OP
OP
DallasBBQ

DallasBBQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Defender 110 Dynamic X, R1S
I just took my R1S out after the update. During that 15 drive the sound seemed significantly improved. Not sure if was a fluke or not. Has anyone else experienced this? It still had a low hum that stated about 5 minutes into the drive, but I made a five minute stop to pick something up and then got back in and drove another 10 minutes with a/c full blast and though it wasn't completely quiet it seemed to be a big difference. I will have to take the car out several more times before I am convinced, perhaps it was a fluke.
I'm waiting for the update to appear. Hope this helps. I would love to be in the happy owner category.
Sponsored

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mercedes GLK 250, 2009 Mercedes E63
Occupation
Engineer
I just took my R1S out after the update. During that 15 drive the sound seemed significantly improved. Not sure if was a fluke or not. Has anyone else experienced this? It still had a low hum that stated about 5 minutes into the drive, but I made a five minute stop to pick something up and then got back in and drove another 10 minutes with a/c full blast and though it wasn't completely quiet it seemed to be a big difference. I will have to take the car out several more times before I am convinced, perhaps it was a fluke.
Any updates on this? I still havenā€™t been pushed the latest software update so I canā€™t compare yet.

Bartocamazin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Any updates on this? I still havenā€™t been pushed the latest software update so I canā€™t compare yet.
I drove twice yesterday. Both times the sound was quieter. It began about 3 or 4 minutes into my drive like it has been doing but it didn't ramp up to weed Wacker level as it had been doing before the update. After 10-15 minutes of driving the sound seemed to dissipate even further and it wasn't obtrusive, I thought maybe 80% gone. When I got out of the car I heard the noise but again it was about 80% diminished. This is a single day experience and it may be due to weather conditions, though it was in the low 90s yesterday and humid like always. I will keep observing but am also curious of other people's experience.

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Got it - I will chime in as well as soon as I get the update.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Sponsored

tusharparmar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I got my Delivery on Friday and updated the software shortly after it. I can surely confirm that with new OTA update I still have same noise appearing under several different scenarios.
  1. When cabin is hot(temp 90f+)and I turn on AC in Auto - Defination happens
  2. At night (outside temp under 90f) when I pre-conditioned cabin for 10 mins to 72f and noise stopped. Suddenly I had to stop and kept passenger door opened for 5 mins. Again noise started out of the blues.
  3. In the evening when car cabin was pre-conditioned to 72 for over an hour during (~20 mins drive + ~40 mins charging session). Noise started when I was driving back home from charger.
  4. During DCF charging session after 5 minutes or so it started making annoyingly loud noise for rest of the charging session.
On some rare occasions, turning off AC or Auto helped eliminating the noise for sometime. But for most part it didn't work.

Upon delivery I was told by delivery manager Dalton that this isn't a widespread issue and if you experience it, let us know and we will fix it. After experiencing the problem myself, I do believe that it is a widespread issue and Rivian should fix it ASAP. I have service request in place.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
I got my Delivery on Friday and updated the software shortly after it. I can surely confirm that with new OTA update I still have same noise appearing under several different scenarios......Upon delivery I was told by delivery manager Dalton that this isn't a widespread issue and if you experience it, let us know and we will fix it. After experiencing the problem myself, I do believe that it is a widespread issue and Rivian should fix it ASAP. I have service request in place.
Congratulations on getting us to the half century milestone, at least by my count!

42 here: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ledges-r1s-ac-noise-problem.16133/post-351562

Plus:
43. Friscorays (me) not that I've taken delivery yesterday.
44. Doormat9634: "I've also heard my R1T make a similar noise. At first, I wasn't certain what was causing it, but I suspected the AC pump, and this thread has reinforced that notion."
45. HarisonAltDelete: "Rivian owner in TX here. I've had this problem for months. It even did it in winter on warm days. Bought my car used with 2k miles in February so it was probably an earlier build."
46. Shap: "Like everyone on this team, I have the AC noise issue."
47. Wiremom: "I picked up my R1S from the Houston SC Saturday and have that noise - there's a loud whine that fluctuates in intensity; I can feel slight vibration in the steering wheel and can clearly hear it in the cabin."

