First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
Just got this email. I still believe the line shutdown will result in a materially different refreshed R1 platform, which is why Rivian is changing pre-order holders to vouchers, because trims/options aren't going to line up anymore.

Rivian R1T R1S Rivian temporarily pausing R1 configurator due to production line shutdown Screenshot_8
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Just got this email. I still believe the line shutdown will result in a materially different refreshed R1 platform, which is why Rivian is changing pre-order holders to vouchers, because trims/options aren't going to line up anymore.

Screenshot_8.png
Wait, what? Vouchers?

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
I was initially skeptical of the refresh theory, but their big push to sell demo vehicles is another data point in support of it.

ThatOneGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3

Screenshot_8.png
Completely agree. Every indicator has been pointing towards an imminent R1 refresh since R2 was unveiled.

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

It is going to be really interesting to see what the R1 refresh will include.

Brian

Supratachophobia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S
Clubs

Oh, so the big takeaway here for pre price hike holders is that you can buy a R1 now, through the shop, @ a 20% didn't from MSRP but you can't spec a new build. BUT then if you opt to wait until production restarts, you will have until September 30th to buy either a custom build or a refreshed shop vehicle at MSRP minus your 20% discount?

Lastly, regarding the new leasing incentives, what is the cost of buying out an R1 on month 2 of your lease?

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
Oh, so the big takeaway here for pre price hike holders is that you can buy a R1 now, through the shop, @ a 20% didn't from MSRP but you can't spec a new build. BUT then if you opt to wait until production restarts, you will have until September 30th to buy either a custom build or a refreshed shop vehicle at MSRP minus your 20% discount?

Lastly, regarding the new leasing incentives, what is the cost of buying out an R1 on month 2 of your lease?
I read it differently. It sounds like vouchers can only be used for shop purchases, not post-shutdown custom builds.

Sponsored

Khaos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Clubs

What do they mean the Standard pack+ "Now starts at" ... was there a price change? Are they mroe expensive now?

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

Gloveboxes, lots of gloveboxes.
I'm not sure I see them getting the glove boxes in, but I think they will have a NACS port, the new steering wheel we saw from the R2, maybe a heat pump, and the thinner front light bar.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
How about a QM Enduro with 1000hp+ and DM's with lockers at each end. That would be awesome.

OP
OP
itselectric

itselectric

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Website
evhelphub.com
Vehicles
R1T
I'm not sure I see them getting the glove boxes in, but I think they will have a NACS port, the new steering wheel we saw from the R2, maybe a heat pump, and the thinner front light bar.
I could see any of the following:
  • heat pump (almost guaranteed, you'd have to think)
  • wireless charger update
  • glovebox
  • standard suspension option/removal of air compressor for an "urban" trim
  • redesign of gear tunnel doors - these are a bit sharp
  • All new tonneau cover design that will be unique from the retrofits
  • new cameras with better resolution
  • new AC/HVAC system that operates more quietly and has a better output
  • updated steering wheel
  • making vented seats optional
  • updated headlight design to be a bit more sleek
  • new proximity locking hardware
  • 12v battery update
  • Faster charging/better charging curve thanks to either an updated pack design or 800v architecture
  • Rivian will find a way to cut 300 - 400 pounds off of the platform as well.

I don't think every single one of these will be addressed this go around, but maybe half or more seems reasonable.

Last edited:

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

I still don't believe we're going to see a whole lot of new features on the vehicle. What we're seeing at this point is Rivian trying to get profitable on each vehicle so I expect to see simplification of production and we already know that they're reducing the number of ECUs in the vehicle etc.

The vouchers are just another step towards that they're not going to custom produce vehicle for folks that have pre March 2022 pricing and those that do have to take delivery by September 30th or they lose their pricing. It's go time for Rivian. They need to get to profitability.

Introducing a bunch of new features and changes would bring more complexity. They need to reduce that. And reduce costs so I still don't think we're going to see a hugely refreshed vehicle here.

Of course I can only speculate since I have no inside information.
Sponsored