Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Pretty much a normal wear rate for a 8000 lb truck with 800+ horsepower
Absolutely not. If that were the case, then every R1 owner would be replacing tires under 10k miles.

I’m at 31,000 on the 21’s. on my R1T.

driving style is a big factor, just sayin…..
This.
Rivian will not replace your tires for wear.
That's great for you both, however my driving style is very conservative. We rarely use conserve mode (so no front biased wear) and we've launched the truck maybe 5 times.. If we're hooning something, it's our MYP, that I've setup to drive hard.

Maybe a small contribution but no way should Rivian fully pay for a full set of tires for the OP. Yet more whining about trying to get free stuff. Rivian goes above and beyond regularly for people but they are a business and need to make a profit.
Here's the kicker about this... since Rivian have all the data showing wheel alignment and balance are within spec (so they say), they could attempt to have the supplier replace under warranty.

I take extremely well care of my vehicles and have NEVER had a set of tires on a daily street-driven vehicle be completely worn out like this. I've also had Pirellis in the past on other vehicles, and yes, while I know they're a bit softer compound, never did I have premature wear on those vehicles.
Sponsored

22R1S

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1S, 2021 Tesla Model 3, 2019 Kia Sorento
OP, I had my front two 21” tires replaced by Rivian due to abnormal wear but it was after only 1000 or so miles. I can send you pictures if needed.

I had everyone on the forums telling me it was because of my driving but I knew I had been babying it and even though Rivian originally said it was due to “hard acceleration under cornering” I kept pushing back and they eventually agreed. Sure enough, the next set has worn much better.

But sadly, overall I would agree with the consensus here. 8,000 miles is too much for Rivian to justify helping you.

this is also why I recently picked up a set of 20” as the data would show they last much longer than the 21’s overall.

Mike2325

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
The whole conversation about tire wear seems silly....
Are you using economy mode? Do you take off and feel any pull from the vehicle? Are you rotating tires regularly?
Economy mode only uses front tires, the tires will take a beating if you are even slightly heavy on take off, roll the window down and listen to the tires slip... Rubber VS Asphalt, rubber loses.
How long tires last absolutely has everything to do with how you drive, my first set of tires lasted 20k miles, I quickly realized how I was driving absolutely wore the tires down.
( once in a great while I'll take off Like a rocket but it's very limited after paying for tires )
I always use all purpose mode when not on an Interstate Freeway, helps with slip when taking off.
I assure you my tires will last 30k or more driving the vehicle more Consciously.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
The whole conversation about tire wear seems silly....
Are you using economy mode? Do you take off and feel any pull from the vehicle? Are you rotating tires regularly?
Economy mode only uses front tires, the tires will take a beating if you are even slightly heavy on take off, roll the window down and listen to the tires slip... Rubber VS Asphalt, rubber loses.
How long tires last absolutely has everything to do with how you drive, my first set of tires lasted 20k miles, I quickly realized how I was driving absolutely wore the tires down.
( once in a great while I'll take off Like a rocket but it's very limited after paying for tires )
I always use all purpose mode when not on an Interstate Freeway, helps with slip when taking off.
I assure you my tires will last 30k or more driving the vehicle more Consciously.
You do realize that many of these trucks have serious alignment issues when they leave plant and many have had service repeatedly attempt to realign and still have vehicles that pull, wear tires, etc... Just because your sample size of 1 says it shouldn't happen and is OP fault is a bit narrow sighted.

Mike2325

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
You do realize that many of these trucks have serious alignment issues when they leave plant and many have had service repeatedly attempt to realign and still have vehicles that pull, wear tires, etc... Just because your sample size of 1 says it shouldn't happen and is OP fault is a bit narrow sighted.
I do realize that a lot of drivers have never had a vehicle that has the torque of an electric vehicle. I also see numerous posts of people realizing the obvious, after burning through a set of tires.
Are there alignment issues, I'm sure there are. I've owned vehicles that have had them.
Either the people that post are not being clear that the inside or outside part of the tire wears more quickly ( tow or camber )

I've owned an electric vehicle since 2015 and have had Model X performance and Plaid ( that have much more Torque than my Rivian ) When a tire wears evenly, it's a user issue.

It's much like a Nissan leaf using a 350 kwh charger when there are numerous other ones available.
Sounds like there is a whole lot of learning curve going on and seems like a lot of complaining about the ignorance.
( Do you have an issue, possibly. Is this an epidemic, doubtful)
I got my R1T in May 2022 and have 50k miles on it, it took some time to learn how ( even after driving an EV for years )
Good luck, If there's an issue, I hope they resolve it quickly for you.
And my sample size isnt 1 , I keep up on topics that interest me and I dare say this seems like a whole lot of user ignorance. You have Obviously skewed the "sky is falling" because it's an issue you feel you have and look for others to confirm it....

