R2/R3 vs. BMW Neue Klasse X

Rividiculous

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 3 series, 2015 Outback
How do you all view BMW’s “Vision Neue Klasse X” in comparison to the upcoming R2 and R3 models?

I assume it won’t have the off-road chops of the Rivians but it might be a good option for mall crawlers (like me, except not like me because I’m such a Rivian-head). Admittedly, details are vague and it looks a lot more “concept” than either the R2 or R3.

Should RJ be worried or should just Elon be worried?

Some info here:
https://www.autoblog.com/2024/03/21/bmw-vision-neue-klasse-x-reveal-details/
Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I prefer the R2 and R3 dash / interior

Rivian R1T R1S R2/R3 vs. BMW Neue Klasse X IMG_8486
Rivian R1T R1S R2/R3 vs. BMW Neue Klasse X IMG_8490

Rivian R1T R1S R2/R3 vs. BMW Neue Klasse X IMG_9059

Last edited:

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

I don’t think Rivian has to worry about the 🐽 . Vision vehicles are typically just concepts to create buzz. The sedan looks better than their SUV. Also, is there any valid reason to make the main screen a parallelogram?

racekarl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Really like the exterior look of both, but that interior gives me a headache. Everything looks like you're moving even when it's parked. Bizarre screen shape, steering wheel with spokes at 12 and 6...

I get it's just a styling concept, and hopefully the interior stays that way ;)

Sponsored

Rivian Head

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Physician
RJ has much to worry about
How do you all view BMW’s “Vision Neue Klasse X” in comparison to the upcoming R2 and R3 models?

I assume it won’t have the off-road chops of the Rivians but it might be a good option for mall crawlers (like me, except not like me because I’m such a Rivian-head). Admittedly, details are vague and it looks a lot more “concept” than either the R2 or R3.

Some info here:
RJ has much to worry about as Rivian may follow the path of Fisker. Vision-Neu-Klasse is the least of his concern.

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
Bucky Beaver or Adolf's mustache, you decide.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Since Neue Klasse X is just a concept car built on a platform, I wouldn't think anything shown so far is indicative of production. While R2 will certainly see some "mass production changes" by release, it should be pretty close. The concept shown by BMW will likely bear only a passing resemblance to something that actually ships. (Like the BMW Mega City Vehicle concept that turned into the i3 - even the later i3 branded concept was noticeably different from the full production i3.)

Philip

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 1500SLT Crew cab
Occupation
Retired

Some info here:
R3 production in early 2025 would send Rivian through the TOP!

Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Let's see what they ship. BMW in recent years seems absolutely determined to make their cars as ugly as possible. I'd probably be driving an i4 m50 if it wasn't so hideous.
I used to love BMWs. Had a few but as the years wore on and they kept changing the design; I left. They were great drivers cars. The M3/M4 is still good but god they look fugly.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
It looks better than the current line up. But it's going to be fairly different as a production vehicle. Over the years, BMW's concept vehicles have lost most of the "exotic" looks/features - because the manufacturing engineers say to the designers "You expect us to build THOSE SHAPES efficiently in high volume at competitive cost? Are you crazy?" :D

Look at the roof. It's unlikely to pass rollover safety concerns without a more substantial cross member at the top of the windshield.
Rivian R1T R1S R2/R3 vs. BMW Neue Klasse X 1711372811568-4y

KRG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 R1T DM
Occupation
Tech Bro
Clubs

I actually like it. Obviously it'll be toned way down for production but the proportions are good and I like this classic snout far more than the enormous stretched out kidneys of the current lineup. I too used to love BMWs and think most of them are ugly today. I do like the new 5 series; that's the first decent looking one in a while. This is even better. I don't like the interior, but that's 80% concept flash.

I have a reservation for an R2 but would be open to a BMW if they offer something with more classic proportions and clean styling again. If you look past the concept car extravagance, I think this could be nice looking.

I don't think it'll directly compete with the R2 though, and it'll be more expensive than a Model Y.

The Audi Q6 e-Tron, Mercedes EQC SUV, Macan EV, Cadillac Lyriq, Polestar 4, Acura ZDX, etc are the likely competition.

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
Doesn't really seem much like an R2 competitor. Certainly not a direct competitor. Looks more like something that will compete with Polestar 3 maybe...

White Shadow

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & Audi
Occupation
SP
I used to love BMWs. Had a few but as the years wore on and they kept changing the design; I left. They were great drivers cars. The M3/M4 is still good but god they look fugly.
I know the Internet mostly hates it, but I absolutely love the way this thing looks:

Rivian R1T R1S R2/R3 vs. BMW Neue Klasse X G87M2
Sponsored