First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mercedes GLK 250, 2009 Mercedes E63
Occupation
Engineer
More initial observations - update seems to have changed the behavior of the AC compressor on ours.

A lot more tamed and not as obtrusive. My prediction is they’ve adjusted the response curve on the compressor.

It’s a lot more livable really.
Sponsored

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
More initial observations - update seems to have changed the behavior of the AC compressor on ours.

A lot more tamed and not as obtrusive. My prediction is they’ve adjusted the response curve on the compressor.

It’s a lot more livable really.
Updating now so will see…

Bartocamazin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
After a several more days after the update, I find that the noise is almost as loud as it was previously. The first day after I drove it may have been a fluke because I thought there was a huge difference, but it seems to be back to buzzing loudly again. Rivian Mobile service came out today and said it is normal behavior for the a/c compressor and really the only fix would be for rivian to add a cover or insulation. But for now they are saying that the a/c is functioning as intended and the noise is just an annoyance that we have to live with. Doesn't RJ live in Florida part time? If he does, there is no way he hasn't personally heard the noise.

PBRAZ

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC Denali, Range Rover
Maybe something like that would work. At some point the discussion was about feeling alot of different vibrations in the accelerator pedal and adding a mass to the firewall to change harmonic frequency. Maybe a simple acoustic insulation cover would be able to help in the noise department.
I don't have mine yet, but can someone pop on over to Amazon and purchase the same material (assume some sort of closed cell, fire resistant foam), wrap the compressor, and see if it helps?

Sponsored

klownhavok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Mine.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I heard this noise on Tuesday. It was mid 90s and my truck had been sitting in the sun parked at work all day, then I drove home and charged at an EA station near my place. It started during the charging session, included the vibrating accelerator pedal. Didn’t seem as loud as some others have posted.

I did the update on Wednesday, an equally hot day and did not hear it, but this is obviously too small a sample to draw any conclusions.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I heard this noise on Tuesday. It was mid 90s and my truck had been sitting in the sun parked at work all day, then I drove home and charged at an EA station near my place. It started during the charging session, included the vibrating accelerator pedal. Didn’t seem as loud as some others have posted.

I did the update on Wednesday, an equally hot day and did not hear it, but this is obviously too small a sample to draw any conclusions.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian executive acknowledges R1S AC noise problem IMG_0904

Q-Dub23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Just got the below from my Rivian guide on the weed whacker issue. Not sure how much comfort we can take from it.

We don't have any information from Rivian regarding this issue specifically, but I raised this question to my leadership and that issue is resolved in production now. Any issues can be addressed by a service ticket, however, and our goal is to make sure the R1S is perfect before we deliver when we perform our 52-point inspection when it arrives.

CruxOp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1s
Just got the below from my Rivian guide on the weed whacker issue. Not sure how much comfort we can take from it.

We don't have any information from Rivian regarding this issue specifically, but I raised this question to my leadership and that issue is resolved in production now. Any issues can be addressed by a service ticket, however, and our goal is to make sure the R1S is perfect before we deliver when we perform our 52-point inspection when it arrives.
Any idea when this was resolved in production? Would be a good reference point, it if we knew what vins are seeing the issue

Sponsored

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (pre-ordered, Audi RS5 Sportback
Occupation
IT

Smells like bologna.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Last night, just before 7:00, I received a call from the Rivian Southwest territory manager. During our conversation, she acknowledged the widespread issue with AC motor noise in the R1S that occurs in hot weather. I expressed my frustration, explaining that our vehicle has become so loud that we avoid driving it unless absolutely necessary. To me, this clearly indicates a defective design, but she quickly refuted my claim.

Her response seemed rehearsed, as if carefully crafted by their legal team. She assured me that the vehicle is operating as designed, providing cooling and posing no safety risk. I shared my experience of driving two other R1S vehicles in Dallas, both of which did not have this noise issue. She stated they are among the "lucky ones."

Interestingly, it seems that my persistence in reaching out to various executives within the company, including RJ himself, has finally prompted a response. I had already taken the vehicle to the Dallas service center twice for repairs, only to be told repeatedly that nothing was wrong with it.

It's incredibly frustrating to own an $80K vehicle that sounds like it's about to explode. I wish good luck to everyone in hot climates this summer, as this problem has escalated from being intermittent to nearly constant. The noise is unbelievably loud, both inside and outside the vehicle. I have attached videos to highlight the severity of the issue.

Our R1T sounded like that originally. I reported first day with a ticket and video. Rivian replaced the A/C compressor and condenser and now operates much better for A/C and cooling during DC charging. Way less noise/vibrations.

siress

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 1950 ICON TR, 93 MB 500E. 33 MB 300SL
Occupation
Venture Capitalist
Clubs

Last night, just before 7:00, I received a call from the Rivian Southwest territory manager. During our conversation, she acknowledged the widespread issue with AC motor noise in the R1S that occurs in hot weather. I expressed my frustration, explaining that our vehicle has become so loud that we avoid driving it unless absolutely necessary. To me, this clearly indicates a defective design, but she quickly refuted my claim.

Her response seemed rehearsed, as if carefully crafted by their legal team. She assured me that the vehicle is operating as designed, providing cooling and posing no safety risk. I shared my experience of driving two other R1S vehicles in Dallas, both of which did not have this noise issue. She stated they are among the "lucky ones."

Interestingly, it seems that my persistence in reaching out to various executives within the company, including RJ himself, has finally prompted a response. I had already taken the vehicle to the Dallas service center twice for repairs, only to be told repeatedly that nothing was wrong with it.

It's incredibly frustrating to own an $80K vehicle that sounds like it's about to explode. I wish good luck to everyone in hot climates this summer, as this problem has escalated from being intermittent to nearly constant. The noise is unbelievably loud, both inside and outside the vehicle. I have attached videos to highlight the severity of the issue.

wow, I picked up my R1S last week here in Austin Texas were we have not seen anything under 100 for over a month, mine does not sound like that at all, even with the highest fan setting.

Whale Blubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW X3 3.0si, 2021 Toyota RAV4 XLE
wow, I picked up my R1S last week here in Austin Texas were we have not seen anything under 100 for over a month, mine does not sound like that at all, even with the highest fan setting.
As a similarly situated soon-to-be Austin picker-upper, your reported non-hearing is good to hear.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Our R1T sounded like that originally. I reported first day with a ticket and video. Rivian replaced the A/C compressor and condenser and now operates much better for A/C and cooling during DC charging. Way less noise/vibrations.
So some people are going to need:
1) New A/C compressor & condenser
2) New heavier steering wheel
3) New tonneau cover
4) New half-shafts or drive units
5) New single 12V battery system that uses a capacitor in place if the second 12V battery

Geeze... anything else? Good thing Rivian has deep pockets ;)
Sponsored

Reactions: Guy