Plus:
48. Ryanfcooper: "Long time lurker first time poster... as other Texans have mentioned it's super hot out but the weed wacker noise is pretty rough."
49. R1Spvaz: "Mine is now doing the same thing. Here in AZ. goes away if I turn off AC and then turn back on."
50. Tusharparmar: As above.

Zeusy Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Iā€™m in miami and this doesnā€™t make me feel good about taking delivery soon šŸ˜©

Bradburn

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Educator
Clubs

Congratulations on getting us to the half century milestone, at least by my count!

42 here: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ledges-r1s-ac-noise-problem.16133/post-351562

Plus:
43. Friscorays (me) not that I've taken delivery yesterday.
44. Doormat9634: "I've also heard my R1T make a similar noise. At first, I wasn't certain what was causing it, but I suspected the AC pump, and this thread has reinforced that notion."
45. HarisonAltDelete: "Rivian owner in TX here. I've had this problem for months. It even did it in winter on warm days. Bought my car used with 2k miles in February so it was probably an earlier build."
46. Shap: "Like everyone on this team, I have the AC noise issue."
47. Wiremom: "I picked up my R1S from the Houston SC Saturday and have that noise - there's a loud whine that fluctuates in intensity; I can feel slight vibration in the steering wheel and can clearly hear it in the cabin."

Plus:
48. Ryanfcooper: "Long time lurker first time poster... as other Texans have mentioned it's super hot out but the weed wacker noise is pretty rough."
49. R1Spvaz: "Mine is now doing the same thing. Here in AZ. goes away if I turn off AC and then turn back on."
50. Tusharparmar: As above.
Thank you for compiling this. Mine does the same thing. Pedal vibrates. Loud humming like an enormous hard drive winding up. Full ac with vented seats on does this for me 100% of the time.

nkp907

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, MDX
One more DFW area ... high 5000 Vin # Took to Dallas service center on paper they say "No trouble found" but service advisor acknowledged that they are aware of problem and looking in to this

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian executive acknowledges R1S AC noise problem WhatsApp Image 2023-06-26 at 12.04.54 PM

Sponsored

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
50 here: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ledges-r1s-ac-noise-problem.16133/post-355407

Plus:
51. Bradburn: ".....Mine does the same thing. Pedal vibrates. Loud humming like an enormous hard drive winding up. Full ac with vented seats on does this for me 100% of the time."
52. Nkp907: "One more DFW area ... high 5000 Vin # Took to Dallas service center on paper they say "No trouble found" but service advisor acknowledged that they are aware of problem and looking in to this."

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Received 2023.22.0 last night. Immediate observations are that it no longer starts up on entry to full compressor speed as it used to. It does so now in phases. Open the door and it turns on slowly, and ramps up depending on conditions. Big improvement there.

However, I think Rivian still has the issue with NVH and needs to add a dampener or revised attachment or combination of both to diminish the vibrations throughout the cabin. As there isnā€™t software that will fix that.

My 23 Tesla S LR has a notable whirr whenever the compressor turns on, however, itā€™s not felt through the cabin. Theyā€™ve done a great job at isolating that.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
Received 2023.22.0 last night. Immediate observations are that it no longer starts up on entry to full compressor speed as it used to. It does so now in phases. Open the door and it turns on slowly, and ramps up depending on conditions. Big improvement there.

However, I think Rivian still has the issue with NVH and needs to add a dampener or revised attachment or combination of both to diminish the vibrations throughout the cabin. As there isnā€™t software that will fix that.

My 23 Tesla S LR has a notable whirr whenever the compressor turns on, however, itā€™s not felt through the cabin. Theyā€™ve done a great job at isolating that.
Somebody had mentioned it is not easy to just add a damper. Things like that alter enough that all crash testing, etc... would have to be redone, since it could alter crash safety performance.

jpmc86

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer

R1Tom

First Name
Tom