Sponsored

Rivian confirms no Meridian Sound System in my R1S. It has in-house audio system

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
True that. Happiness in life is all about managing expectations.
The happiest people are supposedly the Fins.

In working with the Fins I have to wonder if they are really happy because they manage expectations or is part of that from living among people who are intelligent and competent?

It's easier to be happy when your neighbor/coworker/supplier has your back, and isn't a compete idiot. :)
Sponsored

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

For those of you who have taken delivery already, does the window sticker / Monroney sticker get into detail about the audio system? If so, do pre-change (Meridian-equipped) trucks have “Meridian” on the sticker and post-change trucks lack the word “Meridian” on the sticker?

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

@Tim Dora you are comparing two different vehicles R1T Meridian to R1S Elevation. The T is bound to sound better because it's a tighter space.

I take delivery on Wednesday and personally don't care either way, and I love music. Each I'm sure will have their own benefits and drawbacks.

Also, who said this was a luxury vehicle? Branding is Adventure Vehicle, not an executive back seat rider.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
For those of you who have taken delivery already, does the window sticker / Monroney sticker get into detail about the audio system? If so, do pre-change (Meridian-equipped) trucks have “Meridian” on the sticker and post-change trucks lack the word “Meridian” on the sticker?
My Monroney sticker says "Rivian Elevation audio by Meridian".

OP's Monroney sticker says "Rivian Elevation audio by Ben Derover".

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Also, who said this was a luxury vehicle? Branding is Adventure Vehicle, not an executive back seat rider.
Yup. One might argue "premium" akin to Volvo or Acura but most certainly not luxury. IMHO, Tesla has seriously watered down the definition of a luxury vehicle. Just because it is "expensive" doesn't mean it is luxurious.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

He only said the Meridian sounded better AFTER he was made aware it was different.

Another person in the thread who has both said they are both good systems.
Just did a quick comparison. I think the Meridian in my R1S might sound slightly better than the Meridian in my R1T. But part of that could be the R1S is empty inside and speakers are new whereas I've got a bunch of crap in my R1T and plenty of full volume play and miles on the truck at this point. Or it could just be natural variation.

Either way I don't think it's a significant enough difference in the sound stage for otherwise identical systems for my non-audiophile ears. I'd likely not be able to tell which vehicle I was in during a blind test. (Both meridian systems if you didn't catch that the first time)

OP
OP

Tim Dora

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2022 , R1S 2023
Clubs

When you take delivery, check the front of the hood where the hood buts up to the side panels. If the joint isn't flush call them out on it. My R1T's hood would "flutter" on the highway. I had to drive 3 hours to the Normal factory to get it fixed. It seems to be a common problem.

In our R1S, there is a big water stain on the ceiling above the driver's seat. The Rivian delivery person took note of it (we took pictures) and told us that a tech would come to our house in Indianapolis to fix it. Service now says we have to take it back to the Normal or Chicago service centers. Both are a three hour drive one-way.

The R1T truck bed wouldn't open when we pushed the button on the bed. The normal service center fixed that as well.

You really need to check the quality of the vehicle when you take delivery. I don't think their quality inspections are up to par yet.

Reactions: Guy

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Someone would need to look at a newer ones but the older ones say Rivian Elevation by Meridian.

SDH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
Counterpoint:

I have an early R1T (3500ish vin) and a just built R1S (6500ish vin) and I think they both sound great. The R1S does seem to allow for a higher maximum volume as well, with no perceptible distortion.

But my take is too boring, I know.
Rules of the internet, you need to be complaining. It's ALWAYS someone else's fault. I never even knew about the 12v plug in the frunk but since this Forum told me about them and I don't have one, I'm sooooo mad!

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
Someone would need to look at a newer ones but the older ones say Rivian Elevation by Meridian.
I received my R1T last week - the Monroney doesn't say anything about the sound system. The speaker grills do say Meridian on them, which is consistent with them keeping Meridian until February (mine was built in December).

Sponsored

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
If two otherwise exactly same vehicles were side by side, with the exception that one had the Meridian system and one had the Rivian system, which would you choose to take home? Exact everything else. Price, build quality, etc...

bummin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23R1S, 22WRX
Occupation
Whatever the wife says to do
I think someone needs to do a fair review of the new system. No where in any comments have we seen Rivian stopped using Meridian speakers, only that they have changed to a new amp they can use in both vehicles. We know (1) mid range was removed from rear doors, and less rare earth materiel is being used. Two less speakers means less material. Rivian has gone though some issues, wood in back headrest may have been a supplier issue that would delay vehicles, or using hangers on the hoods tore up the wood over plastic? Couple of 12v outlets we still don't know reason for removal.

My buddy builds custom vans for van life people and his stuff is better than Gen 1 camp kitchen, so maybe V2.0 will be to everyone's liking? Many complained Meridian was clear, but lacking a bit of oomph when pushed, I can attest to is as the HK 19 speaker in my Ram smokes my Rivian in performance. Though not quite as sharp on flat EQ on both vehicles, but can stream via USB. Wife's Acura ELS 3D system pretty sweet as well. Maybe Rivian is just getting cheap, maybe this new system gives stronger quality and features they could not modify under Meridian contract? Possibly Meridian would not allow anything like noise canceling, higher volume levels under the proprietary contract/warranty? I like to think RJ is trying to adhere to his original vision while learning the hard way about supply chains, we are along for the ride. I just don't see a company spending a decade designing a top quality vehicle only to follow the big 3 and go as cheap as customers are willing accept, especially after a 20% price increase.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Not delivering with tank turn or a camp kitchen is not the same as not delivering with wheels but go on…

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

I just took delivery last week, and the guide I was with wasn't aware Rivian is replacing Meridian with an in-house system. If you didn't realize this it yet, Rivian internal comms are just as poor as external. Sometimes things move so fast the guides have to learn about the changes from us 🙂

clownsmashd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T - LE Green/20" AT/BM -- Chevy BOLT EUV
Occupation
Data Scientist/Engineer
Clubs

Picked up a LE Green R1T on Saturday. It did have the Meridian sound system but no 12V under dash. Maybe whatever leftover Meridians they had were saved for Launch Editions? Who knows.

My sticker has no mention of the audio system or of outlets.

quick edit: VIN PN0198xx
Sponsored