Sponsored

Rivian doesn't cost less to drive on long trips

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

Now that I've observed the vehicle on longer trips I'm realizing that there isn't much difference in cost per mile vs our V8 powered 2007 Lexus GX470 here in CA.

GX: $5 per gal / 20mpg= .25 per mile
R1S: $.50 per kw dcfc / 2 mi per kwh = .25 per mile

What's everyone else seeing? Home charging costs about half as much so it's like a 40mpg SUV in that case. Although it's classified as 75mpge, you have to fill it with $8-$16 per gal "gas."
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Now that I've observed the vehicle on longer trips I'm realizing that there isn't much difference in cost per mile vs our V8 powered 2007 Lexus GX470 here in CA.

What's everyone else seeing? Home charging costs about half as much so it's like a 40mpg SUV in that case. Although it's classified as 75mpge, you have to fill it with $8-$16 per gal "gas."
This is a little misleading; prices for electricity vary more drastically than gasoline. Many of the DCFC are $.36 per kWh , and home charging for many is $.14 or less per kWh.

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

@HaveBlue, that is the same for me in the Bay Area paying PG&E rates, but my prior vehicle was a Subaru Impreza versus an R1T. The R1T is just so much more comfortable.

My home PG&E bill has gone up by the same amount my gasoline bill went down. I also no longer have oil and filter changes for the Impreza.

Last edited:

ohseedee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

Depends a lot on where and how you charge. I finished a trip and spent $200 on charging. At $5 a gallon and 20 miles/gallon I would have paid $287 in gas. Free overnight charging at a hotel or airbnb isn’t uncommon, which could have massive impacts if you plan right. When was the last time Hilton Express filled up your gas tank while you slept? Also 50 cents is way too expensive. Get an EA membership before you charge and its Typically 36 cents. But yeah, it’s not a lot cheaper on the road Than gas.

Sponsored

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21
Yup. it's ~$3.80-$4.50 gas prices in my area. California PGE rate is crazy high (34c off-peak, 53c pk). I've got solar net-metering and free charging at work for now, so it doesn't hurt yet.

OP
OP
HaveBlue

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

I've looked around in LA and many level 2 chargers are over 40 cents. On the weekend I found a charge point L2 that was $1 per hour which sounds good for 6kwh at .16 but they charged a $10 connection fee! You'd have to be there all day to make it

I'm just trying to point out the hype of 75mpge vs 20mpg. It's not a very good comparison metric. Sometimes it's a deal. Sometimes you get screwed. Arguably I can also get 2.5 m/kWh on the highway so being loose with math can vary.

Joules Burn

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L FE
Occupation
Retired Electronics
Unlike your other vehicles, the Rivian doesn't need oil changes, service sessions in the hundreds of dollars, smog checks, regular brake jobs, a laundry list of mechanical repairs - and nobody is going to steal your catalytic converter. (My last Audi was my biggest money pit.)

Your "long trip" comparison is accurate but is taken way out of context. Most charging is done at home. Most of my destinations are at low/no cost L2 hotel chargers.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

depends on what youre comparing it to. recently took a 2500 mile road trip. in my R1T it was about $600 charging costs. in my Lexus hybrid it would have been about $450. in my Highlander it would have been $725. with gas prices at $4.50/gallon.

Joel

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo
Unlike your other vehicles, the Rivian doesn't need oil changes, service sessions in the hundreds of dollars, smog checks, regular brake jobs, a laundry list of mechanical repairs - and nobody is going to steal your catalytic converter. (My last Audi was my biggest money pit.)

Your "long trip" comparison is accurate but is taken way out of context. Most charging is done at home. Most of my destinations are at low/no cost L2 hotel chargers.
We know there is a maintenance schedule just not the pricing yet. We can assume as of now it will need to be done at Rivian.

Sponsored

Joules Burn

First Name
Morris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Kia EV6 GT-L FE
Occupation
Retired Electronics
We know there is a maintenance schedule just not the pricing yet. We can assume as of now it will need to be done at Rivian.
True. But if my Kia EV6 GT-Line FE with 28K miles is any comparison, the total maintenance cost would be $30 for a cabin filter.

Doug

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Toyota Highlander Hybrid, 2002 Ford
Occupation
Business Owner

We only pay .11 Kw where I live and have seen level three chargers range from .09 Kw all the way up to .65 Kw so there are alot of variables. On a trip I do not think it will be much cheaper than a gas car. But if you find a few cheaper chargers and charge for free at a few motels or air bnb it is cheaper. Also for most people home charging is a lot cheaper then on a trip.

Glembi2

First Name
Glembi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Genesis GV70, Civic, & Mazda3
Occupation
Patent attorney
Clubs

CrazyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura TL MT SH-AWD, CBR 600RR ABS, R1T
It's not. If you don't drive, the vampire drain costs money, while my gas cars don't. Not to mention the upfront cost. It also adds an hour or more to long trips. Charging times are one thing, finding charger, waiting for it to be available, going out of the way to find the charger all are not convenient.

Also to all who say maintenance is cheaper, see this. It's only cheaper if you buy a new car every few years and don't drive a oot. https://insideevs.com/news/699413/highest-mileage-tesla-model-s-3-batteries-14-motors/

I bought Rivian because I like it and prefer it over gas cars. I believe it's safer too.
Sponsored