Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So my Rivian branded mounts came. They are a bit finicky to install but feel pretty solid.

My main problem now is that the pins that come with the mounts are designed for the boards with the carbide teeth. I only have standard boards so they are loose in the mount. My original pins won't work without modifications, but I can probably make the Rivian ones work.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Maxtrax mounts installed PXL_20220907_223925112

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Maxtrax mounts installed PXL_20220907_223907434

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Maxtrax mounts installed PXL_20220907_223410419

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Maxtrax mounts installed PXL_20220907_222301240
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Maxtrax mounts installed PXL_20220907_224514246

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Maxtrax mounts installed PXL_20220907_222726714
Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

What about adding a rubber washer of some sort to the base of the pin, effectively raising your trax to be more secure and less prone to wind flutter.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

What about adding a rubber washer of some sort to the base of the pin, effectively raising your trax to be more secure and less prone to wind flutter.
That's what I was thinking about doing. I might have some that will work but haven't looked yet.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Oh, and the extra long gear guard cable reaches the roof no problem. Not sure I'd keep it connected this way all the time, but it's easy enough to take the boards off when I don't need them.

Can't go for a drive right now but I'll update on if the mounts whistle or anything when there are no boards on it.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Maxtrax mounts installed PXL_20220907_230110083

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Curious about your awning - why didn't you just mount it up on the roof. That's how I did mine, but am wondering if there was something I didn't consider.

Sponsored

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Toyota FJ, R1S Quad Large Pack Feb 2023
So my Rivian branded mounts came. They are a bit finicky to install but feel pretty solid.

My main problem now is that the pins that come with the mounts are designed for the boards with the carbide teeth. I only have standard boards so they are loose in the mount. My original pins won't work without modifications, but I can probably make the Rivian ones work.
Now you’ve got me worried. I already have MaxTrax boards that do not have the replaceable teeth. I’ve been assuming that the Rivian mounts, which I’ve ordered and will receive Friday, will work / fit. I won’t have my R1S until Oct-Dec. I’m hoping I can test the fit without having the vehicle.

You’re saying you already own MaxTrax pins, which may be the issue? You don’t yet know if the Rivian pins that come with the mount will fit well?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Now you’ve got me worried. I already have MaxTrax boards that do not have the replaceable teeth. I’ve been assuming that the Rivian mounts, which I’ve ordered and will receive Friday, will work / fit. I won’t have my R1S until Oct-Dec. I’m hoping I can’t test the fit without having the vehicle.

You’re saying you already own MaxTrax pins, which may be the issue? You don’t yet know if the Rivian pins that come with the mount will fit well?
The ones in the photo are what came with the Rivian mounts. The original ones I ordered have too long of a thread for the Rivian mounts. I haven't looked through Maxtrax catalog to see if they have a right sized mount for the standard boards with this shorter thread yet, but they may.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Curious about your awning - why didn't you just mount it up on the roof. That's how I did mine, but am wondering if there was something I didn't consider.
Mine is 270 degrees. Covers over the tailgate and goes forward to cover the front door.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

So it seems quite a bit noisier than just having the boards strapped to the rails. I'll probably do some scientific testing next week.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
I also got my MaxTrax mounts this week and finally got around to mounting them today. I'm super happy with the mounts - I haven't been able to find an aftermarket solution that is as versatile.

The mounting options on the Rivian mounts let them accept a huge variety of bolt patterns, which is perfect for me since I had a "creative" mounting solution in mind (the accessory rails on my Condor Overland tent), where they need to be off center (vertically) to clear the lift points for my ceiling hoist - you can see the bolt pattern in the photos below.

They seem to hold my MaxTrax Extreme boards (4x) super securely even in the possibly-unsanctioned vertical orientation.

They're heavy enough and cantilevered far enough out from the hinge that it makes my tent significantly harder to open, but it seems fine when opened. I actually kind of like the extra weight since it means the tent closes with more conviction and is easier to lock up.

I do need to remove the MaxTrax to use my ceiling hoist, but it only takes a few extra seconds to take them off and slide them on top of my tent for storage.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Maxtrax mounts installed 1662939588395

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Maxtrax mounts installed 1662939564648

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Maxtrax mounts installed 1662939637679

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Maxtrax mounts installed 1662939616152

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Maxtrax mounts installed 1662939732215

Sponsored

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Maxtrax mounts installed CD1CEF0C-0407-473C-93C0-1EEF5CCDC4DC
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Maxtrax mounts installed 0997F11B-5A4C-4BB0-93A5-B5105ACCF679
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Maxtrax mounts installed B32D0CD7-150B-4C3C-902A-EBD497F5B483
Rivian R1T R1S Rivian Maxtrax mounts installed C1F8AC12-C511-4E34-93EB-42CDC3B5E7D7
Now you’ve got me worried. I already have MaxTrax boards that do not have the replaceable teeth. I’ve been assuming that the Rivian mounts, which I’ve ordered and will receive Friday, will work / fit. I won’t have my R1S until Oct-Dec. I’m hoping I can test the fit without having the vehicle.

Update: I received my MaxTrax mounts, placed them on my crossbars, and set my 4 standard MaxTrax (without replaceable teeth) on them without issue. They don’t feel loose. I don’t have my vehicle yet, so can’t test wind effects, etc.

Rally1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, VS30, LR4, LR3
Getting my mounts next week, glad to see they work with the mk2 boards, maybe it works best with 4 vs 2.

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Tesla MY
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs

C1F8AC12-C511-4E34-93EB-42CDC3B5E7D7.jpeg

Update: I received my MaxTrax mounts, placed them on my crossbars, and set my 4 standard MaxTrax (without replaceable teeth) on them without issue. They don’t feel loose. I don’t have my vehicle yet, so can’t test wind effects, etc.
All boards fit great on the pins, the slot in the boards is the same. It is the thickness of the boards that is the issue. The MKII boards are thinner than the Xtreme boards, which is why maxtrax sells 2 different types of pins. The Rivian mounts come with pins for the Xtreme boards, meaning that if you stack 2 (or 4) MKII boards and rotate the "lock" on the pins, the boards are not locked on the pins, but have room to move up and down on the pins, which means rattling.

You can see this in your last pic, you have twisted the upper locking part of the pin, but the boards are nowhere close to being locked in place, you still have .75" left If I had to guess.

BrentInCO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All boards fit great on the pins, the slot in the boards is the same. It is the thickness of the boards that is the issue. The MKII boards are thinner than the Xtreme boards, which is why maxtrax sells 2 different types of pins. The Rivian mounts come with pins for the Xtreme boards, meaning that if you stack 2 (or 4) MKII boards and rotate the "lock" on the pins, the boards are not locked on the pins, but have room to move up and down on the pins, which means rattling.

You can see this in your last pic, you have twisted the upper locking part of the pin, but the boards are nowhere close to being locked in place, you still have .75" left If I had to guess.
Thanks. I just measured my existing mount for my ICE 4x4, and its pins are approximately 3.5” long, whereas Rivian’s are 4.5” long. I’ll look into buying the shorter pins from MaxTrax. I’m not sure if I can or should swap the shorter pins, as I may keep my ICE 4x4.

Leonbmx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2020 Tesla MY
Occupation
Boeing Design Engineer
Clubs