Sponsored

R2 Photo Gallery - deep dive analysis

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

ok, i know, its a prototype and know nothing is set in stone. but still fun to dive in. here are a few things i noticed looking at the R2 photo gallery.

Ok not really part of the photo gallery but very interested in the 4695 battery. Never heard of that size before. And it’s going to be a structural pack - nice work Rivian.

also, no mention of colors other than showing the R3x with a new green exterior color and the R2 with a new blue interior theme. oh, i almost forgot the awesome tan/cork interior of the R3x - very fun and retro looking,

doesnt seem to have a door handle. might be power actuated to release with a button. that is nice.
"PRNDL" appears to be a dial now. much simpler than the current setup on the R1 where people get confused how to put it in neutral and accidentally hit the button to park
View attachment 87705

so there is a storage dock and it shows the drawer RJ mentioned they were working on months ago. might be compatible with the camp speaker. and i wonder how they improved the wireless charger. looks similar in this shot.

View attachment 87709

eyeballing it, the main screen looks to be slightly smaller than in the R1. what do you think?
View attachment 87711

anyone have guesses as to why they moved the port to the rear passenger side?
View attachment 87707
Sponsored

Last edited:

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

- Dash trim reminds me of the original Ocean Coast that never made it.
- I think charge port in passenger rear is for RAN compatibility - R1‘s drive in forward, R2 and R3’s back in.
- definitely looks like Model 3 like opening mechanism. Interestingly I just rewatched the video and RJ was struggling to open the doors from the exterior.

ElGuapo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S - April 2021 preorder
Where are the vents in the front? The ones in the R1 up front middle are where one of the gloveboxes now is. Looks like they’re using Tesla-style hidden vents in R2.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
ok, i know, its a prototype and know nothing is set in stone. but still fun to dive in. here are a few things i noticed looking at the R2 photo gallery.

also, no mention of colors other than showing the R3x with a new green exterior color and the R2 with a new blue interior theme. oh, i almost forgot the awesome tan/cork interior of the Rx3 - very fun and retro looking,

doesnt seem to have a door handle. might be power actuated to release with a button. that is nice.
"PRNDL" appears to be a dial now. much simpler than the current setup on the R1 where people get confused how to put it in neutral and accidentally hit the button to park
View attachment 87705

so there is a storage dock and it shows the drawer RJ mentioned they were working on months ago. might be compatible with the camp speaker. and i wonder how they improved the wireless charger. looks similar in this shot.

View attachment 87709

eyeballing it, the main screen looks to be slightly smaller than in the R1. what do you think?
View attachment 87711

View attachment 87707
I’d be surprised if at least in the prototypes these are not the same screens as the R1 has. Seems like a no brained to save development time and money to use them.

OP
OP
dleewla

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Where are the vents in the front? The ones in the R1 up front middle are where one of the gloveboxes now is. Looks like they’re using Tesla-style hidden vents in R2.
i think youre right. seems like its these.
Rivian R1T R1S R2 Photo Gallery - deep dive analysis 1709867992754

Rivian R1T R1S R2 Photo Gallery - deep dive analysis 1709868029453

Rivian R1T R1S R2 Photo Gallery - deep dive analysis 1709868064807

Sponsored

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
No HUD - fail.

needs actual buttons for AC/heat, along with hand moveable vents.

md2023

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Clubs

Overall, really like it and have a reservation.
Is the back seat a strict two-seater? Or can the armrest collapse? Not a huge issue, but it is a concern for families. I am part of a family of four and often need a fifth seat (for a kid's friend, etc.).

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
No HUD - fail.

needs actual buttons for AC/heat, along with hand moveable vents.
I do not understand the obsession with HUDs especially when the vehicle has a dash screen (I can sort of see some reason for wanting one in a model 3/y).

Re the AC, when was the last time you touched the screen to set the AC? I have literally never done it in either of my Rivians. "Alexa, set temperature to 74 degrees ..." or "turn on defrost" or "set fan to high" or whatever. The vents directions are set and forget to me but if you are someone who like to fiddle with airflow direction I suppose manual vents are preferred.

Everyone has personal design preferences, but I think calling something a "fail" because it does not have your favorite hobby horse feature is a bit strong. LOL

RivianRiverRat

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Tesla 3, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Civil Engineer

Ok not really part of the photo gallery but very interested in the 4695 battery. Never heard of that size before. And it’s going to be a structural pack - nice work Rivian.

also, no mention of colors other than showing the R3x with a new green exterior color and the R2 with a new blue interior theme. oh, i almost forgot the awesome tan/cork interior of the R3x - very fun and retro looking,

View attachment 87705

View attachment 87709

View attachment 87711

View attachment 87707
Along with door handle button there is door lock/unlock
Wondering about rear wiper - not seeing it on R2 but it’s shown on the R3

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Center screen is definitely not as high as R1. And R2 probably has a digital rearview with a camera near that red center light. With rear window going down, there can be no wiper, as the rear top spoiler doesn't extend far enough to house a wiper like a 4Runner.

Sponsored

Milermore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I may be old-fashioned, but it would make me feel better if there is also a physical door release. If the power goes out, how would you open the door? I assume that's why Tesla has both.

theyoungone

First Name
Isaiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Hybrid
Occupation
Engineer
Moving the charging port was a cost cutting measure. RJ said that since the R1s are quad motor they have to have HV cable at the front to charge the battery. But since R2 is RWD the motor is at the back. In order to keep charge port at the front they'd have to run high voltage cable all the way to the front and that would've cost more money.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
No rear wiper on the R2 does bug me a bit. I know the airflow through the rear spoiler will help clear the window some, but still, my OCD kicks in here.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I do not understand the obsession with HUDs especially when the vehicle has a dash screen (I can sort of see some reason for wanting one in a model 3/y).
I love HUDs, especially when they are well done and you can get all the relevant information needed without looking elsewhere. But not having one isn't a deal breaker for me. I feel the same way about CarPlay/AA. Love it, use it all the time, but I wouldn't choose not to buy a vehicle that I otherwise love it if didn't have it available. I'd surely miss not having it though.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Center screen is definitely not as high as R1. And R2 probably has a digital rearview with a camera near that red center light. With rear window going down, there can be no wiper, as the rear top spoiler doesn't extend far enough to house a wiper like a 4Runner.
For years, the 4Runner had a bottom mounted wiper and the window still rolled down. It was mounted just under the glass.
Sponsored