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I do realize that a lot of drivers have never had a vehicle that has the torque of an electric vehicle. I also see numerous posts of people realizing the obvious, after burning through a set of tires.
Are there alignment issues, I'm sure there are. I've owned vehicles that have had them.
Either the people that post are not being clear that the inside or outside part of the tire wears more quickly ( tow or camber )

I've owned an electric vehicle since 2015 and have had Model X performance and Plaid ( that have much more Torque than my Rivian ) When a tire wears evenly, it's a user issue.

It's much like a Nissan leaf using a 350 kwh charger when there are numerous other ones available.
Sounds like there is a whole lot of learning curve going on and seems like a lot of complaining about the ignorance.
( Do you have an issue, possibly. Is this an epidemic, doubtful)
I got my R1T in May 2022 and have 50k miles on it, it took some time to learn how ( even after driving an EV for years )
Good luck, If there's an issue, I hope they resolve it quickly for you.
And my sample size isnt 1 , I keep up on topics that interest me and I dare say this seems like a whole lot of user ignorance. You have Obviously skewed the "sky is falling" because it's an issue you feel you have and look for others to confirm it....
Here is the thing...I have almost 30k on mine and got it May 22 and my tires are in good shape. So I am not talking about mine. And I drive it aggressively at times and it actually still pulls to right so not perfect. If OP blew threw tires at 8k and has stated that he drives as he has, he may even have a cracked subframe or leaning suspension or just bad alignments. Early welded subframes did that. But to just assume he must be abusing his because you don't abuse yours and your tires held up good, doesn't recognize that some of these things have issues. No sky is falling and I never said anything about an epidemic. But if OP has been struggling with alignment, like some well discussed cases on these forums, Rivian should recognize that and work with him to find a fair middle ground. Comparing a Tesla Plaid or any other vehicle has nothing to do with this situation. Rivian has struggled with alignment of some people's vehicles and if OP is one of them and has tried to have them fix it and the failure to fix it is causing ture wear....they they should participate in the costs of tire replacement.

RVXIAN

First Name
Raymond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Sales
There is not a single tire manufacturer that makes EV-rated tires that warrants their tires for tread wear. Not a single one. You can, of course, go with non-EV-rated tires, But for the most part, the tires warranted for tread wear use very hard composites that result in a non-refined ride and a lot of tire nose as well as sub-par road handling. So, if you don’t mind being annoyed with the tires, then you can go this route. Generally, people who pay $100.000 for the vehicle don’t mind a $2,000 tire purchase once a year to enjoy their ride quality.
Most manufacturers are using marketing of “EV rated tires” aside from load rating and speed index tires are going to be the same for cars. They’re maybe some small compound differences notated like foam to reduce noise. Tires are tires. As long as they’re rated for the car the type of propulsion doesn’t matter. It’s mainly marketing. Agreed with that statement on tire ride when it comes to optimizing ride harshness if that’s key then 22s wouldn’t be recommend for that. A large wheel tends to compromise ride harshness for aesthetics and handling.
Personally the pirelli zeros that come on the car at 2,000 a set are terrible for my needs. I couldn’t wait to get off of them. Traction was subpar on wet cold conditions, wear is subpar. I will say the vibrations from the tires were decent and road noise. For my needs I think a highway tire would suit better than a performance all season tire.

jimmyb2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Express AWD, Lexus RX450h, Rivian R1S
Do they have to....no....should they based on all the facts....yes.
Are you certain you actually know “all the facts”?

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Are you certain you actually know “all the facts”?
I am not certain. My response that Rivian should participate is conditional on proper behavior and care by OP. I think that was clear but if not, that was my intent.

izgoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ID.4 Model Y
Tires are tires. As long as they’re rated for the car the type of propulsion doesn’t matter. It’s mainly marketing
It’s not the case. You can do research on EV tires. The tire manufacturers are developing new compounds for the EVs. There are challenges with EVs such as high torque and regeneration that cause much more wear that EVs put on tires than ICEVs do.

EV tires are still in active development, so whereas initially EV tires may have been mostly a marketing gimmick, nowadays there are significant differences between newly released EV-rated tires and regular tires, and EV-rates tires are significantly more expensive.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
OP, did you have uneven wear? I think that's the key question if you suspect that alignment is to blame, assuming your tire pressure was within spec throughout the 8K miles.
Sponsored