north central NJ to Brooklyn. I can see people having difficulty getting a ride 3 hours in other areas of the country.

ctpolo1

First Name
CT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
+1 here. Truck dead in AM despite 60% charge. Took them a week to get out and service. They replaced the 12V batteries. Mobile Tech said it’s almost all of his calls right now. Told him I was going to airport the next day and I was nervous it would happen again. He was not confident for me. Fully charged truck that night, parked it at airport the next day only to come back to the truck dead again 48 hours later. Truck now at service center awaiting word.

They definitely have a problem and they don’t know what it is. Not confidence inspiring. I love everything about the truck and have an R1s on order with June/Sep window. Going forward I definitely will not be loading updates immediately when released which is a 180 for me.

OP
OP

cpd1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T RB/OC/20
+1 here. Truck dead in AM despite 60% charge. Took them a week to get out and service. They replaced the 12V batteries. Mobile Tech said it’s almost all of his calls right now. Told him I was going to airport the next day and I was nervous it would happen again. He was not confident for me. Fully charged truck that night, parked it at airport the next day only to come back to the truck dead again 48 hours later. Truck now at service center awaiting word.

They definitely have a problem and they don’t know what it is. Not confidence inspiring. I love everything about the truck and have an R1s on order with June/Sep window. Going forward I definitely will not be loading updates immediately when released which is a 180 for me.
Ouch, died a 2nd time post 12v batteries replacement? That blows.
I also have a bit of a lingering concern each time I park the truck…
Hopefully they are investigating and figuring out a solution as the sample is now rather large it seems

JordanClarkson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

This is absolutely a recall situation and it's concerning that Rivian hasn't said or done anything about this issue yet (I think?). My R1T bricked this week and is currently at the service center - Rivian support tech I spoke to had no idea what was wrong and sent a tow truck immediately.
I've casually followed the forums & subreddits but wasn't aware of the 12V stuff until now. Love love love the truck and willing to give them an early adopter second chance, but I simply can't own a vehicle that may just be a 8,000 lb paperweight at any moment..
Sponsored